Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Headphones for Drummers ?

User Info Menu

Default Headphones for Drummers ?

In addition to my stick control drills on the pad and the movement-practice on the kit, I love to play with music and learn certain songs I like............since I'm currently playing an acoustic kit, I'm looking for some great headphones for this purpose.

My 20-year old Sony headphones are distorting at the required high volumes.........I also have a cheap pair of JVC phones that are adequate but I want to upgrade.

While shopping on the web, I even found a pair from Vic Firth called "drummer headphones".............don't know if these are any good or not.

For those players here that love to utilize headphones and play along with recorded music, what do you recommend for the best headphones for this purpose ?

Thanks in advance for your great advice.

Advertisement

Headphones for Drummers
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Default Re: Headphones for Drummers ?

Bose Quiet Comfort 15 headphones are the absolute bomb! They aren't cheap, but as far as noise cancelling, brilliance of sound and comfort, these things totally rock! You will hear things in the music that you never heard before. Price? About $300.
    PDP MX Series Drums, Zildjian A Custom cymbals, Tama Simon Phillips Gladiator Signature snare, Roc-N-Soc throne.

User Info Menu

I use the Vic Firths and they have worked fine for the last four years.....unfortunately, my 5 year old got a hold of them and was spinning them around by the cord. They still work, but now have a "short" that happens every once in awhile......think I'm gonna get another pair

User Info Menu

I highly recommend the Bose Triports. I've used the noise cancelling QCs, and don't like the way my kit sounds through them. I use the Triports plus earplugs and it works great - good volume/no distortion, great sound quality, and it doesn't kill my hearing. Plus my drums get nice and fat sounding!

Just look for any sealed over the ear kind. Those Vic Firths would do well- my son uses their kidphones when he plays his little mini kit and they protect your hearing well. I'd imagine the ones with speakers in them would do just as well.

User Info Menu

I'm using the Roland RH-200. I compared them to a bunch of others, some much more expensive...and they were hard to beat at around $140.
    DW Performance Series
    Peavey Radial Pro RBS-1
    Roland TDW-20

Gibraltar rack system
    Sabian AA/AAX/HHX/Vault
    Tama pedals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Digital View Post
    I'm using the Roland RH-200. I compared them to a bunch of others, some much more expensive...and they were hard to beat at around $140.
    Thanks Digital :

Found 'em on the web for $129 & free shipping.
    Bass response is good ?
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I use the vic firth stereo isolation headphones and love them. I use them with acoustics as my hearing protection and to play along, I use them at my instructors, I use them with my electric plugged through the mixing board so everything comes in on the same channel. probably the best $50 Ive spent on drumming equipment.
    We Have nothing to fear but Reefs and Pirates

I tried taking life seriously, didn't much like it so now what I take seriously is living

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Toad View Post
    I use the vic firth stereo isolation headphones and love them. I use them with acoustics as my hearing protection and to play along, I use them at my instructors, I use them with my electric plugged through the mixing board so everything comes in on the same channel. probably the best $50 Ive spent on drumming equipment.
    Agree....Flee-bay has them listed alot for under 40 used...great headphones for the price

User Info Menu

AKG M70/K44 for lower budgets, or if you're loaded you can step it up to a K240-271 series. Comfortable, blocks out harsh noise, and sounds pretty good! The vic firth's are good when you need to block out noise to protect your hearing, but you can't always hear everything that's going on quite as well - and that becomes a problem in some situations. Ideally you want a good balance of things.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I've been using the Sony Studio Monitor MDR-V6 headphones for years. They sound great and you can get them for $50.00 to $75.00 depending on where you shop.

User Info Menu

also keep in mind headphones get misused. no matter how hard you try something will happen to them so keeping in the $50 ish range makes it not hurt too much when the dog runs off with them .. or the 6 year old makes a new submarine at bath time.
    We Have nothing to fear but Reefs and Pirates

I tried taking life seriously, didn't much like it so now what I take seriously is living

User Info Menu

Sennheiser 280Pro headphones here. The cups rotate so the unit is collapsible and lay flat. All of the components come apart and are fully replaceable. The sound is very clear and accurate. They are up to 32db of ambient noise attenuation. They are very comfortable which allows me to wear them for a very long time with no discomfort. I like the way they make my kit sound while wearing them as well. Nice long cord. German manufacturing is always top notch AFAIC. Can't beat them for $100.00.

Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

I have both types that Vic Firth offers, the ones that are simply for hearing protection and the wired ones to listen to music with as well.

I got a few years out of the wired ones, but something went wrong with the wiring. I have an inexpesive pair of earbuds that hook behind the ears that I use when out riding my bike, so I put these on and then the unwired protective ones over. It works for me.
    A simple, elegant design is good engineering.

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian

User Info Menu

Logitech Ultimate Ears 400's here. Cost me $45 NZD ($37 USD apparently).

Earphone Type: In-ear
    Driver type: Diaphragm
    Frequency response: 20 Hz – 20 kHz
    Impedance: 16 ohms, 1 kHz
    Sensitivity: 105 dB SPL/mW, 1 kHz
    Noise isolation: -26 dB
    Warranty: 2 years
    - Zack

User Info Menu

isolation/noise cancelling headphones is a bit of a fail you won't hear what your playing and it make you play louder

..open ear or iem is the go

User Info Menu

i have used the vic firths for about 3 yrs now with no problems, however itchie makes a good point while wearing i've had to be mindful of my volume. i think they are a good investment.

Headphones for Drummers

User Info Menu

Welcome to the forums ilove2drum!
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

thanks for the welcome

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    isolation/noise cancelling headphones is a bit of a fail you won't hear what your playing and it make you play louder

..open ear or iem is the go
    I respectfully disagree with the first part of your post. Unless they completely cancel out all ambient noise (which is nearly impossible) you can still hear.

I do agree with the use of iem's. I use Shure se425 and love them. But guess what? They cancel up to 37db's.

If you can feel how you're playing you can still achieve plenty of dynamics and play at low volumes. Just turn down the music or other instruments going through the monitors/phones. Has worked well for me for years.

To the original poster, first determine what your budget is. Next decide if you want in-ear or over they ear. Then based on the responses you are getting, check into all the different types and look at the specs; things like frequency response (range), noise attenuation, impedance, number of drivers, sensitivity, power input...
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

I prefer earbuds, but it's difficult to find earbuds that fit right until you go out and get buds that are custom fit.

I got a pair of Shure SE425s before Summer last year, and they're one of my smartest purchases to date, IMO. Right now, the cable is being replaced because there's a short or something, and if Shure's customer support wasn't so great I wouldn't be happy about that. But I have used these headphones a ton, so I expected something wrong to happen eventually. The wires are detachable from the headphone itself so they can be stored properly and replaced easily. The sound quality is amazing. I don't want to know how loud they are capable of going, but one thing is for sure. It's loud enough. The mix seems a lot more balanced than other headphones because they're designed for live mixes. At the same time, when I play music through them the quality is untouchable. I've replaced the buds on mine with some that fit my ears better.

At home and for general use, I use these so I don't look like a freak with the Shures. I also don't want to bring $300 headphones to my school. These also work great. If they didn't break frequently, I'd feel more comfortable using them live.

I have a couple pairs because you can find them for like ten bucks at Marshals, but Skull Candy also replaces them for free. So I have now had five pairs when I've only bought two.

By the way, nice choice drumsetsnide! Haha.
    Last edited by IAmNotATable; 03-11-2012 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Oh, what a coincidence.
    C&C ll Rogers ll Ludwig ll Slingerland

Istanbul Agop 16" Signature Hats ll 15" 30th Anniversary Hats
    Istanbul Agop 22" Special Edition Jazz Ride ll 22" Trash Hit
    Istanbul Agop 24" Turk Jazz Ride

DW 6000/9000 Hardware ll Aquarian Drumheads ll Roland SPD-SX ll Ableton Live 9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotATable View Post
    I prefer earbuds...
    I got a pair of Shure SE425s... and they're one of my smartest purchases to date, IMO...The sound quality is amazing.
    By the way, nice choice drumsetsnide! Haha.
    Haha..was just going to compliment you on your choice and say...

