Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drum Rugs and Marking

User Info Menu

Default Drum Rugs and Marking

OK guys, as I'm sure you all know by know, I'm doing my first gig at a youth event at a friend's church. I'll be hauling my gear over there (or asking someone to help me, depending on what my surgeon says - just had a hernia surgery a week ago). Here's the thing: I want to make the setup of the kit as easy as possible, so I am marking everything as to position. I have seen that many mark the drum rug with tape, and I thought I would do that too. My question is what type of tape to use, since I'll be rolling up the rug for transport, and I can see that if I don't use the right tape, it could move. Do I have to go with Duct Tape, or is there something else that is used? Thanks for the help. Being brand new at this, I'm just trying to cover my bases.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum Rugs and Marking

I use a bold black magic marker and trace ....therefore I WIN.
    Most definitely. As a matter of fact, there will be "NO LIMIT"... just an unending quagmire of musical genius.

User Info Menu

I'd use cloth medical/sports tape. It sticks really well, is easy to use because it tears off where every you want it, both horizontally and vertically, it's bright, and as a cloth tape, it won't go anywhere when you move your rug.

I thought about marking my drum rug - the Protection Racket drum rug - but I really don't have too many things on my rug, and it all sets up pretty easily. If I had a bigger kit, maybe, but as it stands right now, the only thing I mark are all the setup points on my stands.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

I would go with Trick's suggestion. It's thinner and would probably be more practical than duct tape.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trickg View Post
    I'd use cloth medical/sports tape. It sticks really well, is easy to use because it tears off where every you want it, both horizontally and vertically, it's bright, and as a cloth tape, it won't go anywhere when you move your rug.

I thought about marking my drum rug - the Protection Racket drum rug - but I really don't have too many things on my rug, and it all sets up pretty easily. If I had a bigger kit, maybe, but as it stands right now, the only thing I mark are all the setup points on my stands.
    Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I would go with Trick's suggestion. It's thinner and would probably be more practical than duct tape.
    Cool guys. I have a bunch of athletic tape leftover from my days as a chiropractor. I hadn't thought of it, so I really appreciate it! Easy to make notes on, too!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Cool guys. I have a bunch of athletic tape leftover from my days as a chiropractor. I hadn't thought of it, so I really appreciate it! Easy to make notes on, too!
    I like the athletic tape idea but I used a sharpie. Advantage of tape, you can remove it if you ever reposition things and make notes on it like you said. Advantage of a sharpie, it's thin, permanent and not as noticeable.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

The truth is that I'm just fussy enough not to want permanent markings on the rug (blame my parents for that voice in my head ). It would make the markings less visible to others, though.

User Info Menu

We used spike tape at the old company. I believe it's just brightly colored gaff cut into 1/2 inch wide rolls. The trick is also to remember which stand goes to which marking. You use a rack though, so I don't know how much marking will help. Plan to be early for set up =D.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

i just use duck tape, i't does me fine, i didn't even know to do this untill i saw it in a magazine a few months ago, I't's a really good idea.

Cheers mark
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

My roadies use the number system. Put the white tape around the base of the cymbal stand, just below the wing nut. Mark it #1. Then, mark the white tape on the rug #1. Keep doing this with each piece, for the tom arms too. Each piece has it's own number. The crew setting up your drums then just follows the number system and it all works beautifully.

User Info Menu

The gaff tape is a good idea too, (and I mean real gaff tape - not duck tape that is sometimes sold as gaff tape) but gaff tape is a bit more costly and not quite as easy to come by. Athletic tape can be picked up at any drugstore and is probably cheaper, but it's not going to be as durable.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

I would use gaffer's 1" wide tape and pick up a white fabric marker by Sharpie at the fabric store

edit: and write on the gaffer's tape

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steveplaysyamaha View Post
    I would use gaffer's 1" wide tape and pick up a white fabric marker by Sharpie at the fabric store

edit: and write on the gaffer's tape
    Good idea - best of both worlds!

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

My roadies use the number system. Put the white tape around the base of the cymbal stand, just below the wing nut. Mark it #1. Then, mark the white tape on the rug #1. Keep doing this with each piece, for the tom arms too. Each piece has it's own number. The crew setting up your drums then just follows the number system and it all works beautifully.
    Sounds like a good system....now I just need some roadies

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MR. G View Post
    I use a bold black magic marker and trace ....therefore I WIN.
    Yep, so do I.

User Info Menu

Fluorescent gaffer tape. Easier to see in the semi-dark of the club stages I've played on.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

You have roadies?
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Smile Re: Drum Rugs and Marking

Quote Originally Posted by Kazaamski View Post
    You have roadies?
    You don't have roadies?
    Have a nice day.
    Dad3353 (Douglas...)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dad3353 View Post
    You don't have roadies?

User Info Menu

whats a roadie ? I WIN
    Most definitely. As a matter of fact, there will be "NO LIMIT"... just an unending quagmire of musical genius.

doctor dirt Guest

If you need to mark where your stands go you have to many hahahaha!!! Get back to basics with a 4 pc kit (1 up 1 down) and 2 cymbals that both can be used as rides and crashes. Doing this when your young prepares you for ADAP ("adult drummers aging proccess".)Put your bass drum in front of the stool.........rest.........then put the toms in place........rest.......set snare and HH up rest...........put cymbals up......rest.......decline a vocal mic cause your throat hurtz just enough to not be able to sing but good enough to talk to the waitress..........rest.........you forgot the kick pedal DAMN IT!!! and Remember This.............if its NOT on wheels it stays HOME!! Doing my once a month gig tonite with exactly what I just described, its really all you need. Unless your young and have a need to play ..extra stuff!! Doc

.......and ofcourse the drum mics and get them nice & loud too!!!

User Info Menu

i can set my kits up in my sleep. 30 plus years of it. never marked a rug in my life.
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

On a side note, I had hernia surgery last summer and had a friend haul my drums for a gig until I was cleared. My doc told me 2 weeks. Don't push it but I promise it will be nearly impossible for you to resist moving your snare a quarter inch or your hi hat a little to the left. They both exceed the weight limits of a post-hernia patient.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rmandelbaum View Post
    i can set my kits up in my sleep. 30 plus years of it. Never marked a rug in my life.
    +1

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySticks View Post
    On a side note, I had hernia surgery last summer and had a friend haul my drums for a gig until I was cleared. My doc told me 2 weeks. Don't push it but I promise it will be nearly impossible for you to resist moving your snare a quarter inch or your hi hat a little to the left. They both exceed the weight limits of a post-hernia patient.
    I just had my second hernia surgery 2 weeks ago tomorrow. After the first week, I had to keep telling myself to be a good boy on the lifting. The biggest thing I have noticed is how fast I still wear out. Doctor Dirt's advice is looking mighty good right about now!