Thread: Pork Pie Snare Tuning? What do you prefer

User Info Menu

Default Pork Pie Snare Tuning? What do you prefer

I bought a new Pork Pie Big Black Brass 6.5 x 14 snare last weekend, and I've read about it having a really versatile tuning range. Has anyone owned this drum, and what is your preferred tuning?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Pork Pie Snare Tuning? What do you prefer

Welcome to drumchat Life! Congrats on picking up the new snare, enjoy it well.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Never owned one, but definitely checked them out....haven't heard anyone complain about it. Congrats on the pickup

User Info Menu

To me you tune it to your liking. Most people tune their Batters/ reso real tight and some batter tight and reso lose. It all depends on you and also in some instances where the snare will buzz if not tuned properly. Experiment I guess is the only advise I can give you. I have three snares and they are all tuned differently depending on the heads and shell. good luck cause that is a fine snare.

User Info Menu

+1^. I have a Pork Pie Squealer, cranked up high, cracks like a whip, but many will adjust to their preferences.
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way." (Buddy Rich)

"How do you keep 90 people together with one stick? I've got two sticks and i can't keep 5 people together." (Ian Paice)

Sean_Chapman Guest

It's been nearly a year and I hope that snare drum is still rocking it for you! That is one of my absolute favorite "Bang for Buck" snares on the market. You can't go wrong and it fits in nearly every genera of music out there today.

That head has such a versatile tuning range that there is no 'best' way to tune it. However, I find for most applications a single ply coated head on top, hazy snare side bottom, and a Puresound Super30 works absolutely stellar. The 30 strand offers a bit more texture from the snare for sensitive players, and a bigger dynamic range for those looking for that.

Batter side: I've always had an affinity for high tuned snares. Cracks/snaps/defined individual hit projection. But this head can be loose and fat, medium and muffled (wallet sounds great!), or high and punchy.

Resonant side: I took a tip from Todd Suchermann's Methods and Mechanics DVD that said " Don't be afraid to really tighten up the bottom head of your snare ". That being the case I always tune the bottom up as tight as I can without creating overtone-city. Too much body and sustain is just as bad as no body or sustain.

My Trick: This goes with every snare I've ever tuned. Upon completion of my fine tuning phase I will turn on the snares and lightly tap my index and middle fingers rapidly in the center of the head. If the snares respond a little, then that is where I'm going to leave their tension. If they don't respond due to being choked then I loosen them until I hear them responding. The same goes for if they are TOO loose. I tighten them up until I get the level of response that I deem necessary for the specific music I am playing - or the specific snare I am using.

I hope this helps!