This was my project for the morning

Two 3/4" Plywood rounds
    One Lazy Susan
    Some careful layout
    Laminate Spray Glue
    Felt
    about 40 bux.
    Orchard Supply Hardware
    Last edited by ThePloughman; 02-05-2012 at 12:19 AM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum Tuning Turntable

excellent
    Drums... That's how I roll!

http://facebook.com/davewilson831

The Gretsch Drums Woodshed

User Info Menu

Very cool project Ploughman! Did you find the Lazy Susan bearing at a hardware store?
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

"Just when mankind was on the verge of thinking a Lazy Susan only had one practical use, ThePloughman changed it all".
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

Only a suggestion here would an older round drum seat do the same thing. The seat would damper the one head while you tune the other and it would rotate around like a lazy susan but the height would be adjustable. Just wondered what you guys think of it.

User Info Menu

I miss my old Supraphonic

User Info Menu

Excellent! Great work. Any details on how you put it together welcome.

I've wanted to construct something like that ever since seeing the turntable in the video below.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl9wgXSfxew"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl9wgXSfxew[/ame]
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way." (Buddy Rich)

"How do you keep 90 people together with one stick? I've got two sticks and i can't keep 5 people together." (Ian Paice)

User Info Menu

I'll take one. What's the ship time?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Only a suggestion here would an older round drum seat do the same thing. The seat would damper the one head while you tune the other and it would rotate around like a lazy susan but the height would be adjustable. Just wondered what you guys think of it.
    I think it would work alright for drums up to 12" but would be very difficult to keep a larger drum stable and balanced, like a 14" or 16".

Also there is a member on here, Wolvie56, who has been using a lazy susan for some time to tune. It's a great idea.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

Looks good. Not too expensive either, great project.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I made one foe $16 bucks a few months ago. I used a 9" lazy Susan bearing (the flat round kind) that I got off eBay for $9, a 17" round top already made at the depot for $7 I think, and gorilla glued a carpet remnant on top. Works perfect!
    1997 DW collectors kit
    2010 ddrum dios m series kit
    1966 Ludwig acrolite
    Sabian/zildjian cymbals
    Dw/Tama/Pearl hardware

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drumsetsnide View Post
    I think it would work alright for drums up to 12" but would be very difficult to keep a larger drum stable and balanced, like a 14" or 16".

Also there is a member on here, Wolvie56, who has been using a lazy susan for some time to tune. It's a great idea.
    So how would a bigger drum fit on the lazy susan pictured cause it sure doesn't look that wide. He has a 14 snare on there so anything over that would be absolute would'nt it.

ThePloughman Guest

This one has a 17 3/4" footprint. That will comfortably accomodate any drum up to a 16 floor tom. Plus, when it isnt in use, I can just pick it up and put it in the same cabinet I store spare heads. Any thing bigger begins to take up too much space. For assembly or disassembly, or tuning of up to 16 floor toms this is exactly what I need. And its primary use will be for snare drums.

As for assembly instructions, the package the 12" lazy susan came with had excellent instructions for assembly. The most difficult part is the exact layout needed for the rotation to be perfectly circular. If you do the layout right and follow the directions, its a piece of cake. Felt is a very flexible material, and will stretch to make it possible to do the fold over on the sides and have no bunching of residual material.

User Info Menu

Those are cool. Been thinking about making one ever since I saw the posted video when I first joined DC. Can't wait to make mine.

Thanks for sharing Ploughman!!!
    Ludwig 8 piece
    Paiste Sigs
    Mapex Mars Pro 5 piece

User Info Menu

very nice ,, i think i need one of those. thanks
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Wonderful! Thx for info Ploughman and Deedubs
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way." (Buddy Rich)

"How do you keep 90 people together with one stick? I've got two sticks and i can't keep 5 people together." (Ian Paice)

User Info Menu

So how would a bigger drum fit on the lazy susan pictured cause it sure doesn't look that wide. He has a 14 snare on there so anything over that would be absolute would'nt it.
    At first I thought the same thing. But looking closer there is an inch or two around the whole drum so if you slid the drum to one side that would leave two to four inches. Plenty of room for a 16" tom. And later in his post he says there is a 17 3/4" footprint...oops, missed that. Sorry.
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro

User Info Menu

Guys! help me here. How exactly does a lazy susan help you to tune a drum??

