Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 57

Thread: Ludwig Keystone Series - Drum Reviews

  1. #26

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Ludwig Keystone Series - Drum Reviews

    Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    Is weight the biggest issue with the Saturns?
    Although the Saturns are a heck of a lot heavier, that's not why I've been gigging more with the Luddy's.

    I like the 1 up 2 down set up with the Keystones and the sound I get from the sizes 13, 16, 18 & 24.

    I like the Saturns more for recording.

  2. #27

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Ludwig Keystone Series - Drum Reviews

    Played in a two band show over the weekend. Our band provided the back line since we were the last band to play so I got to listen to the Keystones from a listener's perspective. They sounded great! Full, deep, loud. They're inching up towards the top on best kits I ever owned list.

  3. #28

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Ludwig Keystone Series - Drum Reviews

    Very nice. I've always liked the looks of oyster/agate/strata pearls over the diamond pearls. That's just my two cents worth though.
    Mmm... Saturns.

  4. #29

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Ludwig Keystone Series - Drum Reviews

    I am considering some of the Keystones. I wanted some Legacy's, Virgin 14"x20" with curved spurs, Virgin 8"x12" and 14"x14" all with classic lugs, mounts, and Keystone Badge. But they would not wrap them with the Apple Glass Glitter for me in the Legacy..... ? So I am on hold now. They don't make the 14"x20" kick in the Keystone.
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1980 Silver Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1960 Gold Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1968 Champagne Sparkle
    Premier Resonators vintage 70's Polychromatic Red
    Slingerland 60's Vintage. Vintage Sky Blue Pearl
    Slingerland 1972 "Avante" Red
    Camco Chanute vintage. 1973 Silver Sparkle
    Gretsch Catalina Jazz. Blue Pearl
    Sonor Safari. Black Galaxy
    Rogers Londoner V vintage. 1977 Silver Mist
    Rogers Script Badge 9/72 1972 Black Nitro
    Beverley of England 4 piece vintage. Red

    Vintage Paiste 2002
    Vintage Avedis Zildjian

  5. #30

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Ludwig Keystone Series - Drum Reviews

    Quote Originally Posted by VIbes View Post
    I am considering some of the Keystones. I wanted some Legacy's, Virgin 14"x20" with curved spurs, Virgin 8"x12" and 14"x14" all with classic lugs, mounts, and Keystone Badge. But they would not wrap them with the Apple Glass Glitter for me in the Legacy..... ? So I am on hold now. They don't make the 14"x20" kick in the Keystone.
    Go big. I'm really happy with my 24x14 kick. Sounds great and I really don't notice the size when carting it around for gigs.

  6. #31

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Ludwig Keystone Series - Drum Reviews

    I already have four 14"x24" kick sets. A Rogers, Ludwig, Premier, and Beverley. I really like the 24" bass drums. I have one Ludwig 14"x20" Club Date bass drum and really like it, so was thinking of the sizes, and wrap I wanted in a smaller kit. More like my Gretsch Jazz Catalina kit except with a 20" bass drum.
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1980 Silver Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1960 Gold Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1968 Champagne Sparkle
    Premier Resonators vintage 70's Polychromatic Red
    Slingerland 60's Vintage. Vintage Sky Blue Pearl
    Slingerland 1972 "Avante" Red
    Camco Chanute vintage. 1973 Silver Sparkle
    Gretsch Catalina Jazz. Blue Pearl
    Sonor Safari. Black Galaxy
    Rogers Londoner V vintage. 1977 Silver Mist
    Rogers Script Badge 9/72 1972 Black Nitro
    Beverley of England 4 piece vintage. Red

    Vintage Paiste 2002
    Vintage Avedis Zildjian

  7. #32

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Ludwig Keystone Series - Drum Reviews

    I just traded this week and received a set of 22/12/16 in TURQUOYSTER finish. This kit is nothing short of amazing! I have been playing over 22 years, and I have finally found the sound I have been looking for. Hats off to Ludwig!
    Drumming isn't a job, it's a way of life...

    1.)Yamaha Power V Custom 12,13,18,24
    2.)Custom built with Camco 20" bass and 12 and 14 toms -Keller shells
    3.) Ludwig Keystone in Turquoyster 22/12/16
    *1971 Ludwig Supraphonic Snare 5x14
    Cymbals:
    14" A New Beat hats
    16" Masterwork reso. crash
    18" A. thin crash,
    20' A Custom Medium ride, 2
    2" A Swish Knocker
    Pearl Eliminator double pedal, Pearl and DW hardware.

  8. #33

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Ludwig Keystone Series - Drum Reviews

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony96 View Post
    I just traded this week and received a set of 22/12/16 in TURQUOYSTER finish. This kit is nothing short of amazing! I have been playing over 22 years, and I have finally found the sound I have been looking for. Hats off to Ludwig!
    Great drums aren't they?

  9. #34

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Ludwig Keystone Series - Drum Reviews

    They do sound much better out front than they do behind the throne, atleast the few I have played on seemed that way. They are truly gorgeous kits and I would love to own one someday. Check out this video, also check out how far the BD moves from the :20 point to the 2:50 point.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxp0KpR-ph4
    http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

    DW Collectors

    Premier Elite Black Sparkle

    Zildjian K Cymbals

    Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing.

    MOST ORCHESTRA'S ARE JUST 1800'S COVER BANDS!

  10. #35

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Ludwig Keystone Series

    Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    I kinda' like 'em:







    SWEET SWEET I think that has to be the nicest Keystone set I have seen. Gotta love Ludwig
    So whats so wrong with laughing. Some need to learn to laugh

  11. #36

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Ludwig Keystone Series - Drum Reviews

    Does anyone know if the Ludwig Keystone kit can support a kick mounted tom holder?

  12. #37

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Ludwig Keystone Series - Drum Reviews

    I see no reason it couldn't. They always did before the trend towards "virgin" kicks.

    all the best...

  13. #38

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Ludwig Keystone Series

    Quote Originally Posted by yngvar13 View Post
    I am totally thinking about up grading to these...at some point. Not a big fan of wraps myself, however I kinda like the new apple glass finish.

    Does anyone here have any of the new Ludwig Atlas hardware? And if so how is it? From what I've seen it looks pretty solid' but I have yet to get my hands on any.
    yngvar13, I've got the Atlas stuff on my Classic Maple kit. I have not gigged extensively with the Arch, but have with the cymbal arms and lug. Also, on my Classic Maple, the tom is mounted with an Atlas mount.

    I put a mount on the kick on my acoustic-electric, Sonar Safari, kit a while back. This kit gets gigged a lot, plus I take some or all of it to rehearsals. From the one Atlas lug mount on the kick, I added a telescoping arm, and also a short scissor arm. Mounted the ride with the scissor, and a crash over the mounted tom with the long telescoping arm. Amazing range of motion from the scissor arms, and so far, no hiccups at all. Move the whole kit around, cymbals and all, no problems yet.

    The Classic Maple will get its gig-cherry popped tonight. It has the Atlas Arch tom holder, with one Atlas mounted 12" tom on it, and a short scissor cymbal arm mounted atop the L-arm. Currently, I have a short, straight arm coming from one of the Arch posts, holding my 20" ride. Both kits have 14" floor toms and each has a long scissor arm mounted to a leg.

    The only observation I have so far is that the Arch has to be clamped SUPER hard in order to not creep over. I have asked the local shop to ask their rep if there is any kind of lock for it. Would help. The cymbal arms and lugs are all great, albeit heavy. I have been trying to get a really low setup, that also permits easy transport and quick setup. With a 10" Tama share on my HH stand, there are NO other stands for a 4 piece kit with a ride, HH, and two crashes.

    I'm new here, so have not figured out how to get pictures up. Don't have any hosting service as of yet.

    I really like some of the Ludwig finishes. Customer service has been great too.

  14. #39

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Ludwig Keystone Series - Drum Reviews

    Quote Originally Posted by bluesman54 View Post
    Does anyone know if the Ludwig Keystone kit can support a kick mounted tom holder?
    I'm sure the Atlas Arch will work on it. I have that on a Classic Maple 18" kick, holding one 12" tom. Am strongly entertaining adding one to my other kits.

  15. #40

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Ludwig Keystone Series - Drum Reviews

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony96 View Post
    I just traded this week and received a set of 22/12/16 in TURQUOYSTER finish. This kit is nothing short of amazing! I have been playing over 22 years, and I have finally found the sound I have been looking for. Hats off to Ludwig!
    There's a set of Turquoyster finished drums at a store in Savannah. That finish is quite spectacular in person.

  16. #41

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Ludwig Keystone Series

    Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    I kinda' like 'em:







    I don't know how I missed this thread, but MY GOSH I love that Ludwig set! That's simply beautiful. I'm a big fan of wrap finishes and that color and that pattern is gorgeous.

    I went to the Ludwig site again and paid more attention to the Keystone series than on my last visit. The lug pattern is very attractive and the choice of finishes very attractive.

    Ludwig made a good series with the Keystone.

    GeeDeeEmm

  17. #42

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Ludwig Keystone Series - Drum Reviews

    I have an older Classic Birch kit and a new Keystone kit. I use the Atlas scissor arms with both and love them. I'm lazy and don't want to carry stands so these work perfectly. I would like to put a tom holder on the virgin Keystone kick but am concerned as to whether the shell is thick and strong enough for it. Right now I use the Atlas arch but am not crazy about it.
    Last edited by bluesman54; 02-26-2015 at 03:40 PM. Reason: grammer

  18. #43

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Ludwig Keystone Series - Drum Reviews

    Yeah, this Keystone kit has quickly become one of the favorites in my stable and pretty much my go to gigging kit.

  19. #44

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Ludwig Keystone Series - Drum Reviews

    Hey Inthpkt, is that the BD hoop that came with your kit? Does not look like mine which is completely wrapped and ridiculously thick and I suspect out of round. What would cause this? I tried rotating it, changed lugs out but still I cannot get 2 of the lugs to seat completely on the hoop?? Very frustrating. The drum itself feel great and the head fits on easy and spins without any hangups. Guess I need to start pricing new 24" hoops? I just traded for it and am really starting to like the kit otherwise.

    Also Do you mind if I post my own review of mine in this thread in a few days?

    [IMG][/IMG]

    [IMG][/IMG]
    http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

    DW Collectors

    Premier Elite Black Sparkle

    Zildjian K Cymbals

    Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing.

    MOST ORCHESTRA'S ARE JUST 1800'S COVER BANDS!

  20. #45

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Ludwig Keystone Series - Drum Reviews

    Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Hey Inthpkt, is that the BD hoop that came with your kit? Does not look like mine which is completely wrapped and ridiculously thick and I suspect out of round. What would cause this? I tried rotating it, changed lugs out but still I cannot get 2 of the lugs to seat completely on the hoop?? Very frustrating. The drum itself feel great and the head fits on easy and spins without any hangups. Guess I need to start pricing new 24" hoops? I just traded for it and am really starting to like the kit otherwise.

    Also Do you mind if I post my own review of mine in this thread in a few days?

    [IMG][/IMG]

    [IMG][/IMG]
    MDK - Is that a brand new kit? If so, you need to go back to the dealer to have this corrected. That's the thickest-looking hoop I've ever seen. Does not look right at all. If the kit is new, the fix should be on Ludwig.

    GeeDeeEmm

  21. #46

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Ludwig Keystone Series - Drum Reviews

    Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    MDK - Is that a brand new kit? If so, you need to go back to the dealer to have this corrected. That's the thickest-looking hoop I've ever seen. Does not look right at all. If the kit is new, the fix should be on Ludwig.

