Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First time playing for an audience - help!

User Info Menu

Default Re: First time playing for an audience - help!

That's good to hear Cody! Remember what atomcorr2 said at the top of this thread. YOU'LL be the best drummer on that stage the day of the talent show. There might be better drummers sitting in the audience watching you play but remember one thing, they're just sitting and you're on stage playing...

User Info Menu

1) Fake it till you make it.

2) Jack Daniels

Whatever you do, DON'T smoke pot.

User Info Menu

Hey Cody-
    The day you take the stage and DON'T feel your stomach twiching ....well...you're dead. It's normal like all the others have stated. My technique is to start playing the first set/song and focus on my band mates. For me it was the bass player.
    As you warm up and calm down, you can then start looking beyond the stage.

If none of this advise works, perhaps you should consider buying a boat : )
    Rogers XP8
    Original owner, 1980
    All Zildjian, All the time!

The strong do what they will, the weak accept what they must.

User Info Menu

Two things: Smile a lot - cause hey, youre havin fun so dont be shy about showing it--and Enjoy the playing ~ enjoy the comradarie with your band mates and the envy of the crowd...cause dont forget- - youre doing something that they cant do but would love to be able to do! And dont forget - Its addictive- - the fun of playing live performances and the cheering crowd and the thrill of it all. Plus, some time in the near future, youre gonna rake in some cash money from the gig...add that to the rest of it and yeah...aint no drug like the one you get from playin Live Performances ...
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

WTG Cody! I'm glad it's already getting better. You'll be fine in no time.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Well I played my very first live performance yesterday... and it was awesome. I was terrified right up until we took the stage but then the nerves died down and we rocked it. The rhythm guitarist plugged in to his pedal and amp wrong and he was struggling so i helped him and that just really calmed me down, he was the first two make a mistake on stage! We played to songs, the first one was pretty loaded with mistakes, and the second was pretty awesome, but we got second place and when I watched the video of the performance it sounded like we rocked it. Even our mistakes weren't very noticeable which was surprising because at the time I felt like they were glaring. Overall it was an awesome time and I was high on adrenaline for like an hour after. Cant wait to perform again.
    Last edited by codym444; 06-24-2012 at 11:59 AM.
    Cody

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by codym444 View Post
    Well I played my very first live performance yesterday... and it was awesome. I was terrified right up until we took the stage but then the nerves died down and we rocked it. The rhythm guitarist plugged in to his pedal and amp wrong and he was struggling so i helped him and that just really calmed me down, he was the first two make a mistake on stage! We played to songs, the first one was pretty loaded with mistakes, and the second was pretty awesome, but we got second place and when I watched the video of the performance it sounded like we rocked it. Even our mistakes weren't very noticeable which was surprising because at the time I felt like they were glaring. Overall it was an awesome time and I was high on adrenaline for like an hour after. Cant wait to perform again.
    And there's the truth of it. You will notice the mistakes & see them as huge, but the crowd won't notice & will just enjoy themselves.
    I'm really glad you enjoyed it, and I'm sure it'll only get even better every time from now on.
    Mapex Armory - Photon Blue
    Mapex VXB kit - Transparent Black
    Mapex & Pearl snares
    Paiste Alpha & RUDE cymbals
    Remo & Vater

User Info Menu

Cool Re: First time playing for an audience - help!

Hey, cody, I'm not sure what I can add, since our brother drummers gave you a lot of incredibly great advice--and it sounds like you did well on your very first live gig!

Let me share my "first time before strangers" story. I was playing percussion with my drum teacher's big-bandleader son at a political fundraising dinner and was as nervous as that cat on a hot tin roof. Before I joined the band for the Latin set, he had some fun with the audience and played "The Duck Dance" (also known as "The Chicken Dance" in some areas)--you know, the one where you flap your wings, shake your tail feathers, etc...

The girl singer for the band (who happens to be the teacher's wife) got up and began leading the dance. I thought, "oh what the heck! If she's gonna do it, I'll do it!" Let me put it this way: As a duck dancer, I'm a great bongo player! But I was laughing so hard at my own dancing, I was thoroughly relaxed by the time I joined the band...and the bongos and congas sounded great.

I know it won't work for everyone, but here's the pont: If you can laugh at yourself, you'll find yourself smiling all the way through the gig!

Keep rockin' those drums, man!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck