Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Buddy Rich - Famous Drummers

User Info Menu

Default Re: Buddy Rich

http://youtu.be/0vQFTqDKfhc

This was always 1 of my favorites. I was sitting about 10 feet in front of the band when they played it. It was the first time I had heard it and when the trumpets kick in, it sent a chill down my back.

I wish the sound quality was better, but, what can you do.

Anyway, this is Backwoods Sideman.

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Buddy Rich

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I lived on about a 1/2 hour drive from his clubs, so when I was in the area, I might be there 4 nights a week.

He never remembered my name, I was either drummer or kid, but he was always nice to me.

Sometimes we would have conversations depending on how busy he was. One night we talked cars for about a 1/2 hour (we seldom talked drums) and he even walked with me to look at the AMX I had.

I think he liked to talk to someone that had a lot of the same interests that he had. We both loved fast cars, he was in WWII, I was in Nam, karate.

At the same time, I am in no way implying that we were hanging out friends. He was a nice guy that, away from the spotlight, was a interesting man to talk to.

As for the ashtrays. I gave a couple to close friends of mine, my sister (who was a big fan even though she could only play the radio) has 1, my mother had 1, that since she passed last year, hasn't turned up, so the 1 in the album is the only 1 I have left.
    Great story man I had a Gremlin X with a 343 in it and I almost traded it on Javelin AMX but did'nt. I loved that little car wish I would of kept it oh well that's life. I was only joking about the ashtray LOL.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Great story man I had a Gremlin X with a 343 in it and I almost traded it on Javelin AMX but did'nt. I loved that little car wish I would of kept it oh well that's life. I was only joking about the ashtray LOL.

I had a '74 with the 401, 4 speed. Manhattan Speed shop did the motor over. Best at Englishtown was 12.4 @ 109.

I still think that they are slick looking cars. I regret selling mine.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I had a '74 with the 401, 4 speed. Manhattan Speed shop did the motor over. Best at Englishtown was 12.4 @ 109.

I still think that they are slick looking cars. I regret selling mine.
    When I bought my 1973 Gremlin it had a 304 from factory but I blew that up pretty quick so I dropped a stock 343 4 bbl ( 280 HP ) out of a Javelin AMX with a 4speed. Never had it on a racetrack or anything but I know that I smoked a couple muscle cars off the line.Went through a set of tires a month. I ended up installing traction bars on it cause I snapped the leaf springs on a take off once from the rear end bouncing like a ball LOL good old days.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 03-26-2012 at 01:32 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by VIbes View Post
    I remember Mr Rich saying one night on "The Tonight Show" that he did not play as many clubs but high schools as far as his touring went.
    I didn't realize this until I read your post and did some research. Buddy recorded an album in my hometown at a high school in Sacramento back in 1978. Thanks for that bit of information!

Here's my Buddy Rich story:

I had a front row seat when Buddy Rich came to Sacramento's old Woodlake Inn back in the early '80s. I skipped out on going to one of my college classes and snuck my way into the venue very early in the morning and waited for 6 hours before the doors opened.

It was during that waiting period that I had a chance to see the band stands being set up as I hid near the back of the hall hoping to go unnoticed. The doors finally opened and I found myself still inside unnoticed. I should of held on to my ticket but instead, decided to play it safe and made my way outside to the line.

The show was unreal. Buddy called out chart numbers and within a few counts the band went into full gear. The drum solo was one I'll never forget. He got up during his solo to play his cymbal stands as he made a 360 around the kit.

When my time finally comes I can proudly say... "Yup, I've seen Buddy Rich play...."

User Info Menu

I wish I could of seen Buddy when I was younger. For those who did see him like Late8 and Rickthedrummer I envy you. Those are memories that stay with you for the rest of your life. Buddy was and always be the best drummer ever in that era. At least I can say I saw Neil Peart perform a couple of times over the years and he is also an amazing drummer.

User Info Menu

I wish I could of seen Buddy when I was younger. For those who did see him like Late8 and Rickthedrummer I envy you. Those are memories that stay with you for the rest of your life. Buddy was and always be the best drummer ever in that era. At least I can say I saw Neil Peart perform a couple of times over the years and he is also an amazing drummer.

The good thing about living close to New York City back in the 60's, 70's, and on into the 80's, was that you could go there any night, and see great players.

There were so many places where you could get in to a jam session. Sometimes I would be playing at 5-6 in the morning.

The sad thing is, so many of those clubs are long gone.

