Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats the differnce!

drums-rock Guest

Exclamation Whats the differnce!

whats the point in buying another bass drum when you can just buy a good normal price double bass drum pedal?

User Info Menu

With two bass drums you can tune them to two different notes, as opposed to having two beaters playing the same note. More variety of tones from the kit. To me it would seem more trouble than it's worth, unless I was famous and rich enough to have someone else set up and tear down for me.

User Info Menu

2 bass drums rock harder than one..plus if u bought 2 dualist pedals u could have a quadruple pedal effect

User Info Menu

the reason people have to bass drums is to let the drums ressonate and let them breath. when u only have one bass drum and a double pedal u prevent the drum from ressonating scince u keep hitting it in the spot. Its explained here by dave lombardohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KAHF...elated&search=

User Info Menu

Cool What's the difference?

Welcome aboard, drums-rock! Your member name says it all, man!

ellruss' explanation makes the most scientific sense--but even with a single bass and a double pedal wouldn't the beaters hit different sections of the same head? I would agree however that if you're getting the double pedal, you might as well get the second bass drum, too...although I must admit I've never heard double basses tuned to two different notes, especially if they're the same size...

keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

I want a double bass because it would look 500x better than a single one. But if I don't have the money for another bass drum I'll stick with my double pedal.

User Info Menu

I dont like the look off two bass drums. It would be good for the sound.... But compensation for something comes to mind.....

I think i have said before.... The wank factor :P

I can only think of metalica, slipknot and neal pert (I think)

Hm i just dont like them... The second peddle is offset on a double kick drum so you can get two different sounds anyways. Maybe i could invent an offset beater to make it more of a difference.

(Heads into town and patons the idea :>)
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo42w View Post
    I don't like the look off two bass drums.
    How couldn't you? It adds that little extra aggressive look to a kit. You may not want that, but I sure as Hell want people to be afraid of my kit.

User Info Menu

i dont find drum kits scarey any of them in any way. Its kinda like finding the fat guy you teased is actually a champion boxer for his devision....... Like i said i just dont like them. I would rather see more toms and cymbols inplace of it
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

I guess having more toms and cymbals instead of another drumkit would look nice but I guess the idea of enjoying the looks of a double bass drum isn't shared by all drummers.

User Info Menu

A second kick allows for more mounting points too - extends the kit and space you can have - assuming your not using a rack or anything to mount your toms. I have played on a double bass drum setup a couple of times - it is easier to play - eveyrthing is kinda just there, instead of favouring one side like normal.

I think to be honest for the most part though it is asthetics - people think it looks cool. Not everyone of course, but allot of people - what I don't get is when guys have like three or four kick drums - that's just being stupid I reckon. You can't play them all so what's the point?

Although, thinkign about, sometimes, it's so they can play facing different ways because they have different types of drums mounted in different places, but, for example the guy from "Poison" had three kicks and he didn't even seem that great, or to have that much other stuff - that to me is just, to quote Stevo, "wankery"
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

you can still get a nice sound variation from double pedals on the one bass drum by having two different beaters. When I recorded, I used a wood for my left beater and felt on the right beater..this gave a nice variation tone.

I can see what Dave Lombardo is saying about the resonance once you get up to speeds that he plays at but until you play at that speed (if you want to play at that speed), the double pedals are perfect.

Just on Dave, what a character and I love his style of drumming. Some of his videos on youtube totally kick.

User Info Menu

Im gonna make or modify a beater the left one. So it curves to the left more. Being offset differnt on the skin would create a different sound thus you get your sound you achieve by two bass drums :S
    Whats wrong with that instead.

A rack would be cheaper than a another kick. Or simular price. I think racks look cooller coz you get more toms and cymbols onto it :> And there quicker to re set up too :>
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

I agree with Stevo that playing with to bass drums is utter "wankery". It may be better than haveing one bass drum for practice purpouses but other than that there is no point, in my opinion.

