Thread: clean cymbals

User Info Menu

Default clean cymbals

Hi drummers, I just bought a bottle of cymbal cleaner called groove jucie. After cleaning my cymbals not only do they shine and look brand new but also sound alot better. I didn't ever think that cleaning my cymbals would ever make them stand out and sound so good.

Keep drumming

Gregg

User Info Menu

Default Re: clean cymbals

Nice! I personally love the Buckaroo cleaner, haven't found anything that works as well with such little effort!

There's two schools of thought on cleaning- those like you and I that feel they sound better when sparkling clean, and those that think the added patina of age and oily fingerprints and stickmarks is what makes them sound better. I just can't get on board with that camp. As much as I like some vintage cymbal sounds, I much prefer the pristine sounds I personally feel come out after mine have been cleaned!!

User Info Menu

I'm not so sure it's not psychological! Lol

User Info Menu

Well, I think it's a little bit psychological, but mostly scientific. Dirt, patina, and fingerprint oils get into all the tonal grooves over time and act as a muffling device. Toning down and softening up the sound. Blending the highs and lows. Creating a more classic, soft sound. Clean cymbals have nothing muffling them and therefore are able to sing unimpeded. Tending to sound sharper, brighter, and probably a little louder.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Take a lot of dirt and patina to really change the sound, IMO!

User Info Menu

I got tired of trying to preserve my inked logos as I cleaned often. Finally got the nerve to wipe them totally clean since a majority of the older cymbals had no ink left on them. I don't miss the ink.

User Info Menu

This topic seems to come up once or twice a year...... every year. Nothing wrong with that. I'm personaly in the "clean my cymbal" catagory.

But after trying both ways, I don't feel there's a right or wrong way. It's whatever makes you happy.

I look at this stuff like Slinglander, I think it's in our head. Much like some gimics thats suppose to give your engine more power and better gas mileage. If you stick it on there, it "feels" like it has more power, but does it really? There's no scientific proof without something to measure it with. So until this proof comes to light, I'll have to stay sceptical on whether it truly does change the sound clean to petina.

I have tried both ways. I let my cymbals get pretty grimmy, and at first I thought they did sounded alittle different until I just could'nt stand the fingerprints and dust and grime anymore and broke down and cleaned them up. When I did finally play again, I just really could'nt say they sounded any different grimmy to clean. I think you can train or convince yourself to hear things that may not be there or somthin like that.

Just my opinion guys.....
    Last edited by jafo; 05-11-2012 at 08:24 PM.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    18" Paiste 3000 RUDE crash/ride

User Info Menu

I heard that if you mix lipstick and vinegar and spread it onto your cymbals with a paint brush and leave it on for like an hour, it's supposed to make your cymbals sound like the mating call of a wild magpie.

I mean, I just heard that. I don't know if it's true or not.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I got tired of trying to preserve my inked logos as I cleaned often. Finally got the nerve to wipe them totally clean since a majority of the older cymbals had no ink left on them. I don't miss the ink.

the set looks great ,
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

@ Tom- Thanks!

User Info Menu

I'm diggin the striped vistalites.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

The sound of a cymbal is undoubtedly changed by a thin layer of dirt, dust, grime, etc. However, I seriously doubt the human ear can distinguish the difference.

Personally I like the clean, shiny look on the cymbals I have; but some of the cymbals I've seen look great covered in patina. As for the logos, I don't really worry about them. I bought 'em, I remember what they are.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    I'm not so sure it's not psychological! Lol
    Yeah, It's kind of like washing the car or changing the oil, all of a sudden it rides and runs like a new car.

User Info Menu

I like the sound of dirtier aged cymbals over clean ones. Plus it would be hard to tell what's what if my logos are gone, so..
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I heard that if you mix lipstick and vinegar and spread it onto your cymbals with a paint brush and leave it on for like an hour, it's supposed to make your cymbals sound like the mating call of a wild magpie.

OMG drummer! That's exactly the sound I've been trying for. Thanks for that tip.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jumpwing View Post
    The sound of a cymbal is undoubtedly changed by a thin layer of dirt, dust, grime, etc. However, I seriously doubt the human ear can distinguish the difference.

Personally I like the clean, shiny look on the cymbals I have; but some of the cymbals I've seen look great covered in patina. As for the logos, I don't really worry about them. I bought 'em, I remember what they are.
    This.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

I only clean mine if I start seeing green on them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post

Jeez, ya a funny bugger, Tom!

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    I only clean mine if I start seeing green on them.
    Well, if I start to see green on mine......gotta dip less aggressively into the guacamole with my corn chips!
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8