Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Are house hold ideas safe to clean with?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Are house hold ideas safe to clean with?

Dishwashing liquid warm water and soft microfiber cloth.( and elbow grease)

User Info Menu

Default Re: Are house hold ideas safe to clean with?

Brasso works well on cymbals, but like all cleaners will remove logos fairly quickly so if you want to preserve them covering them (a small piece of tape, or to avoid tape residue a small piece of a plastic drink bottle held over the logo does the same thing) As for the black residue that is hard to remove - this is only if you allow the black gunk to dry on the face of the cymbal. If you wipe it immediately with a DIFFERENT CLEAN cloth it will come off with no effort. If you allow it to dry you will scrub for a long time and not get anywhere. Always use this stuff outdoors though or in a very well ventilated area as the fumes are not pleasant and will hang around indoors for hours.
    Brasso will clean any copper based cymbal - brass, B8, B20, Nickel Silver etc with equally good results, however - if your cymbals are lacquered it will wear down the lacquer coating just as quickly as it removes grime and logos. If you want to preserve lacquer coating do not use Brasso.
    One thing that cymbal manufacturers fail to mention is that their cleaning products also remove labels and wear down lacquer coatings if used on a regular basis. The reason for this is because they are all a form of metal polish and all metal polish is mildly abrasive. Paiste sell refurbishing product to use when the lacquer coating has worn down due to using their cymbal cleaner.
    If you buy a cymbal manufacturer's cleaning product what you are buying is diluted metal polish - and they advise you to clean your cymbals frequently.
    Sorry, but in my opinion buying a cymbal manufacturers cleaning product is spending money on a false sense of security as they are all essentially a diluted form of Brasso or some similar cleaning product.
    I was in the Brit Armed Forces for years and we also used it on things like ship upper deck fittings and gun muzzle covers etc and it does work. They were cleaned very regularly and did not wear away or become thinner due to frequent cleaning. Anyone who has spent any length of time in their counties military services will acknowledge that they clean shiny things frequently and comprehensively - Brasso will remove some metal when cleaning, but so does cleaning products sold by cymbal manufacturers - and that black crud you see on the cloth is metal (a miniscule amount) AND GRIME.
    I like clean cymbals but don't like the sound when they are freshly cleaned. So, when I get them I use Brasso to clean (but carefully cover the labels if they have them - all of my cymbals were pre owned), after this thorough clean I just use a damp sponge (soap and water) to remove stick marks, dust etc and DRY them thoroughly, buff to a shine afterwards and its done - a couple of minutes tops.
    I have never had to repeat the Brasso treatment after the first clean - just a wipe and buff has been good enough for the last 6 months. They have not re-tarnished.