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Guys! help me here. How exactly does a lazy susan help you to tune a drum??

all the best...
    Check out post #7.
    1997 DW collectors kit
    2010 ddrum dios m series kit
    1966 Ludwig acrolite
    Sabian/zildjian cymbals
    Dw/Tama/Pearl hardware

User Info Menu

I think it works great. I mounted a 1/4" thick, 17" diameter piece of plywood onto a 10" diameter lazy Susan. I stapled carpet onto the surface. I use a folded up towel as well to deaden the head. I like it. Works well. I can tune up to a 16" drum on it. Doesn't wobble around at all. Nice and level. Thanks for the plug, drumsetsnide.

Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolvie56 View Post
    I think it works great. I mounted a 1/4" thick, 17" diameter piece of plywood onto a 10" diameter lazy Susan. I stapled carpet onto the surface. I use a folded up towel as well to deaden the head. I like it. Works well. I can tune up to a 16" drum on it. Doesn't wobble around at all. Nice and level. Thanks for the plug, drumsetsnide.

Your welcome Wolvie. No problem.
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro

ThePloughman Guest

As most of you know by now, most of the drums I buy are vintage. Some vintage drums come to me in excellent condition. Others, not so much. Often a drum arrives needing new heads, wires, and anything from minor to deep cleaning.

Removing hoops and heads from a snare or a tom isnt all that much of a hassle. Howver once you flip that naked bearing edge over, either you are stuck holding the drum at that point or spinning it around, naked, on a table top... to further accomplish anything you do with it. The possibilities for damage to the bearing edge are endless. And that doesnt even begin the chore of a complete disassembly of a drum for further cleaning. This is a stage that can be quite risky to the drum, even if you see no apparent damage to the shell, hardware, fasteners, wrap or finish. One slip of a screw driver on old slotted head fasteners can result in a perfect piece being damaged. Some of these vintage fasteners are irreplaceble. Even close matches from the local hardware store will reduce value. Removing lugs from a shell dressed in a vintage wrap is a test of patience at times. Hurrying can result in irreparable splits in the wrap at the point of contact with the lug holes. Having a drum slip or tilt at the wrong moment can cost literally hundreds of dollars.

After seeing one of these in use on the DW videos, and seeing examples built by others, (such as the one above), I felt pretty sure this would be a good piece of equipment to have in the garage shop. The size I created is to me ideal for most work. If it proves I want this bigger for use on 18" or 20" or larger drums, I think adding a second round, possibly 24 or 26 inches, with locking blocks, that can center the larger table over the smaller, and prevent it from becoming off centered, really is not that hard to do. 75-80% of any given persons drum collection is going to be primarily 16 or smaller in diameter.

I assembled and tuned a whole lot of drums over the years without one of these, and right now, I am kind of happy to have one. Is it a "must have" item, ....definitely not, but it will sure be a great convenience.

User Info Menu

I use an old LP turntable.

But ya gotta be really fast because it turns at 33 1/2 RPM
    “I did not trip and fall. I attacked the floor and I believe I am winning.”

User Info Menu

Awesome. I never thought to use a lazy susan. I work at a furniture warehouse and I just scoped the parts dept and they had five that they never send out to anyone. So I'm writing one off and I'm gonna staple or glue some carpeting to the top. It's about 18"dia So I should be able to up to a 16" with ease.
    Last edited by TOE KNEE; 02-07-2012 at 12:44 PM.
    DRUMS
    Fibes Clear Crystalite, 22"/16"/12"
    SNARES
    Pork Pie Piglite Amber Acrylic, 13x7"
    Mapex Black Panther Hand Hammered Steel, 14x6"
    CYMBALS
    Sabian AAX-celerator 15" Hi-hats
    Sabian AA 17" Medium Thin Crash
    Sabian AA 18" Rock Crash
    Sabian AAX 21" Raw Bell Dry Ride
    MISC
    DW5000 Single Pedal
    Assorted Hardware
    Remo/Aquarian Heads

User Info Menu

oh well. I guess I don't need one of those. If I were a drum shop guy, I'd go for it. I can't see doing all that for the periodical tuning of a 4 piece drum set.

all the best...