Thread: Bad gig.

User Info Menu

Default Bad gig.

Oh man, was this fun.

A few weeks ago, we were asked if we wanted to play this party/concert with a couple of other bands, with us being the opener. It was a free gig, just basically coming out to have a fun time. We agreed, and have been preparing for our first live show.

So, March 17th arrives..and if anyone know's Missouri weather, you cannot predict it. There was a chance for rain, about 50%, so they decided to have the party anyway. I failed to mention that this was all outside and uncovered.

We wound up not being the opener, instead going on second, which worked for us.

The time comes to bring our gear up on stage, and right as we get all set up and start doing a sound check, it starts to rain ever so slightly. We decided to put tarps over everything and wait to see what was going to happen. The wind picked up, it started pouring and hailing, and there was lightning all around.

It was a mad dash to get everything put up. Everyone was helping everyone. The amps are soaked. My drum cases are soaked. My drums were dripping wet. We had all of our stuff loaded in about 20 minutes. All the drums in bags, the amps in the truck and covered with a tarp. It was insanity.

It really sucked not being able to play, and the show really should have been called off because of the chance of rain that we had. It may have been alright if the wind wouldn't have changed directions, but who knows. I just hated seeing all that gear getting wet. That and our guitar player in the fray has lost one of his effects pedals. I think I have learned the hard way..no out door gigs with a decent chance for rain!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Bad gig.

I hate when that happens...The wrath of Mother Nature...lol...good thing you had everyone's help though.

User Info Menu

That's terrible, makes me cringe just thinking about good gear getting soaked to death like that. Fortunately you made it out of there with minimal equipment failure, it sounds like. That much you can be grateful for, even if things went south. A tarp might come in handy for next time eh?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    I hate when that happens...The wrath of Mother Nature...lol...good thing you had everyone's help though.
    Yeah, it was nice to have the help of most of the people there.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    That's terrible, makes me cringe just thinking about good gear getting soaked to death like that. Fortunately you made it out of there with minimal equipment failure, it sounds like. That much you can be grateful for, even if things went south. A tarp might come in handy for next time eh?
    It seems like all of the gear survived, but we still have not plugged in the amps. They should be dry by now, but we want to be 110% sure so nothing blows up.

User Info Menu

Ouch man, that sucks. I hope those amps still work for you guys, and I hope those drums don't warp either!
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrumRookie View Post
    Ouch man, that sucks. I hope those amps still work for you guys, and I hope those drums don't warp either!
    As soon as we got our gear inside, I immediately unpacked my drums and towel dried everything. Hardware and drums. I am hoping nothing warps or corrodes.

User Info Menu

Ah that sucks. If there was a chance of rain you'd think those organising it would have sorted out some cover. Good to hear the damage wasn't too bad at least.

User Info Menu

Man, that's a tough one. Hope all the gear turns out ok.

User Info Menu

Wonder how much a canopy would cost. Or maybe rent for the next time.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Do you have a warranty for any of your gear? You might be able to just straight out replace it if it's no good. Possibly in time for your next practice or show if you act on it soon.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Do you have a warranty for any of your gear? You might be able to just straight out replace it if it's no good. Possibly in time for your next practice or show if you act on it soon.
    Nah, no warranties. I bought all of my gear used, so my warranty is my wallet.

User Info Menu

Drums are OK. They can take "some" rain. Easily dried off, but the real bad news is electrical gear. It only takes a single rain drop on a circuit board or a transistor and an amp is fried!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Drums are OK. They can take "some" rain. Easily dried off, but the real bad news is electrical gear. It only takes a single rain drop on a circuit board or a transistor and an amp is fried!

all the best...
    Yup, and speaker cones...

Had an experience somewhat like that, but we were under a tent, and it was just getting things from tent to the trucks. Each time, "no, not doing that again", but then, sometimes it is just hard to predict when you do outdoor gig, and when those gigs do work weather-wise, they are great.
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way." (Buddy Rich)

"How do you keep 90 people together with one stick? I've got two sticks and i can't keep 5 people together." (Ian Paice)