Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crush Acrylic Drums????

User Info Menu

Default Re: Crush Acrylic Drums????

vistalites acompared to new style acrylic shells , when i put the luds the drumcraft and the spawn kit side by side ..

the luds were the worst (very dry) , but this is my personal taste

play them, if they sing then get them

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    vistalites acompared to new style acrylic shells , when i put the luds the drumcraft and the spawn kit side by side ..

the luds were the worst (very dry) , but this is my personal taste

play them, if they sing then get them
    I read an article that was talking about true vintage Vistalites and newer production acrylic shells. Apparently the old Ludwigs were notorious for coming apart at the seam, and the V seams were rarely fully filled. Aside from that they usually had small bubbles and other other flaws as well.

I think a much better option if you really had a hankering for an acrylic kit, would be to bite the bullet and put together your own acrylic kit - it wouldn't be a Vistalite, but on the bright side, it wouldn't be a Vistalite - kinda depends on how you'd want to look at it.

1000 (Unless the censorship thread gets axed)
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    What they say about the acrylics.
    they didnt, it was a review on the Sublime 5 pc maple.
    the fit, finish and hardware topnotch, sound great.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kyle102565 View Post
    they didnt, it was a review on the Sublime 5 pc maple.
    the fit, finish and hardware topnotch, sound great.
    Saw that review also, was quite impressed....on another note, those acrylics are sexy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Good look and price from what I hear. However, I would concern myself more with how they hold up. If something seems too good to be true it probably is- RCI doing the shells for Crush seems unlikely if they are sold at this low of a price. A genuine RCI starlite kick is no cheap item, the shell alone for a 22x18 is around $300usd before any modifications are done to it such as drilling/edge profiles. I consider starlites the keller grade of the acrylic world, and Ddrum's old acrylic offerings weren't that great in my opinion, as Ddrum has a reputation for iffy quality control in the past. They may be on the rise, but I think it will take some extensive field testing before you can label them as reliable as their competitors from brands like Tama and Ludwig.
    I E-mailed the seller and asked if I could get the kit with a second kick drum. He said it would be an additional $349.00 for the second kick.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kazaamski View Post
    So what happened to the whole "This is gonna be my final drumset of my life deal", NPYYZ? :D
    Funny, that's the same thing my wife asked.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    Funny, that's the same thing my wife asked.
    ...mine says the same thing...I thought you said you were done.....or "do you really NEED this cymbal/drum"?
    Last edited by longgun; 01-19-2012 at 09:00 AM.

User Info Menu

Those sound absolutely fantastic!

User Info Menu

I E-mailed the seller and asked if I could get the kit with a second kick drum. He said it would be an additional $349.00 for the second kick.
    That's not too bad of a price for a good sounding kick! About the price of mid level kick drums, maybe a bit under. I haven't seen that many double bass acrylic setups, might be a lot of fun to play one. I'd still like to hear more feedback from kit owners before I regarded it as a reliable "best deal on acrylic" kit.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I noticed the warranty is 2 years.........that should be enough time to see if they hold up well.

Does anyone know what heads Crush is putting on these drums ?

User Info Menu

I wish that kit had a bass drum tom mount. Sounds nice in the video.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Just thought I'd come back to this thread for an update. Obviously I didn't by the Crush Acrylic kit. Someone grabbed it before I could make up my mind. However I've been searching E-bay for another 7 piece crush acrylic kit and there are none, only 5 piece.

So today I was at my local drum shop and I asked if they could get me the 7 piece kit for that same price. They said they had cut ties with Crush because they had heard that several of the Acrylic shells were cracking and had to be replaced and they didn't want their customers to have to deal with that. So to good to be true I guess.

User Info Menu

Just thought I'd come back to this thread for an update. Obviously I didn't by the Crush Acrylic kit. Someone grabbed it before I could make up my mind. However I've been searching E-bay for another 7 piece crush acrylic kit and there are none, only 5 piece.

So today I was at my local drum shop and I asked if they could get me the 7 piece kit for that same price. They said they had cut ties with Crush because they had heard that several of the Acrylic shells were cracking and had to be replaced and they didn't want their customers to have to deal with that. So to good to be true I guess.
    drum craft

User Info Menu

A hard lesson learned: don't hurry out and buy the newest thing because it sounds good on paper. Wait for the feedback on it, make sure it's tried and true before dropping your paycheck on it.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

UPDATE: This info I got about the Crush Acrylics was just not sitting right with me. The kits look to be very well made and they sound excellent so I decided to contact Crush directly.

I express my interest in getting one of their Acrylic kits and also my concerns that I was informed that there were problems with the shells cracking.

I received a response from Mike Swenson - Creative Director and Co Founder of Crush Drums. He assured me there have been no issues with the Acrylic shells cracking other then a few shipping mishaps, and in that case the drums that were damaged were replaced. He also went on to say if any customer has any quality issues with any Crush drum they will take care of it immediately.

So it seems I was given some bad info on the shells cracking. Just wanted to clear that up.
    Last edited by NPYYZ; 05-22-2012 at 05:19 AM.

User Info Menu

That's good to hear as this kit is high on my list of possible next purchases. From your previous post, it seemed like a lot of hear-say...as your dealer didn't say they specifically got cracked shells, just heard rumors.
    DW Performance Series
    Peavey Radial Pro RBS-1
    Roland TDW-20

Gibraltar rack system
    Sabian AA/AAX/HHX/Vault
    Tama pedals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Digital View Post
    That's good to hear as this kit is high on my list of possible next purchases. From your previous post, it seemed like a lot of hear-say...as your dealer didn't say they specifically got cracked shells, just heard rumors.
    Yeah, me too. I've always wanted an acrylic kit. I e-mailed him back to see if I could buy direct from them and not go through a dealer.

User Info Menu

I thought I would post because I've heard this kit in person, as well as Vistilites a lot of times. The Crush acrylic kit sounds incredible, it's like playing on a good maple kit. IMO there is no comparing them to other acrylic drums I've heard. The local shop said they would sell me a 6pc for ~$1200 but I have a good relationship with them.
    DWPS 7pc

User Info Menu

i too have a crush on crush drums
    if you ask a drummer what time it is?!? they're likely to respond with a time signature "oh, it's 4/4"....

User Info Menu

you guys are making me want an acrylic kit... STOP IT! haha

User Info Menu

Looks like I may be pulling the trigger on one of these kits. I'm just waiting for info on the set up I want and the price.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    Those sound absolutely fantastic!
    I realize it involved good tuning and studio adjustment/miking, but the vid of the kit really got me. I would play a kit that sounded like that, with or without miking, any time.
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way." (Buddy Rich)

"How do you keep 90 people together with one stick? I've got two sticks and i can't keep 5 people together." (Ian Paice)