User Info Menu

Buddy RIch and Gene Krupa, The Masters of drumming. They pretty much started the drum solo fad. Can't thank em more :P
    Specs

Drums: Gretsch Catalina Maple (Dark Cherry Burst) 8,10,12,14,16 toms 14 snare 22 bass
    Heads: Remo Pinstripes over Ambassadors on toms
    Bass: Stock Grestch stock reso and Evans EC2 batter
    Snare: Ambassador over Ambassador reso, PureSound Snares
    Cymbals: Zildjian A MasterSound HiHats 14"
    Sabian Xs20 Crashes 16"/18"
    Zildjian 20th Anniversary A Custom ride 21"
    Wuhan Splashes 8"/10"
    Wuhan China 16"

http://www.facebook.com/AWorkInProgressBand

^^^Like my band!!^^^

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Frazzetto View Post
    Buddy RIch and Gene Krupa, The Masters of drumming. They pretty much started the drum solo fad. Can't thank em more :P
    Yes they were man I was watching a movie the other day that was from the big band era and noticed that the drumkit had the initial GK in the bass drum then it hit me Gene Krupa. He was not in the movie but the kit was, not sure if was an original though.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Buddy Rich - Famous Drummers

http://youtu.be/nwAuLszbu68

This is maybe his best concert on DVD.

You have to bear with the Russian part before the concert.
    Last edited by rickthedrummer; 07-20-2012 at 01:04 AM. Reason: ----

User Info Menu

I found this pic of young Buddy playing a drum in a Vaudeville show,not sure what age he was though. He was known as "Traps the Drum Wonder."

Notice in the pic below how he is holding his drumstick with his right hand. Kind of unusual way.

Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 11-16-2012 at 01:24 PM.

User Info Menu

I found this pic of young Buddy playing a drum in a Vaudeville show,not sure what age he was though. He was known as "Traps the Drum Wonder."

Notice in the pic below how he is holding his drumstick with his right hand. Kind of unusual way.

That picture is reversed.

User Info Menu

Thanks Rick I was hoping you would of seen this cause you have seen Buddy play in person many times.

User Info Menu

im just in awe watching in drum on a 4 piece...what was his main cymbal set-up??

User Info Menu

I've posted this before. I'd like to add to it.

My father was an elevator mechanic for many years. He serviced and maintained elevators in hundreds of buildings around the area we lived. One of those buildings was a large theater that hosted live music shows and theatrical productions. Over the years my dad got to know most all of the theaters administrative people. To say he was "well liked" is an understatement.

One day my dad found out that Buddy Rich and his band had been booked at the theater. He spoke with the theater manager and asked if he could reserve some good tickets. He told the theater manager that it would be a surprise for his son, who was a drummer. The manager told my dad that he would see what he could do but that he indeed would be able to get him some tickets set aside and he would be able to pick them up the next time he was in to service the elevators.

A few weeks later my dad went to the theater for his scheduled maintenance visit. After he finished his work, he had the theaters maintenance manager sign his work order sheet. As they were talking the theater's Manager came in and handed my Dad an envelope.....inside the envelope was two tickets for the Buddy Rich show. The manager gave my Dad tickets front row and dead center! They were the best seats in the house.

We went to the show, and it was great, I was so close to the stage, you could hear him panting in between songs, and you could here him barking instructions to other bandmembers. It was just an awesome sight to see and hear. He blistered those drums. Just an incredible show.

After the show as we began to leave, my dad took me through a side door and back "behind the scenes". It wasn't back stage, but an area where only stage crew and theater workers were allowed. It was also where Buddy's tour bus was parked.

My dad walked me up to the bus and the bus driver opened the door. He invited us into the bus and asked us if we wanted to see Buddy. I sheepeishly nodded yes....(My eyes were as big as saucers) and before I had a chance to even think about it, out came Buddy, still sweating and wrapped in a white terrycloth robe.

He sat down, looked at me and asked if I was a drummer. I remember answering "yes'....but don't really remember much of anything else.......I was speechless and amazed. I do remember that he autographed my program, and I still have it tucked away in a Buddy Rich record.

I still catch myself daydreaming about that night.....just an amazing, amazing happening that I will never ever forget.

For what it's worth...According to the book TRAPS THE DRUM WONDER - that above picture was taken in 1925 when Buddy was 8. I highly recommend the book. It was written by his best friend Mel Torme, is a wonderful read and full of great facts, stories and sidebars.

I know he looks smaller in that picture, but I remember reading in the book that his father (Robert) contacted Ludwig Drums and ordered the largest bass drum they had, this would make Buddy seem even smaller. Vaudeville audiences were keen on novelty things and Robert felt he had to make Buddy's "act" as novel as he could for as long as possible. In fact...Buddy argued with his father for years about the Buster Brown haircut. His father finally let him cut it when he was 12. (second pic)

Buddy's Dad also had a lot of legal issues with Buddy. Each state and city had strict child laws and provisions for young actors, singers, dancers, musicians or any child in the entertainment business. Because Buddy was very popular, a big draw, and made a lot of money. His visibility attracted the authorities much more than others. His Dad was forced to ignore these laws and pay the fines, which he did frequently.

