Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zildjian Sticks

User Info Menu

Default Zildjian Sticks

I just bought two pair of Zildjian sticks before a little show we played Friday. I grabbed a pair of 5a anitvibes and 5a wax dipped sticks ( the ones with the black stuff on the bottom of the sticks ). I played with both pairs off and on while we warmed up for the show, so lets say for about 30 minutes with equal play time for both sticks. Then when it came to the show I mainly used the waxed dipped ones. Guess what? 4 songs in, BOOM! Shattered halfway down the stick. Less than an hours play time on them and gone. I guess this reminded me why I stopped playing with Zildjian sticks.Hopefully the store will give me a refund when I take them back Monday.

The antivibe sticks are not that bad, I actually think I will keep using them. Lol

User Info Menu

Default Re: Zildjian Sticks

that's funny because the antivibes are made for electronic kits

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    that's funny because the antivibes are made for electronic kits
    Yeah that's what i thought. Kinda funny that they held up better than the set sticks. But I've never had a good experience with Zildjian sticks... they should stick to cymbals.
    Sabian Squad (Albeit Ironically )

Check out my Youtube Channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/AustVaiv?feature=mhee

User Info Menu

Yeah, they guy told me they were meant for electric kits, but I figured what the heck. I'll give them a try. They seemed to hold up pretty well and they really do have a lot less vibration to them. Oh well. Back to Vic!

User Info Menu

I have played the Vic Firth 5a Kinetic sticks which are supposed to be for electric too but, I like em for normal kit!

Also the "wax dip" is a "Dip" stick. Its not wax its like rubber
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ZildjianKid234 View Post
    I've never had a good experience with Zildjian sticks... they should stick to cymbals.
    This is my experience with their sticks as well. I did have some luck with Tim Alexander's signature line, but the Manu Katche's would die within a day.

I found Promarks seemingly last forever for me, and I'm having good luck with Vic Firth also. Vater's been a mixed bag.
    A simple, elegant design is good engineering.

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian

User Info Menu

I have a pair of Zildjian Birch Heavy Jazz sticks that I love. They are 5A's but with extra weight. Had them for 3 months now and they've held up great!
    Mapex Saturn Red Sparkle 10, 12, 14, 22
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Snare 14 x 6,

Mapex Armory Photon Blue 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    Tomahawk 14x5.5 Snare

Meinl 20" Dark Raw Bell Ride, 20" Traditional Extra Thin Hand Hammered Crash, 18" Sand Thin Crash, 14" Byzance Dark Hats

Samsun 22" Design series Ride, 13" Design Series Hats, 16" FX Loop Effects Crash + 12" Raw Earth Splash (stacker)

Tama Speed Cobra (single pedal), Tama Iron Cobra (double pedal)

User Info Menu

I had the same problem with 2B standard sticks, I like the weight and feel for me, but I would always break at least one stick every night we played. I just don't use them anymore.

User Info Menu

i've always kinda liked Zildjian for a change up. I have a couple pairs of 3A's right now. Do like the VF 3A's a little better though.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

FYI - Vic Firth has been making Zildjian's sticks for them for several years now. The arrangement went so well that Zildjian went ahead and bought VF last year.

I get a chuckle every time someone says "Zildjian sticks suck! Get some Vic Firths!" .... ummm, same stuff dude.
    Last edited by MattDrums; 04-22-2012 at 08:59 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MattDrums View Post
    FYI - Vic Firth has been making Zildjian's sticks for them for several years now. The arrangement went so well that Zildjian went ahead and bought VF last year.

I get a chuckle every time someone says "Zildjian sticks suck! Get some Vic Firths!" .... ummm, same stuff dude.
    Thats kinda what I was thinking.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MattDrums View Post

There was a thread on that a few months ago, where most of us expressed concern that Zildjian would try to fix what wasn't broken. My understanding was that the two companies continue to operate independently as far as manufacturing goes, and the office personnel got condensed.

Last time I bought Zildjian sticks was 2001, when I think they were manufactured in Alabama (?). I learned from my mistake.

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian

User Info Menu

Vic Firth did merge with Zildjian in December 2010 but the two companies do run autonomously. So for the person who said "...ummm, same stuff dude..." it's not at all the same stuff.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MrB View Post
    There was a thread on that a few months ago, where most of us expressed concern that Zildjian would try to fix what wasn't broken. My understanding was that the two companies continue to operate independently as far as manufacturing goes, and the office personnel got condensed.

Last time I bought Zildjian sticks was 2001, when I think they were manufactured in Alabama (?). I learned from my mistake.
    Quote Originally Posted by drumsetsnide View Post
    Vic Firth did merge with Zildjian in December 2010 but the two companies do run autonomously. So for the person who said "...ummm, same stuff dude..." it's not at all the same stuff.

That is what I had understood as well. The two companies have the save management, but still make their own products independently. But, maybe Zildjian could take a few notes from the Vic Firth side of manufacturing to produce a better stick.

User Info Menu

i have used zildjian sticks for years . hardly ever break any , and im pretty heavy handed. im now using the Adrian Young sig size . really like them .
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Zildjian sticks never.
    Vaters or nothing for me.
    its like buying Honda tires if there was such a thing, just make the cars, ill worry about the tire choice.
    why did you consider buying the toothpicks when you have so many dedicated stick makers? id never consider such a purchase.
    lucky you didnt get a shard of wood in your eye
    ive broke more Vic Firth sticks than any other brand, im on my first pair of Vaters for the past 6 months, ive got 4 pair left in the bag, Mike Johnstons.
    ill never buy any other stick again
    Last edited by kyle102565; 04-22-2012 at 01:45 PM.

User Info Menu

Never tried Zildjian sticks, heard they are somewhat delicate. I use Nova by VF though, so I imagine i'd like Zildjians just as much. Really though the delicate thing could happen to any brand depending on what size stick and how it gets used.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Never tried Zildjian sticks, heard they are somewhat delicate. I use Nova by VF though, so I imagine i'd like Zildjians just as much. Really though the delicate thing could happen to any brand depending on what size stick and how it gets used.

Normally I would totally agree with this, but I have had this problem with Zildjian sticks in the past. My grandparents used to pick up sticks for me years ago when I first started drumming, and they would get get whatever was cheapest at the time ( I did't really have a preference then ). Without fail the Zildjian sticks always broke first and in the same way. They never got chipped or chewed up like many sticks do. Every pair have broke halfway down the shank, into two clean pieces. No like straggling strands holding it together. I'll say maybe I just happen to get a hold of the bad sticks, that would be my luck.

User Info Menu

What size did you get each time you used Zildjians?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Its usually 5a, but ocassionally I will get 5b, no matter what brand.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderjig View Post
    I had the same problem with 2B standard sticks, I like the weight and feel for me, but I would always break at least one stick every night we played. I just don't use them anymore.
    You break 2B's?
    Those are tree trunks.
    Can you say "hitting too hard" ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Xoferif09 View Post
    They never got chipped or chewed up like many sticks do. Every pair have broke halfway down the shank, into two clean pieces. No like straggling strands holding it together. I'll say maybe I just happen to get a hold of the bad sticks, that would be my luck.
    This is precisely what I experienced! I would feel a pinch in my palm and without fail, this was what I discovered each time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MrB View Post
    This is precisely what I experienced! I would feel a pinch in my palm and without fail, this was what I discovered each time.
    Exactly! I'll try to dig through by bin of busted sticks ive been saving for some unknown reason to find some like this. This is always what happens.
    Sabian Squad (Albeit Ironically )

Check out my Youtube Channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/AustVaiv?feature=mhee

User Info Menu

Yeah Zildjian may own Vic, but they aren't made in the same factory. I HATE the tips on zildjian sticks. Also they seem very....light? or something, not their weight, something else.

However I do like the Heavy Jazz stick.

Zildjian should stick to cymbals, or atleast try to make some of their cymbals sound good
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpatzST View Post
    Zildjian should stick to cymbals, or atleast try to make some of their cymbals sound good
    Haha...I'm assuming this was a bit if a joke. Zildjian has been the finest manufacturer of cymbals and continues to make the finest cymbals in the industry. They have hundreds of years under their belt at perfecting cymbal quality, sound and production. They are the most sold and used cymbals in the world and still the industry standard in the studio. Some of this is opinion, much is fact.

Sorry to stray from the topic but I couldn't help but comment.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG