Thread: Weight workout?

User Info Menu

Default Weight workout?

Yeah, it's been awhile since I posted here..

Anyway, I'm curious as to if anyone here knows any good workout exercises that would help build up strength for better drumming (ones that are not listed below). I know practice helps, but this is kind of an experiment to see if the building-up process can be accelerated with weights.

These are the exercises I have so far, and what their purpose is:

Wrist curls- Well, if there's anything that we use the most, it's our wrists. We're known for it.

Pinch Plate- This exercise helps with keeping grasp on the sticks (I have noticed a great change in this)

Med ball twist- This part helps with moving around the drums, especially since I now have a 2nd floor tom

Jump Rope- My weights teacher told me this could help with Double Bass

Back extension- I think I put this here to help with posture

Dumbell squats- Another Double Bass exercise.. or something that I hope would help it

Agan, if anyone knows of other exercises, it'd be greatly appreciated
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

Default Re: Weight workout?

Cycling
    Speedbag
    Squeeze ball
    Im not sure of the name but its a stick with a string and a weight. You hold it in both hands at arms length and roll the string up.
    Yoga

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by concrete Building View Post
    Yeah, it's been awhile since I posted here..

Anyway, I'm curious as to if anyone here knows any good workout exercises that would help build up strength for better drumming (ones that are not listed below). I know practice helps, but this is kind of an experiment to see if the building-up process can be accelerated with weights.

These are the exercises I have so far, and what their purpose is:

Wrist curls- Well, if there's anything that we use the most, it's our wrists. We're known for it.

Pinch Plate- This exercise helps with keeping grasp on the sticks (I have noticed a great change in this)

Med ball twist- This part helps with moving around the drums, especially since I now have a 2nd floor tom

Jump Rope- My weights teacher told me this could help with Double Bass

Back extension- I think I put this here to help with posture

Dumbell squats- Another Double Bass exercise.. or something that I hope would help it

Agan, if anyone knows of other exercises, it'd be greatly appreciated

I have both exercised and not exercised. I stopped when I developed a minor heart problem, and went back when the doc's said it was OK.

What I found is that my speed neither increased nor decreased whether I exercised or not. Strength is not a prerequisite for being a good drummer.

Doing things that will keep you loose and limber are probably better in the long run.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    What I found is that my speed neither increased nor decreased whether I exercised or not. Strength is not a prerequisite for being a good drummer.

Doing things that will keep you loose and limber are probably better in the long run.
    I think that staying fit is better than not staying fit, but I kinda see things like Rick - I go through periods where I work out a lot (when I have more time) but I have never noticed that any of it speeds me up as a drummer - I have better mental and physical stamina, but that's not really a strength thing.

I dunno - I'm working on age 42, so I'm not "old," but the older I get the more I notice that it takes more effort to stay loose and limber.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

As I get older, I have found the the most important thing for me to do before doing just about anything physical is an organized stretching routine. We started doing this at work a couple of years ago, I just carried it over into my golf game, drumming, ect. Only takes about 5-7 minutes, but really is effective. Neck,shoulders,torso then legs. I know this isn't a strength workout, but it sure has helped me retain my flexibility,which, I feel, in the long run, helps improves my performance.

As far as weight workouts? It sure wouldn't hurt. I know my weight limits, which is about 12 oz's at a time. Anything above that, I'm afraid I could really get hurt!
    "You can never legislate stupidity, because there is no power in this world that can prevent it."-My Dad after watching his golf partner trying to hit a ball through a grove of trees.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trickg View Post
    I think that staying fit is better than not staying fit, but I kinda see things like Rick - I go through periods where I work out a lot (when I have more time) but I have never noticed that any of it speeds me up as a drummer - I have better mental and physical stamina, but that's not really a strength thing.

I dunno - I'm working on age 42, so I'm not "old," but the older I get the more I notice that it takes more effort to stay loose and limber.

42! Mere child. If it takes you more effort to stay loose and limber, how do you think I feel?

User Info Menu

Yoga, Stretching. I would tend towards any lifting to be more oriented towards stamina, low weight high reps. better all around living, park at the far end of the parking lot etc. oh yah .. and more yoga and stretching.
    We Have nothing to fear but Reefs and Pirates

I tried taking life seriously, didn't much like it so now what I take seriously is living

User Info Menu

P90x

User Info Menu

Anything aerobic/cardio is a good idea. Jogging, stretches, jumprope, etc - all will point you in the right direction for drumming fitness.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Thanks for the input, guys. I'll definitely mention flexibility to my weights teacher (How he'll respond, I have no idea). I'll also keep that in mind further along the road of life.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by concrete Building View Post
    Thanks for the input, guys. I'll definitely mention flexibility to my weights teacher (How he'll respond, I have no idea). I'll also keep that in mind further along the road of life.
    Something to toss into the discussion, Buddy Rich was insanely fast but I don't think he was particularly strong, although if I'm not mistaken, he was a practitioner of martial arts as well. To add to that, Bruce Lee was super fast, and although he was into lifting weights and working out, I think that flexibility was part of why he was so fast too.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Bobby Rock lol, anyway endurance is what I work for. Nothing sucks more than not feeling good about your playing because of an endurance issue.

not saying you don't feel good about your playing. It has happened to me.

still got a Vinnie Vincent cassette tape somewhere
    Last edited by slinky; 04-02-2012 at 07:59 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

doctor dirt Guest

So the daily 5th of V.O. and half a case of beer wasn't part of the drummers workout???? Damn it!! Doc.

User Info Menu

Read the stuff Bobby Rock has on fitness and eating right. Plus if you can play The Octopus then you can laugh.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by doctor dirt View Post
    So the daily 5th of V.O. and half a case of beer wasn't part of the drummers workout???? Damn it!! Doc.
    Sure it is buddy, works for me!!!

Just make sure your posture is good, as poor posture leads to many many issues..
    Exercising your REAR delts is a good way to help with posture....pulls your shoulders back, keeps back straight.........
    I'm sure everyone knows better than me though, especially Bobby Rocks's octopus!
    Last edited by funkyruss; 04-03-2012 at 08:17 AM.

User Info Menu

Weight's are something I don't feel really helps your drumming. It tightens up your muscles. You need to stay loose and limber. although I would work out with light weights some. I did not do it to get larger muscles. I think the best overall workouts would be to join a local Martial Art's program and work out at least 3 times a week. The stretching you do in warm up's will help you immensely. Also your stamina and overall heath will improve. and yes, "Buddy Rich" practiced Martial Art's for years. I was watching him before a concert once, throwing side kicks at his tour Mgr and pulling them within a inch of this guys face. They guy was going, "Take it easy Buddy". I also studied "Tang So Do" for over 10 years with Grand Master Yung Ju Lee and it was the best thing as far as staying in shape I have ever done. Plus you learn self defense. I have never had to use it in all my years in clubs or life. It will teach you how to carry yourself and know how to avoid confrontation.
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1980 Silver Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1960 Gold Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1968 Champagne Sparkle
    Premier Resonators vintage 70's Polychromatic Red
    Slingerland 60's Vintage. Vintage Sky Blue Pearl
    Slingerland 1972 "Avante" Red
    Camco Chanute vintage. 1973 Silver Sparkle
    Gretsch Catalina Jazz. Blue Pearl
    Sonor Safari. Black Galaxy
    Rogers Londoner V vintage. 1977 Silver Mist
    Rogers Script Badge 9/72 1972 Black Nitro
    Beverley of England 4 piece vintage. Red
    Stewart 1966 Black Diamond Pearl MIJ
    Vintage Paiste 2002
    Vintage Avedis Zildjian

User Info Menu

Like everything, it is all about balance (strength training can be useful to tone muscle, and strength training does not only come from lifting weights, but such training alone is not ideal). I use strength, aerobic, and also other endurance training efforts.

If you cannot get through something like Rock and Roll (Zep) without feeling wiped out, you can still be a drummer, but if your playing demands that level of effort or perhaps much more--you need to figure out how to improve your drumming health.

This includes all the things mentioned above--posture, endurance training, strength, balance, limb independence reinforcement; as other DCrs have found, finding a discipline such as martial arts to bring it all together is another possibility.
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way." (Buddy Rich)

"How do you keep 90 people together with one stick? I've got two sticks and i can't keep 5 people together." (Ian Paice)

User Info Menu

isnt drumming a decent work out for drumming? :P

User Info Menu

Drumming is a cardiovascular exercise so bulking up isn't going to do much one way or the other, and drumsticks just aren't that heavy to be honest. Your routine should include cardiovascular endurance exercises such as jogging, biking, jumping rope, etc. Endurance allows you to play your best (whatever that may be) for longer periods of time without the interference of fatigue.

Some good upper body exercises include plain old pushups and pull ups; boring, but helpful. You can also get a pair of 10lbs handbells and do curls (palm up, AND palm down).

User Info Menu

after i jumped back into my weight training i actually noticed a difference in my drumming. Mainly in my accuracy. It's not that i'm able to really do anything BETTER than I could before, it just takes less effort. Posture and endurance both improved. It's awesome to get to the end of a 4 hr gig and not feel wiped out. So I wouldn't really say skip the weight routine, just don't do it to add mass. And yes, do it in addition to a cardio workout.