In many towns he actually had to "pay off" the authorities.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

....and for what it's worth. I don't believe that's a photo of Buddy when he was 8. I think it's a photo of Buddy when he was 4 or 5 signed in 1925 (when he was 8 years old).
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Interesting stuff Eddie thanks for sharing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EddieV View Post
    ....and for what it's worth. I don't believe that's a photo of Buddy when he was 8. I think it's a photo of Buddy when he was 4 or 5 signed in 1925 (when he was 8 years old).
    It's been quite a few years, but I read the book as well. Very good book if anyone is interested.

I also remember Buddy only being like 3 or 4 in that picture. He was born in 1917, so if he signed it in 1925, it would have made him around 8 yrs. old at that time.
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    Incredible!

What else is there to say but, WOW!!

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    Buddy was a great storyteller too. And check out this video, especially from 6:15 onwards when Parky asks Buddy if he could play on anything.

Very entertaining. I can't get the smile off my face.

Great stories from Rick. I am going to order the book right now!!
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

I was on my day off from the job I was working, I lived in brooklyn. I went to manhattan to a music store, to buy drum sticks. It was during the middle of the week.
    Buddy Rich walks in with some other guy. It was only me, the guy that work at the store, Buddy and his friend. I walk over to Buddy and said hello, he shaked my hand and we spoke for a few minutes. He was buying drum sticks. I asked him if he was playing in NY. He said, Yea, my big band is playing tonight on the South Sea Port pier at at a restaurant. I said, Sir, I will see you there tonight. I went and bought tickets to his show, got there early, sat at a table close to his drum kit, ate a good diner and watched his awesome drumming. I still have his tickets. Long before this, I used to take lessons form a drummer in brooklyn and he taught the Buddy Rich drum Method to his students. At that time, I never heard of Buddy Rich, I was only 12 yrs old. I didn't know much about drumming, I knew about Gene Krupa, because there was a movie about Krupa on tv, called the."The Gene Krupa Story". I was either 9 or 10 yrs old. I loved the way krupa played, so I actually studied the Krupa drum method, before the Buddy Rich Method.
    Meeting Buddy Rich - Does life get any better than that, at least for me it doesn't.

Rick, I used to go to a studio in mid manhattan with other musicians and play. Mel Lewis played there all the time, I used to see Mr Lewis in the studio quite often, There were several different playing rooms in the studio building. I never spoke to him, because I didn't want to bother him in that environment. I believe Mel's band was the regular weekly band that played the Blue Note Jazz Club in Greenwich Village manhattan.
    Last edited by Jackie; 11-18-2012 at 06:09 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie View Post
    I was on my day off from the job I was working, I lived in brooklyn. I went to manhattan to a music store, to buy drum sticks. It was during the middle of the week.
    Buddy Rich walks in with some other guy. It was only me, the guy that work at the store, Buddy and his friend. I walk over to Buddy and said hello, he shaked my hand and we spoke for a few minutes. He was buying drum sticks. I asked him if he was playing in NY. He said, Yea, my big band is playing tonight on the South Sea Port pier at at a restaurant. I said, Sir, I will see you there tonight. I went and bought tickets to his show, got there early, sat at a table close to his drum kit, ate a good diner and watched his awesome drumming. I still have his tickets. Long before this, I used to take lessons form a drummer in brooklyn and he taught the Buddy Rich drum Method to his students. At that time, I never heard of Buddy Rich, I was only 12 yrs old. I didn't know much about drumming, I knew about Gene Krupa, because there was a movie about Krupa on tv, called the."The Gene Krupa Story". I was either 9 or 10 yrs old. I loved the way krupa played, so I actually studied the Krupa drum method, before the Buddy Rich Method.
    Meeting Buddy Rich - Does life get any better than that, at least for me it doesn't.

Rick, I used to go to a studio in mid manhattan with other musicians and play. Mel Lewis played there all the time, I used to see Mr Lewis in the studio quite often, There were several different playing rooms in the studio building. I never spoke to him, because I didn't want to bother him in that environment. I believe Mel's band was the regular weekly band that played the Blue Note Jazz Club in Greenwich Village manhattan.

I knew Mel very casually, mainly from Buddy's club. He was a hell of a nice man.

I think what you are thinking of is the Thad Jones-Mel Lewis band that played Monday nights at the Village Vanguard.

If it's the studio I'm thinking of, there was a floor in that building that had abot 5-6 drum teachers there, including Shawn, in the early 70's. If it had very narrow hallways, it's the same one.

User Info Menu

I not sure of about the Blue Note, because alot of famous drummers would play their for long periods of time, until they went on the road or some other gig came up. I wish now, that I introduced myself to Mr. Lewis, just to say hello.

User Info Menu

I don't know about you guys, but I'm Buddy Rich when I fly off the handle.

User Info Menu

Dig this. Buddy and Ed Shaughnessy. Haven't seen much footage of Ed playing with one bass drum, so this was a nice surprise. And of course, seeing these two play is a treat in itself.

"...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Dont forget he played on remo heads with vic firth drumsticks