Thread: Recording drums with video

User Info Menu

Question Recording drums with video

What's the easiest way to record using a mixer, and video taping at the same time, without going into video editing? Anyone have any tips?

Recording Drums
    DRM>

User Info Menu

Default Re: Recording drums with video

I'll be following this thread for sure.
    I've wanted a ZOOM Q3HD for a while because it has really good sound and video quality, but nothing beats a set of decent mic's!
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex

User Info Menu

I'm presuming you have mics already as well as a mixer and video camera? Does your video camera have a line in input? If so, you should be able to out put your mixer direct to your video camera. What kind of mixer, mics and video camera do you have?
    Mapex Saturn Red Sparkle 10, 12, 14, 22
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Snare 14 x 6,

Mapex Armory Photon Blue 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    Tomahawk 14x5.5 Snare

Meinl 20" Dark Raw Bell Ride, 20" Traditional Extra Thin Hand Hammered Crash, 18" Sand Thin Crash, 14" Byzance Dark Hats

Samsun 22" Design series Ride, 13" Design Series Hats, 16" FX Loop Effects Crash + 12" Raw Earth Splash (stacker)

Tama Speed Cobra (single pedal), Tama Iron Cobra (double pedal)

User Info Menu

Unfortunately video editing is inevitable if you are using mics and a camera separately. AlmostMatt has the best solution to this dilemma already posted; the one and only Zoom Q3HD. It's almost like they made it for drums.

With mics and camera separate, video editing is easy. It's all in syncing audio with video. A trick I use is creating audio/visual reference points like screaming at the top of my lungs, that way I can sync that and be good. Of course, you don't have to be as stupid as I am about it. That's the best way to make a quality video, but if you're looking for any basic recording you could possibly try covering the mic port(s) on your camera with something to muffle the drums. Stock mics in cameras clip easy though, so that'd take work. Depending on the camera, you may be able to find some external aux audio cable for your camera to plug into your mixer and camera, however mixing your drums would be next to impossible.

Good luck!
    C&C ll Rogers ll Ludwig ll Slingerland

Istanbul Agop 16" Signature Hats ll 15" 30th Anniversary Hats
    Istanbul Agop 22" Special Edition Jazz Ride ll 22" Trash Hit
    Istanbul Agop 24" Turk Jazz Ride

DW 6000/9000 Hardware ll Aquarian Drumheads ll Roland SPD-SX ll Ableton Live 9

User Info Menu

Yah you HAVE to video edit. Unless your camera has a line in in which case you would need to plug in your line out from the mixer to the cameras line in.
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

Thanks for all your input.
    Yes, I'm all set up with my mixer, mics, headphone amp and a good mix.
    It's seems like the Q3HD is the way to go. Just to be sure, I can take a line out of my mixer and go direct into the Q3HD, correct?
    DRM>

User Info Menu

My biggest problem with doing drum videos is getting my webcam to remain steady. Every time I hit the bass drum or snare, the camera shakes. If I could mount it solid, it's capable of doing 720p video with decent quality.

For the audio part, I connect my mixer from the headphone output to my laptop's line-in and record it using Audacity. I then mix the video/audio together using Microsoft Movie Maker. It's not going to give professional results considering they're free tools, but it's acceptable.
    DW Performance Series
    Peavey Radial Pro RBS-1
    Roland TDW-20

Gibraltar rack system
    Sabian AA/AAX/HHX/Vault
    Tama pedals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dugdrums View Post
    Thanks for all your input.
    Yes, I'm all set up with my mixer, mics, headphone amp and a good mix.
    It's seems like the Q3HD is the way to go. Just to be sure, I can take a line out of my mixer and go direct into the Q3HD, correct?
    yes it only has one line in input (1/8") and will disable the onboard mic. You might want too look into a cheaper pocket camera if you are soley going to use it for video since you are doing the audio externally. The Kodak Zi8 comes to mind but I'm not sure if it has a line in input.

If you can get the zoom, it'll be great for practice sessions if you don't want to set up everything else, or even live events. The audio quality is really good. Be mindful that you may want to purchase the AC Adapter as it eats batteries.
    Also you will be able to do some video editing within the Zoom and upload direct to youtube.
    Mapex Saturn Red Sparkle 10, 12, 14, 22
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Snare 14 x 6,

Mapex Armory Photon Blue 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    Tomahawk 14x5.5 Snare

Meinl 20" Dark Raw Bell Ride, 20" Traditional Extra Thin Hand Hammered Crash, 18" Sand Thin Crash, 14" Byzance Dark Hats

Samsun 22" Design series Ride, 13" Design Series Hats, 16" FX Loop Effects Crash + 12" Raw Earth Splash (stacker)

Tama Speed Cobra (single pedal), Tama Iron Cobra (double pedal)

User Info Menu

I painfully went down this road and it is well documented on dc. Completely and finally solved with the zoom q3hd. All my drums are mic'd and run through a line mixer. Ipod also goes through mixer. One line out into camera. Very easy and once you get the volumes mixed out, it sounds great. Check my 'covers' thread if you want to see and hear it in action.