Thread: Gene Hoglan

User Info Menu

Default Gene Hoglan

Drummer: Gene Hoglan
    Main Style: Metal
    Main Band(s): Currently Testament and Dethklok, ex-Strapping Young Lad, Fear Factory, Death, Devin Townsend, Dark Angel
    Brief Summary: Gene Hoglan started learning the drums at age 13 and is completely self-taught. He is one of the most respected drummers in the metal scene. He is known for his accuracy, speed, and creativity as well as technical prowess, and for wearing ankle weights over his Doc Martens.

Famous Drummers - Gene Hoglan
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Default Re: Gene Hoglan

The new Testament album is AWESOME!!!
    Saw Gene with Testament last winter. He made a few mistakes but was overall pretty much on it. He also filled in for Charlie Benante who didn't show for Anthrax. He made several mistakes there too but hey! It's not his band and he doesn't play their stuff on a regular basis so kudos to Gene for the great job.

User Info Menu

I bought his Atomic Clock DVD. Some really awesome stuff on there, and some great tips on playing like him. This guy freaking rocks. Lol

User Info Menu

we can learn a lot of Gene..

iv been stealing hes material since the 90's..

what a legend

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stuperprohero View Post
    The new Testament album is AWESOME!!!
    Saw Gene with Testament last winter. He made a few mistakes but was overall pretty much on it. He also filled in for Charlie Benante who didn't show for Anthrax. He made several mistakes there too but hey! It's not his band and he doesn't play their stuff on a regular basis so kudos to Gene for the great job.
    What's up with Charlie? I know Jason Bitner from Shadows Fall just played drums for Anthrax during the Mayhem Fest.

User Info Menu

Wow for a big guy he sure is awesome with the double bass drums. Had never heard of him before but now he got me curious to find out more on him. Great drummer.

User Info Menu

Is he wearing ankle weights in that video?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    Is he wearing ankle weights in that video?
    Yes, he has those on almost all of the time as I understand it. He keeps them on during his slower stuff, so on the songs he has to really fly on for extended periods of time, he can take them off and play them with ease.

I'm gonna start trying this out here soon at my bands practices.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    What's up with Charlie? I know Jason Bitner from Shadows Fall just played drums for Anthrax during the Mayhem Fest.
    Not sure what's up with that Marko. Scotty Ian wasn't there either which is who I really wanted to see with Charlie! Lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stuperprohero View Post
    Not sure what's up with that Marko. Scotty Ian wasn't there either which is who I really wanted to see with Charlie! Lol
    Hmm. They just did another Metal Masters show yesterday and I know Scott and Charlie both played. So maybe Charlie just couldn't do the last tour for whatever reason.

User Info Menu

Just found this video with Gene on it. WOW!!!!

User Info Menu

I got the privilege to meet and play a show with Fear Factory and Gene Hoglan. The man is mind blowing...such a big guy yet he just tears that drumset apart!!

User Info Menu

Wow awesome style. I like the open playing style and the ride on the left as well as the right. very cool.
    Conrad

User Info Menu

Gene Hoglan actually use to be the drum tech for Slayer. The fact that Gene Hoglan taught Dave Lombardo how to do blast beats and play faster kick drums is something.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TonyFreeDrum View Post
    Gene Hoglan actually use to be the drum tech for Slayer. The fact that Gene Hoglan taught Dave Lombardo how to do blast beats and play faster kick drums is something.
    Never knew any of this! Interesting (and not surprising) information. Gene is so crisp in his playing. For a big dude he can seriously haul on the drums. His drum performance on FF's "Mechanize" is very impressive.