Thread: To clean or not to clean??

User Info Menu

Default To clean or not to clean??

I have my opinion(s) on this subject but I would like to hear yours. Why do you or don't you clean? What product(s) do you use and why? What do you use to apply and remove the products? Is there a noticeable difference in the tone/sound by ear or only seen on the grid after being picked up by mics? Does cleaning remove metal? Will it affect the value of a cymbal, especially vintage?
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

Default Re: To clean or not to clean??

I don't clean unless they are my A Customs. I get compliments on them all the time and are fingerprint free.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I never clean my cymbals. I feel that a little patina adds a mellow warmth that you just don't get from clean traditional or brilliant finish cymbals. This is just my opinion.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    I never clean my cymbals. I feel that a little patina adds a mellow warmth that you just don't get from clean traditional or brilliant finish cymbals. This is just my opinion.
    I agree. I don't like cleaning cymbals at all. The only reason I can think for cleaning would be to make them shine (obviously). Other than that there is no purpose. Quality cymbals, like other quality instruments, really benefit from "natural" aging and playing. I have too often seen modern and vintage cymbal values go down in value and worth because people clean them. Most drummers and collectors like the beautiful and natural patina cymbals develop over the years and the warm mellow tone(s) produced as a result of the patina and "dirt". Again, this is just my opinion based on many years experience and research and talking shop. Place two identical cymbals side by side, say, a 60's or 70's Zildjian ride, one in it's original condition and the other having been cleaned and 99% of the time the uncleaned cymbal will be more sought after and have a higher value. This goes for any size and type of cymbal. Like I said it's just my opinion but it is based on experience and research both personally and talking with other drummers and musicians.
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro

User Info Menu

I think that putting a NOS ride from the 60's against one that's been played for the last 50 years, regardless of cleaning status, would be an interesting experiment. I suspect the one that had been played for 50 years would probably sound better to me.

I suppose that uncleaned vintage cymbals may fetch a higher price, but I suspect that has to do with the logos being in good shape instead of being polished off.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    I think that putting a NOS ride from the 60's against one that's been played for the last 50 years, regardless of cleaning status, would be an interesting experiment. I suspect the one that had been played for 50 years would probably sound better to me.

I suppose that uncleaned vintage cymbals may fetch a higher price, but I suspect that has to do with the logos being in good shape instead of being polished off.
    Interesting experiment indeed. I suspect the NOS would put up a good fight against a played vintage. I would argue that the logos on a played vintage would have been worn off due to use unless we are talking one from the 80's, although I would argue weather it can be considered vintage if it's from the 80's. I have seen so many 80's cymbals online and in some stores say "vintage 80's..." but are they really vintage? I think the NOS would be a little brighter and crispy with more sustain and wash as opposed to the played vintage which would have a warmer and more mellow tone and less wash and sustain.
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drumsetsnide View Post
    I agree. I don't like cleaning cymbals at all. The only reason I can think for cleaning would be to make them shine (obviously). Other than that there is no purpose. Quality cymbals, like other quality instruments, really benefit from "natural" aging and playing. I have too often seen modern and vintage cymbal values go down in value and worth because people clean them. Most drummers and collectors like the beautiful and natural patina cymbals develop over the years and the warm mellow tone(s) produced as a result of the patina and "dirt". Again, this is just my opinion based on many years experience and research and talking shop. Place two identical cymbals side by side, say, a 60's or 70's Zildjian ride, one in it's original condition and the other having been cleaned and 99% of the time the uncleaned cymbal will be more sought after and have a higher value. This goes for any size and type of cymbal. Like I said it's just my opinion but it is based on experience and research both personally and talking with other drummers and musicians.
    In addition to my post above, the other reason I would not clean a cymbal is add water or any liquid to metal and you have started the process of oxidizing. Why would you want to do that? Add chemicals and cleaning agents, weather in the form of a spray liquid or pastie consistency and you just increase the reaction time and harshness. This creates a chasing your tail situation. Once you put chemicals, no matter how mild, the reaction process is started and you have to keep up on the cleaning. In addition, have you ever cleaned a cymbal and rubbed and rubbed and rubbed and used clean rag after clean rag only to find that there is still a little bit of that gray-black crud still coning off ? Unless they are smooth, a slight amount of those cleaning agents, especially in a thicker liquid or paste form, will always remain in the tonal grooves. I hate to see how this reacts with the metal (and it does). As for the sound, there is a slight difference between clean and aged cymbals. It can be noticed by those with a keen sense of hearing and it can be seen on the grid (Pro Tools) but they are subtle. Obviously older, aged cymbals have slightly less over-tones and wash with a nice warmth to them and the opposite for a clean one. If I want a clean, bright sound I pick a different cymbal from my arsenal. I do understand that people buy brilliant cymbals for various reasons, the biggest I suspect is because of the finish and I'm sure they would want to keep that polished look. Like I said these are just my opinions (most of them anyway as water and chemicals do interact with metal) and they are based on experience and research both personally and talking with other drummers and musicians. It's an ongoing debate. I love hearing different opinions. Keep 'em coming!
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro

User Info Menu

is this thread posted twice in two different rooms ?
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

I wipe mine down with wd40 every now and again.
    1997 DW collectors kit
    2010 ddrum dios m series kit
    1966 Ludwig acrolite
    Sabian/zildjian cymbals
    Dw/Tama/Pearl hardware

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by atomcorr2 View Post
    is this thread posted twice in two different rooms ?
    Yes it is. I originally posted it in this room and it didn't get too many responses. I didn't realize how to remove it so I posted it in another room that gets more views. I just went to the Forum Rules and I am in violation of the rule and I apologize. I simply wanted to get others opinions and advice and share mine on this topic. I will not, in the future, post the same thread in two rooms. I want nothing more than to enjoy this Forum and not violate rules. My apologies.
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro

User Info Menu

I started out cleaning my cymbals like a crazy man. Then I decided to limit my cleaning for one reason. It was wearing the labeling off. No I either keep them in my cymbal bag or keep them dusted off with a soft detailing towel. Every once in a while I'll get the Paiste cleaner out.

As mentioned above, I use the Paiste cleaner. I have tried the Sabian spray on cleaner but I prefer the Paiste cleaner. It get's them very clean. I usually go over each cymbal with a warm wet rag after the cleaner and then a towel dry. Results in a nice shine.

As far as patina and sound I can't say for sure one way or another. If so it's very slight.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride