Thread: Going Backwards.

User Info Menu

Default Going Backwards.

This is a thread i thought of on the drive back home from work.

If you suddenly woke up and it was the day you started drumming again. What would you think to buy as your basic minimal gear you would buy. Not what you would dream of with your knowledge now. Like the gear that you must have as a basic.

For example and for me. I would have to have a Pearl EX Export 5 piece fusion sizes. The basic eliminator double kick and a ZBT pack.

Its the minimum i could live with... and what im gonna be getting soon as funds are up.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

As for cymbals I would probably still go with the paiste 802's I got when I was starting out or maybe zildjian ZBTs . For the drum set I'd get a Yamaha Rydeen.

User Info Menu

Stevo, I'd like to say that I would do things different, maybe start out with the Gretsch kit, and something better than the Zildjian ZBT's, but to be honest, I chose the ddrum D2 kit as an upgrade from a practice pad to find out if I have what it took to play a kit. It really didn't take much time for me to answer that question, so the starter kit served it's purpose, and I now have a kit for my son to start on and figure out the same question. As to the cymbals, for me I think the ZBT's were the right place to go. I am still figuring out what I want in the sound of a cymbal, so it just doesn't make much sense for me to buy anything more expensive until I know what I want in a cymbal. I think the best advice I've gotten is to buy a set of hi-hats with the sound I want, and then always choose cymbals that can compliment that sound. On my salary, that will take some time, but then I'm in no hurry to play for an audience, so I think everything is going along just fine.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

What were you taught about choosing hi hats pastor? Care to enlighten me :>
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

I was just asking what cymbals everyone would choose first if they were upgrading, and several people said the hi-hat should be first, because you could actually play a decent song with bass, hit-hat and snare. Sounded like good advice to me.

I still have to determine the sound that I like, so every time I go for a lesson, I go early and listen to the various cymbals. I think I'm beginning to narrow down the sound that I like to the Zildjian A series. I like them better than the A Customs, but I am still exploring as many of the other manufacturers as I can.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Ah ok. I prolly should have asked if there were more hi hats when i went to perth because i liked the ZHT's and got reemed for liking sheet cymbals when i got back here :P
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Don't think of it as "reemed," Stevo. People just don't want to see you waste money on sheet cymbals if you could have gone to something better. The bottom line is that each of us has to consider the best cymbal "that we can afford," and that will be different for each of us. Some of the most experienced drummers know the pitfalls of jumping at something too quickly. Just make sure you consider their sage advice, and then do what you must.

User Info Menu

Hm at the same time i know im just starting it will take me about 5 years to get my cymbals right :P....

Anyone else have some basics?
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Basic gear for me would be: Bass Drum, Single Pedal, Snare Drum, Snare Drum Stand, Hi-Hats, Hi-Hat Stand, Throne, Drum Sticks.

I don't use toms for every song do I? However I do use everything mentioned there for EVERY SINGLE song I play. And I probably would need a ride wouldn't I.

User Info Menu

hm.... Thats basic basic we could all work off.... But like if you had to go on tour to play your songs. What brand and series would you get..... And what pieces.... You wouldnt lug 2 bassdrums and 14 toms and say you need it....... If yall understand what i kinda mean?
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

OK if you put it like that I would take a beginner kit let's say (Checks Billy Hyde site.) Ludwig Black CS COMBO Kit in Fusion sizes (22x18, 10x8, 12x8, 14x14, 5x14.) Planet Z Cymbal's (14" Hi-Hats, 16" Crash, 18" Crash/ Ride, 20" Ride.) I've spent probably just under a grand on a set up that will do a gig or two. Almost forgot, Dixon single chain double pedal.

User Info Menu

Actually Stevo, I think you nailed exactly what I would buy for my basic minimal set-up.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Hm well im kinda at the point. Where ya buy your first kit (Even though i should have done it 7 or 8 years ago.)

With tight funds (Even tho i am gonna take out a 20 grand loan.) Thats what i would get to keep myself happy.

I could then drum. Play/record with my mate. While dealing with all the crap i deal with atm and be able to live happy.

Ive been so miserable lately. Its all because i dont have drums.. I dont think anyone here could begin to understand me.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Stevo, I hate to say it, but I think your state of mind might be about more than just an absence of drums. Sounds like you've have a lot of burdens. I hope that the drumming might help you to lay down some of your other burdens. If not, just beat the heck out of those drums, and maybe that will help!