+1
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

I say you should go with the Vic Firth. They block out the noise, but not too much to where you can't hear what you're playing. They are comfy and cheap compared to those amazing BEATS by Dr. Dre.
    I have an insane admiration and respect for the craft that is drumming and I have a never-ending desire to be the best i can possibly be. I dont play drums or practice because I have to, I play because I can't help it. ~ Cobus Potgieter ~

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drumsetsnide View Post
    Haha..was just going to compliment you on your choice and say...

+1
    Great minds think alike!

As for the Vic Firths, I have a pair and from what I remember they were pretty good. Definitely the best you can do for over-ear, IMO. Mine broke, and I didn't even use them for gigging. But I suppose it could have been a fluke. Vic Firth didn't think so, so they didn't replace them for me. Now I use them as general isolation headphones for my band when we practice if I'm too lazy to set up monitors. I think it's all personal preference. For me, my ears start to hurt or get sweaty with over-ears. You can definitely hear your drums with the over-ears, but then again you can with earbuds too. Just gotta turn those suckers down!
    Last edited by IAmNotATable; 03-11-2012 at 06:58 PM. Reason: GRAMMER = VARY BAD
    C&C ll Rogers ll Ludwig ll Slingerland

Istanbul Agop 16" Signature Hats ll 15" 30th Anniversary Hats
    Istanbul Agop 22" Special Edition Jazz Ride ll 22" Trash Hit
    Istanbul Agop 24" Turk Jazz Ride

DW 6000/9000 Hardware ll Aquarian Drumheads ll Roland SPD-SX ll Ableton Live 9

User Info Menu

i would like to contribute my 2 cents to the headphones vs. in ear view if you guys don't mind. pls understand i am not trying to staart a debate but just giving my opinion based on my experience. to the original poster i usually stick with head phones because they usually have a better bass response than in ears or earbuds. it all depends on what your situation and venue calls for. for example the church i play at and in many medium to large venues i like to stick to a pair of headphones because they help me hear the bass guitar an my kick drum better. to me personally that is one of my things where ever i go i always like to hear an feel my kick and the bass guitar then i build the rest of the band in my mix from there. no in situations where i have no choice but to go with in ears. i have played with all type of in ears and buds but i must say i haven't come across to many where i can get a clear concise bass response out of. there is also a third type of situation which i know doesn't pertain to your question, but at some venues they also give you a speaker for a monitor. if it is not a full range speaker then i try and find a small sub to stick under it to fill out the low end. back on topic i know many friends that use in ears that use them in conjunction with a butt kicker. i filled in for a friend where this was the case and i liked the setup between the in ears and the butt kicker but i know not everyone has the time or energy to lug around a buttkicker and it's accesories. anyways i realize that you want to use these for practice for now but i think a set of headphones even if they are isolation should do fine. i use my vic firths both live and when i practice at home to recorded music. at home i play both an acoustic, rare cause i keep my neighbors in mind, and an electric. if you are practiceing with an acoustic and iso headphone combo and worried about noise don't worry. it was a good excercise for me in my early days in volume control. i will admit though with iso headphones i feel like i lose out on hearing a lot of character out of my drums but that's ok because i make sure they are in tune first. lol. anyways that's my 2 cents sorry for taking up ya'lls time.

User Info Menu

I use and recommend the Sony MDR7506 Professional Large Diaphragm Headphone. They're around $150. I practice with these headphones and play along to tunes on the ipod, cds, or instructional cds and they've always worked great. I've also used them in the studio and liked them alot. If they can't handle the volumes you're dishing out, then I'd guess you're cranking them up too loud.
    DRM>