Thread: Zildjian GEN-16 Electric Cymbals???

User Info Menu

Default Zildjian GEN-16 Electric Cymbals???

Anyone see/heard/played the new Zildjian Acoustic Electric cymbals?

I certainly like the concept, but without actually hearing them I just don't know. And I also don't know if their cymbal controller will integrated fully to my system.

Anyone had any experience with these?

Thanks . . . Stu

User Info Menu

Default Re: Zildjian GEN-16 Electric Cymbals???

I have a set, and I really like them. I don't LOVE them, but they do the job. I have a Roland set with three silver Roland cymbals: on the far right (crash), right middle (ride), and far left (crash). I've got three Gen16's at high hat (middle w/ a Pearl Eliminator remote), and two crashes on either side of the hats. I don't use the Gen16 as a ride - it doesn't pull it off for me, especially the bell.
    The Roland crashes and ride sound better - everyone knows they sound perfect though so it's tough for a hybrid to compete there. The latest batch of sounds from Zildjian (free update) are great, and these add a distinct sound to compliment my Rolands. The The hats, however, are AMAZING. The hats are worth the price of admission. They're perfect. No rubber set of hats can compete with the real thing. And the look - man, the Gen16's are drop dead gorgeous. Of course sound is the most important thing - but man you think you've died and gone to heaven when you turn those lights on. Charlize Theron's got nothin' on these cymbals. Drop dead gorgeous.
    So to wrap it all up in a sentence - the beautiful Gen16 cymbals are decent crashes, terrible rides, and perfect hi-hats. Are they worth the money? Have you seen the price of the best digital hats money can buy? These are cheaper than that and they are much better. My 2cents.

User Info Menu

Ive played them, its a really cool feeling as far as hihat because its mesh and theres almost no resistance and also the full size ride/crash is loud enough to hear yourself play but almost silent at the same time haha. Anyway its 800+ though and you cant just buy the cymals and out plug them into a existing brain on your kit, it has to be the gen16 one (atleast what ive read of it and seen).
    Yamaha DTX 520k
    Tama Iron Cobra Jr.

User Info Menu

The feel and sound great.....all kinds of cymbal patches in the brain. (Not sure....I think it's supposed to be Zildjians entire catalogue).

They look great lit up...

I'm curious as to how durable they'd be over time.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Either all the youtube videos I have seen of these sound bad or maybe I am the only one who thinks they sound wrong. The hats wern't so bad, but the crash and ride sound tinny to me.

User Info Menu

To me they are new to the market and I am sure that Zildjian will work out the flaws if any to satisfy everyone. I find them kind of pricey though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    Either all the youtube videos I have seen of these sound bad or maybe I am the only one who thinks they sound wrong. The hats wern't so bad, but the crash and ride sound tinny to me.
    I played them at the store with headphones on and as they were coming through an amp. They sounded good...(I thought).

I would definitely only use them WITH an E Kit though.....so that being said, what's the point ...ya know?

I think that's Zildjians biggest "Doh!" when it comes to this product....and I'd be surprised if it sells.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

the ringyness or tinnyness can be dried out with gaff tape or the cymbal mutes that come with the pack.
    DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth, Remo
    http://www.reverbnation.com/jonpnorris

User Info Menu

I've only played the crash and the hats, acoustically but not electrically. No rides. Sounded really really good! Personally, they're definitely on my wish list.
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex

hobbes1 Guest

there are pro's and con's to them for sure.
    personally, i didn't care for them when i tried them. too much cost to be justifiable for me.