Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PDP X7 or tama silverstar

User Info Menu

Default PDP X7 or tama silverstar

Hey guys, earlier I posted a thread asking about drumkit choices and whether I should buy Pedals or not first. Thanks to you guys I decided to keep me money and save for a drum kit. I did a few hours research on forums and branded sites and narrowed it down to 2 drum kits that are ^^^in my price range which is anything up to $2,000. The drum kits I chose which I haven't played before are the tama silverstar and PDP x7.

Now at my local shop the PDP is under $1,200, and the silverstar is just under $1,900. They both come with hardware. I am not even close to buying either one yet so please don't recommend or link sites. Oh and I also play heavy metal and rock music most of the time. I personally like the x7 because of the amount of toms, this means you can take them off or on depending whether you like it or not. Also it's a cheap price for the amount of drums. The reason I like the tama is because it seems people think it's alot more professionally made, and sounds like a proffessional drum kit that should be worth twice as much as you pay. I also like the hardware included as I do have a road pro stand and it hasn't moved since I bought it a year ago.

So what do you guys think?
    CURRENT SETUP-
    Sonic Drive 7 piece kit.
    2 up 2 down

- Sabian AA Holy China 17"
    - Meinl classics custom extreme metal crash 18"
    - Sabian AA 16" crash
    - Zildjian Z custom 20" ride
    - Evans G2 heads
    - Pearl Demon Drive Double Pedal
    -Joey Jordison signature snare drum.

Drummer For: *BAND HAS NO NAME YET*
    Genre:Metal/Screamo

User Info Menu

Default Re: PDP X7 or tama silverstar

I'm a Tama guy so I'd go with the Tama. And Road Pro hardware is AWESOME, as you already know.

The good news is that you said a local shop has them both. You know what to do. Go to the shop and play them both. Let your ears decide.

User Info Menu

They have both of them yes. But the tama silverstar is basically my current setup now. I have heard good and bad about both kits. Apparently the x7 is made of cheaper wood which means it will not last as long as the silverstar. Which concerns me alot. Also has anyone had any experience with PDP hardware? Also adding another note. If I do buy the silverstar I won't have money for my new Pedal and a china cymbal. And if I buy the x7 I can afford all of that. But I love the road pro hardware.
    CURRENT SETUP-
    Sonic Drive 7 piece kit.
    2 up 2 down

- Sabian AA 16" crash
    - Evans G2 heads

User Info Menu

I all comes down to, a lot of drums, or smaller amount of better drums.

User Info Menu

I own both a PDP kit and a Tama kit. If I'm given those two choices, Tama comes out ahead. I've found the Superstars I bought to be a great kit, well made, excellent hardware. I wouldn't hesitate to put my money on one of their better kits. I don't have as much confidence in the PDP hardware, although I hear they have made some improvements recently.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by northern redneck View Post
    i all comes down to, a lot of drums, or smaller amount of better drums.
    +1
    Matt

User Info Menu

I am a TAMA fan. I own 4 TAMA kits and many pieces of TAMA hardware. I have owned and played a few other big name drums and they just don't compare to TAMA in my opinion. And to be a little fair, I do own another brand, Gretsch, and I am a big fan of Gretsch as well. But you are asking about TAMA.

The roadpro hardware is fantastic. All TAMA hardware is top-of-the-line.

You get what you pay for 99% of the time. You sacrifice somewhere when you pay less for something.

Here is a quote I like. "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a good deal is forgotten."

You asked which one. TAMA gets my vote.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

I'm a happy own of an X7 kit. It's true that the hardware is not as good as some other kits, but now that I've owned it a while (about a year), I've found that it seems to be holding up just fine. But I'm not gigging much with it, so it might be a different story if was being moved around all the time.

I'll say this, though: if you're using the same kit in very different sized rooms -- like a small practice room at home and then large rooms when you gig -- the extra drums can be really nice. To take one example: in a large room, the 8" tom is nearly useless (for rock anyway), but in a small practice room, it's probably the best sounding tom on the set. Smaller drums just sound better in a tiny room, so having those drums makes it more fun to practice at home. Plus with all those different sizes, you can rework your drumset into different configurations all the time, which can inspire creativity. So for sheer fun value, the X7 is a pretty fantastic set for the money.
    kits:
    Mapex Saturn IV -- Transparent Espresso Walnut (10-12-14-16-22)
    RMV Bapeva shell -- Blue Sparkle (12-14-16-22)

snares:
    14x6.5 Yamaha seamless brass
    14x6.5 Taye Metalworks vintage brass
    14x6.5 Taye Metalworks stainless steel
    14x6 Tama Starphonic brass
    14x6 Pork Pie maple
    10x6 Pork Pie maple

cymbals:
    14" K's and New Beats

20" Byzance Sand Ride
    20" K Custom Dark Ride
    21" HHX Legacy Ride
    20" and 22" Dream Contact Crash/Rides

