Thread: Rudiments

User Info Menu

Default Rudiments

Which Rudiments should I practice. Sure I could learn them all, but which are some solid ones to focus on.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Rudiments

There are millions.

A good place to start is get yourself a decent snare technique book or two. I use a book called Master Studies by Joe Morello. Some really good stuff in there. Anything by Charlie Wilcoxen is good as well.

As for just rudiments, you can do double strokes, paradiddles, rolls, do stuff with dynamics, tempo, time signatures... the list is endless.

Others use other books/random rudiments, hopefully someone else will chime in with suggestions. Also google 'drum rudiments' or 'drum rudiment ebook' or something. Something will definitely come up.
    Pdp LXE | Pearl ELX Export

'Give me your fingernails, oh look, the moon' - Todd Sucherman.

User Info Menu

I go with random.. I use the vic firth website and try to practice my 'level' of rudiment for 5-8 different rudiments. daily. I dont do it often but sometimes I do. usualy try and get one roll one diddle and one flam .. or two of each or whatever.
    We Have nothing to fear but Reefs and Pirates

I tried taking life seriously, didn't much like it so now what I take seriously is living

User Info Menu

I'm partial to paradiddles and ratamacues, and I think it's because I tend use variations of them in my fills and such. It may be beneficial to go through a bunch and see which ones stick out. Pick 2-3 you love and are fun to play, and 2-3 that bore you and practice BOTH.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drumstix View Post
    There are millions.
    Maybe not millions, but certainly a lot of combinations that one can come up with from the 26 standard rudiments and the handful of Swiss and Scottish rudiments.

I used to play Ancient style (Fife and Drum) rudimental snare, so I know (knew? It's been a while) the standard rudiments, but I don't really use much of that in my kit playing. The one's that I do use:

Roll figures - 5 stroke, 7 stroke, 9 stroke - mainly the 5 stroke
    Ruffs - some people like to call them "drags" but essentially it's light 2 stroke grace notes prior to a hit with the opposite hand.
    Flams - you are probably already doing those
    Paradiddle -RLRRLRLLRLRRLRLLRLRRLRLLR etc. I used diddle figures to change my sticking to change my lead hand on occasion, depending on the fill

That's most of what I use in my kit drumming although on occasion I throw in other things too - flam Swiss tripplets, flam paraddidles, flamacues, flam-accents - usually only on the snare.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.