    GeeDeeEmm
    No it's not new. I traded Fredr my saturn for it. I will ask him about it but I doubt he knows anything about it because it looks like the heads have been on a very very long time due to the amount of dust that came off when i removed all the heads. Everything else is great but the BD sounds a little lifeless so far although I have not changed the heads on it yet.

    The SK1 sounds horrible and I actually removed some of the white foam that comes glued on. I Just hate to invest in a new 24" head and possibly end up trading in or selling the kit anyway.

    The hoop is just about completely wrapped, thats why I am asking inthpkt if his was redone or something because I read some reviews and a few people commented on the poor BD hoop design as far as over wrapping and the thickness. All the other lugs fit snugly but the last 2 are not completely flush and I am sure are causing tuning problems although not sure how much effect it's having.


    I like the way inthpkts wrap on the hoop seems to be much thinner. Looks like I may be able to remove the wrap and spray paint the hoop, then cut the wrap so it is thinner and stick it back on but honestly I am not sure if that will fix my issue. Guess I need to measure out the hoop and see if it is out of round? Not sure if I will be able to tell a slight out of round on a hoop with a tape measure though.
    Last edited by MDK; 05-11-2015 at 12:32 PM.
    http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

    DW Collectors

    Premier Elite Black Sparkle

    Zildjian K Cymbals

    Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing.

    MOST ORCHESTRA'S ARE JUST 1800'S COVER BANDS!

  22. #47

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Ludwig Keystone Series - Drum Reviews

    Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Hey Inthpkt, is that the BD hoop that came with your kit? Does not look like mine which is completely wrapped and ridiculously thick and I suspect out of round. What would cause this? I tried rotating it, changed lugs out but still I cannot get 2 of the lugs to seat completely on the hoop?? Very frustrating. The drum itself feel great and the head fits on easy and spins without any hangups. Guess I need to start pricing new 24" hoops? I just traded for it and am really starting to like the kit otherwise.

    Also Do you mind if I post my own review of mine in this thread in a few days?
    Yes, that is the kick hoop that came with the kit. No idea what's going on with yours. If that's a new kit, I'd contact Ludwig and try to get remedy. Post away. The more reviews the better.

  23. #48

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Ludwig Keystone Series - Drum Reviews

    Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    No it's not new. I traded Fredr my saturn for it. I will ask him about it but I doubt he knows anything about it because it looks like the heads have been on a very very long time due to the amount of dust that came off when i removed all the heads. Everything else is great but the BD sounds a little lifeless so far although I have not changed the heads on it yet.

    The SK1 sounds horrible and I actually removed some of the white foam that comes glued on. I Just hate to invest in a new 24" head and possibly end up trading in or selling the kit anyway.

    The hoop is just about completely wrapped, thats why I am asking inthpkt if his was redone or something because I read some reviews and a few people commented on the poor BD hoop design as far as over wrapping and the thickness. All the other lugs fit snugly but the last 2 are not completely flush and I am sure are causing tuning problems although not sure how much effect it's having.

    I like the way inthpkts wrap on the hoop seems to be much thinner. Looks like I may be able to remove the wrap and spray paint the hoop, then cut the wrap so it is thinner and stick it back on but honestly I am not sure if that will fix my issue. Guess I need to measure out the hoop and see if it is out of round? Not sure if I will be able to tell a slight out of round on a hoop with a tape measure though.
    Try completely removing the hoop from the drum - slide the lugs into position on the hoop (if they are a tight fit then they should not slide out of position), replace the hoop - then insert the tension rods. If this does not work then either the gaps in the lugs are different sizes or the hoop has a thick spot!

  24. #49

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Ludwig Keystone Series - Drum Reviews

    I played a set a while back and my impression is they are geared towards a pop band sound.
    Big ,fat and sweet sounding.
    Perfect for backing vocals and such .
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

  25. #50

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Ludwig Keystone Series - Drum Reviews

    To check the roundness of a bass drum hoop...simply roll it like a tire!!!

    all the best...

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •