Thread: Drum Keys

User Info Menu

Default Drum Keys

There are so many different drum keys out there, and for the longest time, I have used a regular old drum key. I play snare for a brass marching band, and I was looking at two new keys. The first is a ratchet drum key, and the other is a speed key. Just looking for thoughts and opinions before I buy a new one.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum Keys

Quote Originally Posted by kabbanger View Post
    There are so many different drum keys out there, and for the longest time, I have used a regular old drum key. I play snare for a brass marching band, and I was looking at two new keys. The first is a ratchet drum key, and the other is a speed key. Just looking for thoughts and opinions before I buy a new one.
    Hey Kabbanger, welcome to DC! Back in my drumline days, when playing high tensioned drums, I used a Ludwig ratchet key. I have one in my collection now, but only use it to tear down and set up a particular hhat stand.

Is your marching snare cranked way up? If so the ratchet key is easy on the fingers. It's good to have a standard key on stand-by for head changes. The ratchet key is awkward for spinning off the T-rods. There is a key out called the Firefly. I would have liked one of those back in my drumline days.

User Info Menu

I have a rachet key. It comes in handy once in a while.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kabbanger View Post
    For marching drums, I use a yamaha drum key like this one:

It has extra long arms on it to give you more leverage when cranking. It spins really well when the rods are loose. I have never used a ratchet key, but I don't see why it wouldn't work, though you wouldn't be able to spin it on each rod.

Tan

User Info Menu

I've got a speed key in my collection of keys. It's not bad for getting things in the general ballpark quickly. The fine tuning I do with the ol' tried and true standard key.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Ratchet key.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

I use a "drill bit" drum key for quick drumhead changes, and a regular DW drum key for fine tuning. Works fantastic, and they were both under $8 each.
    Kit: Pacific LX 8-Ply - Maple shells in deep blue lacquer * DDrum 13 X 6.5" Golf Ball Snare
    Cymbals: 21" AAX Raw Bell Dry Ride * 20" Paragon Crash * Zildjian 20" Custom Ozone Crash * 18" XS20 Medium Thin Crash * 14" AAX-Celerator Hi-Hats * 10" AAX Splash
    Misc: Vater 2-4-5-1 Hickory Sticks * DW 7000 Pedal * Evans Heads * SP Cymbal Stands * PDP 900 Hi-Hat and Snare Stand * Gibralter Throne

User Info Menu

I just use a really cheap standard drum key, of which the brand is unknown. I picked it up for $5 and it does everything I need it to.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Kabbanger, you should check out this guy's collection.

http://www.drumkeys.eu/dresler.asp
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Something innovative Premier was doing years ago. They slotted the tension rod heads so that in a pinch you could turn them with a flat screw driver or a coin.

all the best...

User Info Menu

speedkey and regular. Worth an extra two or three dollars.

Don't waste time n money with cheap pot metal keys.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Ive got the key that came with my kit, one that was given to me by a good friend, and 3 or 4 from the local drumshop that were given to me. I go in to try a kit and ask for a key to tune it a bit and when I go to give the key back they tell me to keep it lol.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drumsetsnide View Post
    Ratchet key.
    I have maybe 10 drum keys; I don't know where they all came from.

I do like the ratchet key but in some circumstances (tom stands, cymbal stands, other hardware) I have stripped out screws/threads.

The ratchet key can sometimes provide more leverage than required so you have to be careful.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)