15" AAX Dark Crash
    16" Signature Fast Crash
    18" Saluda Earthworks Crash
    20" Crash of Doom

8" A Custom splash
    10" Signature splash

electronics:
    Roland SPD-30
    Alesis Sample Pad Pro

User Info Menu

Between those two choices, I'd go with the Tama. I loved my old Rockstar kit. It was cheap but the hardware was amazing and the shells still sounded good for what they were. I'm sure you wouldn't regret the Silverstar.
    DW Performance Series
    Peavey Radial Pro RBS-1
    Roland TDW-20

Gibraltar rack system
    Sabian AA/AAX/HHX/Vault
    Tama pedals

User Info Menu

I've owned a lot of different kits. Ludwig, Tama, Pearl, Sonor, Premier, and my current PDP X7 kit. My Ludwig, Premier and Pearl were all top of the line, the best the company had to offer at the time of purchase. The Tama was a Rockstar DX and the Sonor's are a Special Edition limited kit.

Having said that I'd put my X7's up against any kit I've owned. I've had them for 15 months and I've been nothing but impressed with them since day one. I've not had one problem with the kit. They are very well made. The Maple Shells and lacquer finish are quality all the way. The kit sounds amazing for a mid level kit. As I've said before, when I bought this kit I played it side by side with a DW performance kit and the only thing that sounded better on the Performance kit was the snare. If you can get past the ugly looking lugs the PDP X7 kit is a great buy.

User Info Menu

Thanks for your input bro, the snare will be used as a side snare as i have a JJ sig snare anyway. What sounds does it produce, decent for heavier music. I mean sure the tama has the best hardware and is more higher up in terms of opinion. What about the hardware also. Is it quit sturdy or do i have to upgrade. And i think the lugs on the kit look fine but that's me. I just don't want to be buying things to fix it since its made of cheaper wood. That's the only concern with the pdp.
    CURRENT SETUP-
    Sonic Drive 7 piece kit.
    2 up 2 down

- Sabian AA 16" crash
    - Evans G2 heads

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lucius-Borich-JR View Post
    Thanks for your input bro, the snare will be used as a side snare as i have a JJ sig snare anyway. What sounds does it produce, decent for heavier music. I mean sure the tama has the best hardware and is more higher up in terms of opinion. What about the hardware also. Is it quit sturdy or do i have to upgrade. And i think the lugs on the kit look fine but that's me. I just don't want to be buying things to fix it since its made of cheaper wood. That's the only concern with the pdp.
    You keep talking about the "cheaper wood" of the X7, like you're afraid it's going to fall apart in a year or something. It's not like that. The difference in wood between the X7 kit and the top-of-the-line DW kits is that the X7's are made with Asian maple and the DW's are made with North American Hard Rock maple. (There are other differences between the drums, of course, but that's the difference in woods.) Both are quality woods, but the N.A. Hard Rock maple is a more dense wood, which gives the drum a better tone. (Actually, though, the difference in tone is not as great as you might expect, given the difference in price. In my opinion, with the toms and bass drum, you get about 90% of the sound quality with the X7's for about 25% of the price. If you want to hear it for yourself, check out this link for a comparison of an X7 kit (about $1000), DW Performance kit (about $2000), and DW Collector's kit (about $4000):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cy2eoR8EMrk

The weak link of the X7 kits are the snares, but that's not an issue for you since you already have a good snare.)

Nothing I've said here is meant to suggest that the Tama's not a great kit too. I don't have any experience with that kit, so I can't say one way or the other. But the ONLY durability issue to consider with the X7's is the hardware, not the wood -- and even then, as you've heard from other members on this site, the hardware holds up just fine too (though Tama hardware is usually superior to other brands at the same price point, so I suspect it's probably that way with the kit you're considering too).
    kits:
    Mapex Saturn IV -- Transparent Espresso Walnut (10-12-14-16-22)
    RMV Bapeva shell -- Blue Sparkle (12-14-16-22)

snares:
    14x6.5 Yamaha seamless brass
    14x6.5 Taye Metalworks vintage brass
    14x6.5 Taye Metalworks stainless steel
    14x6 Tama Starphonic brass
    14x6 Pork Pie maple
    10x6 Pork Pie maple

cymbals:
    14" K's and New Beats

20" Byzance Sand Ride
    20" K Custom Dark Ride
    21" HHX Legacy Ride
    20" and 22" Dream Contact Crash/Rides

15" AAX Dark Crash
    16" Signature Fast Crash
    18" Saluda Earthworks Crash
    20" Crash of Doom

8" A Custom splash
    10" Signature splash

electronics:
    Roland SPD-30
    Alesis Sample Pad Pro

User Info Menu

Both kits are more than adequate in sound and construction for the needs of most working drummers. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

A couple of quick thoughts...

Tama has a habit of re-vamping their lines and finishes on a regular basis, so if you get the Silverstar get every size drum you want now. I have seen a lot of guys get burned by Tama when they decided to hold off and get that extra tom or two later on.

The X7 kit has been discontinued, so whatever is left on the market is the last of it and most dealers are trying to move them out to free up cash for new inventory. The chances of you finding one NIB in your preferred finish are going to get slimmer and slimmer, so if you decide on the PDP, get it now.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by soren-k View Post
    -- and even then, as you've heard from other members on this site, the hardware holds up just fine too (though Tama hardware is usually superior to other brands at the same price point, so I suspect it's probably that way with the kit you're considering too).
    Correct!
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

I'm not sure where the whole "cheaper wood" thing is coming from here. I doubt that Tama is making their silverstar kits from top of the line Baltic or Scandanavian birch. They're probably making them from a SLIGHTLY softer birch. Much like a pdp x7 is made from a SLIGHTLY softer Asian maple instead of a North American rock maple like you'd find on any of their highest line of kits. My Mapex Pro M is an Asian maple kit and I think that it sounds great.

I would give Tama's hardware the edge over what you'd get from pdp.

That said, play them both and let your ears decide which kit is right for you.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

I thought the PDP was made of poplar? Or has it changed to cheap maple? And I watched that link that compared the PDP and DW kits and they sound so familiar. It's just that I'm ^^^in an insanely small room which will affect the sound. And makes my drums now sound like cardboard
    CURRENT SETUP-
    Sonic Drive 7 piece kit.
    2 up 2 down

- Sabian AA 16" crash
    - Evans G2 heads

User Info Menu

The X7 kits switched from poplar to maple around '08

User Info Menu

Yeah that's right, the X7's of late have been made from maple. You know how I made a post about a PDP kit in all black finish and hardware that one of my local stores was trying to sell? The store's owner, Maurice, told me there and then that that was the case, that it's a maple set.

But as like others have said, you need to do a comparison of both sets, weight up the pros and cons of their sound, reliabilty of hardware, etc. Happy hunting!
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

I thought the PDP was made of poplar? Or has it changed to cheap maple?
    I posted this in your "pedals or kit thread". You may of overlooked the first prominent feature of the PDP X7 kit, 7-ply maple vs 6 ply for your other considerations:

User Info Menu

^^so you did..hmm yeah I may have overlooked it. I definitely will note the pros and cons of each kit drumbledore. But why aren't they making the PDP x7 anymore, are they bringing ^^^in a new line of a 7 piece kit?
    CURRENT SETUP-
    Sonic Drive 7 piece kit.
    2 up 2 down

- Sabian AA 16" crash
    - Evans G2 heads

User Info Menu

im going to send you a pm

User Info Menu

^^so you did..hmm yeah I may have overlooked it. I definitely will note the pros and cons of each kit drumbledore. But why aren't they making the PDP x7 anymore, are they bringing ^^^in a new line of a 7 piece kit?
    Yes it's called the PDP Concept series, exact same shells as the X7 with different lugs and a bit of a hardware upgrade.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    im going to send you a pm
    I like the look of the drum craft kits I didn't think they were that good. There is one at my local store made of acrylic 2 up 2 down including an extra smaller rack Tom. The sonor kit link didn't work. Thanks ^^so much for going out your way. Appreciate it. Also with this concept series, is it more expensive. Is it available everywhere or isn't it available yet? Also what do you guys think about the tama hyperdrive? Bit out of my range by $300 but eh.
    CURRENT SETUP-
    Sonic Drive 7 piece kit.
    2 up 2 down

- Sabian AA 16" crash
    - Evans G2 heads

User Info Menu

Also what do you guys think about the tama hyperdrive? Bit out of my range by $300 but eh.
    I would just go with the Silverstars, or if you can find them the regular-depth Superstars (which are now discontinued). Personally I'm not a fan of the really shallow toms. They just don't seem to have as much body as the regular depths.

As far as I can tell, the only difference between the Silverstars and the regular-depth Superstars is that the Silverstars have 2.3mm hoops and the Superstars have die cast.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Ok then. I did a little research on the PDP concept series and it seems to only be available ^^^in America at the moment but I will keep researching. Anyone have any other suggestions maybe ^^^in the mapex range I ain't heard any recommendations on them or pearl. Even though the thread was purely about the kits I asked for.
    CURRENT SETUP-
    Sonic Drive 7 piece kit.
    2 up 2 down

- Sabian AA 16" crash
    - Evans G2 heads