User Info Menu

Im glad someone else believes me :> But what i say is true. If you bend or modify your left ... or right beater soit leans. Then by hitting it differently you will get a different tone... Thus no nead for another bass drum.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drums-rock View Post
    whats the point in buying another bass drum when you can just buy a good normal price double bass drum pedal?

Because it takes up more room, you have to spend more money on heads, and oh another pedal.

Double pedal is just to easy, and you can't spend as much lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo42w View Post
    i dont find drum kits scarey any of them in any way. Its kinda like finding the fat guy you teased is actually a champion boxer for his devision....... Like i said i just dont like them. I would rather see more toms and cymbols inplace of it
    LOL I am so with you steveo, drumkit are not scarey and adding another bass drum is not going to make is scary, maybe a little aggressice(on your wallet), when I think of 2 kicks, I think of 80's butt rock

User Info Menu

I don't particularly want to play double bass unless I can get me two bass drums XD
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ethel_The_Frog View Post
    I don't particularly want to play double bass unless I can get me two bass drums XD

Why?

User Info Menu

i grew up playing 2 kicks and now play a dbl pedal. the reasons are that most gigs i do now do not require alot of dbl bass drumming. and it is less to carry now that i'm playing 3 or more times a week. i do still keep up on my dbl kick chops, but if i were to get back into playing heavy music that required it i would definatly go with a two kick setup.
    no matter what you do there will always be an off sound and feel with a dbl pedal. there is only one dead center and that is where the beater should fall. also i don't want to always take my right foot off the pedal when i want to lay the left. but if you dont you lose alot of sound because of the beater on the head.
    so to me for music that requires alot of double bass, then 2 drums sound and feel better than 1.

User Info Menu

2 bass drums will always feel and sound better than 1, that's why you buy two bass drums.

It's not all about wank value, although you have to admit double kick kits look impressive. It's about the feel when you play. If anyone has actually played a double kick kit, you know what I'm talking about. You're much more centered playing two bass drums than if you're playing one, you aren't facing off to the side like you're playing one. You're facing forward, right in the middle, with easy and quick access to all your toms and cymbals.

The second point is the sound, it allows the basses to resonate for longer, causing a better note length and sound. If you watched the video of Dave Lombardo (although, I don't think he covered it in much detail) he explains what happens when the skin is already resonating and you hit it.

And the final point is feel. It's much, much easier to differentiate hits between your bass drums than it is to using a double kick and a single bass drum. This may not seem like a big deal, but its much easier to tell whether you're playing your subdivisions on time and its much easier to tell that you're in the groove.

If you haven't played a double bass kit, you're missing out.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

for serious musicians, double bass kicks are certainly not a "wank", for someone that idolises a drummer as they are growing up and want a kit "just like Dave Lombardo's" is not a wank either. IF someone buys a huge kit with double bass coz they have ego issues, that is a "wank"

Dave and Derek have technical reasons as to why they play double kicks...they certainly dont do it for wank reasons. Besides I dont want to go to a Slayer concert and see a single bass drum

User Info Menu

So the only point we have atm that is valid is about resonant times. I personally couldnt tell the difference.

When they recorded roadrunner united. No one used a double bass, only double bass kick peddle (Ill double check). so playing factor is irrelevant.

So all we have is resonance :S It doesnt seem like a good enough excuse for me.

As for tone. Do what i said. Get an offset mallet and use that. Hitting it differently will cause a different tone.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

3/6 joey played both double kick peddle..... and then double bass over two songs.

And since they were in an ideal situation to use double basses and they didnt? Its questioning the validity of why you would have two.

We know why, but is it actually that practical?

I say no.

That and my legs would cramp if i had them pulld appart to fit two basses a snare and a hi hat between my legs. :P
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pdplayer View Post
    Why?
    Mainly because I like the feel of two individual bass drum pedals in comparison to two pedals that are connected together. My double bass pedal seems to get a lot of recoil or something...
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...