Thread: Gravity roll without using the rim

Shazane Guest

Default Gravity roll without using the rim

I understand this is possible by doing something with your hand, but I cant find a good video of the technique.

User Info Menu

Are you talking about the Moeller wrist technique by any chance Shazane?

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

Shazane Guest

I don't know what it's called, but what is that technique?

User Info Menu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aD1g3oONhXg

Tony Royster Jr teaches you to play.

User Info Menu

thats GREAT! i have a question though, when hes going super fast, is he doing 3 hits per hand?

User Info Menu

Shazane Guest

I think its the second one, but the audio was so bad on that video I couldn't figure it out.

User Info Menu

yeah theres some better ones on you tube

User Info Menu

I think if you learned a one handed buzz press and got it down well enough, you could use your left hand to control accents and make cool beats. I've seen some Dave Weckl videos explaining the technique, I think it's the Moeller technique.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

I saw that dvd... Thats the one Tony Royster is promotin in concert this week in perth :> I wish i could go *starts crying*
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

28th and 29th here in Melbourne. I'm going to see him in fact. But I'm actually going to see Derek Roddy (sp?).

User Info Menu

Gravity is different technique to moeller and different again to push-pull. If you didn't use the rim, I don't think it would technically be a gravity blast then shazane. Push pull is probably closest technique wise, but again it is still different. Push pull uses the idea of "pushing" or dropping the stick with your hand, then getting a secondary hit by "pulling" back on your fingers aginst the butt of the stick (sending the tip back downward)

Gravity uses the rim to drop the butt of the stick after the inital strike, so you've hit and you elt your hand continue donward past the rim of the snare, resting the stick on the rim as a balancing point. You then bring your wrist back up, allowing the pivot on the rim to bring the tip back down to the snare again. Here is a good video for those curious about the technique - it's in swedish (i think) but you can still figure it out from what he is showing you.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2Z7eksx4ck

Here is a solo using gravity blasting - freakin brilliant
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XLXM...related&search=

I think it's just a matter of practise though shazane - the better you get the less you use the rim, so the sticks are barely touching it - guys like this, you can't even tell, they just seem really really really fast.

As the Tony Royster video shows, the moeller (or moller) uses a whipping motion to triple strike from one movement - highly efficient, but doesn't allow for the single hand speed of gravity - same issue I think for push/pull - they are usually good for two hand rolls, or little double strokes for a beat - not so much continued single hand speed, which is what the gravity is designed to do.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

Shazane Guest

I know how to gravity roll, I just heard of a different one handed roll that didnt require a rim so I thought I could use it to hit 32nd notes on the ride or something like that.

User Info Menu

here ya go bro, it goes thru moeller to the jo jo mayer and budy rich one hand rolls.

Shazane Guest

There's no link...

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

i think the 2nd one is what you want. about 5 or 6 min. in

Shazane Guest

that's a great technique! and a better explanation of it than I've seen, it was very helpful

User Info Menu

Derrick Pope is great I reckon - I've watched a couple of his videos before and I've seen this one, really good IMO -he does some of the best instructional videos around. He used to do drumline apparently, and there is a video of his where he teaches stick tricks that are just great that he learnt while doing drumline.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crazymanwithaplunger View Post
    Derrick Pope is great I reckon - I've watched a couple of his videos before and I've seen this one, really good IMO -he does some of the best instructional videos around. He used to do drumline apparently, and there is a video of his where he teaches stick tricks that are just great that he learnt while doing drumline.
    i agree. i dont care much for his band, but he seems like a cool dude and his videos are informative and useful. plus he plays c&c custom drums made in kansas city.

User Info Menu

Derrick Pope is a really good teacher. When I was trying to learn how to heel-toe, I watched almost every video around and couldn't work out what they were doing. I watched one by Derrick Pope and it was almost instantaneous. I learnt how to do it.

Thanks for the Video Funky.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hellsbells58 View Post
    Derrick Pope is a really good teacher. When I was trying to learn how to heel-toe, I watched almost every video around and couldn't work out what they were doing. I watched one by Derrick Pope and it was almost instantaneous. I learnt how to do it.

Thanks for the Video Funky.

HB58
    same here