Thread: better recording

User Info Menu

Default better recording

As some of you may know i do some drum videos now and again all i use is a single mic usb to my PC using acoustica. I would like do a better recording of my drums. All i need is enough mics for a 6 pc set 2 crashed a splash ride and hats. I dont know what to buy i know i need mics wire and a mixer but dont know what types i would like all to go to my pc no buget limit just need info.

User Info Menu

Default Re: better recording

a small but still nice sounding audio interface and a matched pair of condensers will make it sound better ..

what do you record the video with?

User Info Menu

Right now my biggest obstacle isn't the hardware - it's the knowledge. I don't know how to set up a snare mic so that I get that phat/pow snare sound without clipping things out. I figure that I have to keep gain lower, but the trick is probably compression settings and gating, but I just don't know enough about it yet.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

Tom mics are sometimes desired but not always necessary. You have hit the nail on the head if you are choosing to go the route of simplicity and nothing overly complicated- a usb mic is one of the least expensive ways to record digitally that I have seen, assuming you have a DAW of some sort ready(you can also use field recorders for simple easy recordings). It will be fine for one mix, but bears the disadvantage of not being able to change settings for each drum individually. This is where having more than one microphone comes into play(I went a little overboard and have dynamic mics on all my drums so I can fine tune to my liking). I don't have enough experience with various brands and models of mics to recommend which are good and which are bad, I can only comment on my Samson Q series for the drums and MXL 990/991's for room and cymbals. I feel like they are adequate for my purposes.

The MXL 990's are my favorites out of what I use, I hear a bit of chorus-like depth and good presence overall as room mics- although be warned that they are susceptible to denting so do take care when you set them up and move them around. Fairly cheap stuff, but I wanted cheap so I would be challenged into getting a good sound and not have it handed to me out of the box like you see with higher end gear. If I can make cheap sound expensive, then I figure i'm definitely doing something right. It's still a work in progress, my past recordings have been kind of unprofessionally done using mics that plugged into an analog mixer which used a field recorder to then record what I mixed. Painfully learned at a later date to just get a recording interface- it's much more suited to the task. So now I have a phonic 808 for recording, and I don't use the mixer much these days. I also use whirlwind cables, which aren't the nicest but they were affordable and so far i've been able to rely on them. I like Mogami silver series a bit more, but I was bound by a budget and had to stick to it.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trickg View Post
    Right now my biggest obstacle isn't the hardware - it's the knowledge. I don't know how to set up a snare mic so that I get that phat/pow snare sound without clipping things out. I figure that I have to keep gain lower, but the trick is probably compression settings and gating, but I just don't know enough about it yet.
    start a new thread and i will help you