Thread: Johnny Morgan

User Info Menu

Default Johnny Morgan

John Morgan is the drummer and one of the founding members of the English politically-charged rap/rock outfit Senser, one of my all time favourite drummers for feel, simplicity and groove.

Senser's sound was characterised by heavy guitars underneath often rapid, rapped lyrics which were concerned with a range of political issues from a left wing perspective, including gang violence, corporate abuse of power, mass surveillance and republicanism.

Swooping female vocals and turntable scratching also contributed to the overall sound. Because of the political nature of their music, Senser were often compared to similarly political bands such as Rage Against The Machine, Skunk Anansie, Chumbawamba and The Levellers.

In 1993 they had singles at the top of the UK indie charts: Eject and The Key, in March 1994 their single Switch entered at number 39. In May 1994, they released their debut album Stacked Up which got to number 4 in the UK album charts.

In 1995, Senser split while on tour with Moby and John (along with other members formed Lodestar) but got back together in 1999 and are still touring 3 albums later.

John's style is tight with an abundance of funk and metal thrown into a heady mix from Senser's DJ Andrew Clinton.

Some videos:
    Johnny in the Studio playing States Of Mind over a drum-less backing tape (from the album Stacked Up)

Johnny in the studio for XFM radio in the UK playing 2,3,Clear to a drum-less backing tape (from the album How To Do Battle)

Johnny in the studio playing to a drum-less backing tape of Witch Village (from the album To The Capsules)

User Info Menu

Default Re: Johnny Morgan

It's a bit insulting that people haven't actually looked at this guy's profile.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hellwyck View Post
    ???? Seriously?

User Info Menu

^^^^

I look at a lot of the drummers that have been around for a while, and others that are just coming up.

Most are average to good drummers that happen to be in a "name" band.

That, by itself, doesn't make them interesting.

User Info Menu

Seems to me that at this point, there have been 54 views of this thread. What the h*ll are you talking about?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    ^^^^

I look at a lot of the drummers that have been around for a while, and others that are just coming up.

Most are average to good drummers that happen to be in a "name" band.

That, by itself, doesn't make them interesting.
    I put him up there because he plays stuff that doesn't get a lot of exposure on this forum, he's not a jazz drummer or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    ???? Seriously?
    Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Seems to me that at this point, there have been 54 views of this thread. What the h*ll are you talking about?
    My PC isn't letting me see the "viewed" count so I wasn't aware but to me, I thought it was a bit sad (not insulting) that major rock drummers would get comments yet someone like John got seemingly overlooked.
    That's all. I wasn't attacking anyone, just airing my thoughts.

User Info Menu

Hey I did get to hear of Senser quite a while back. Having read English music mags (UK Rhythm mag, for eg) and cousins from the UK who told me of The Levellers, Jah Wobble's Invaders Of The Heart, Ozric Tentacles, Fun-Da-Mental and so on, I got to hear a little bit of Senser's stuff. Johnny's a good drummer. Thanks for putting more videos of him up.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

I put him up there because he plays stuff that doesn't get a lot of exposure on this forum, he's not a jazz drummer or whatever.

My PC isn't letting me see the "viewed" count so I wasn't aware but to me, I thought it was a bit sad (not insulting) that major rock drummers would get comments yet someone like John got seemingly overlooked.
    That's all. I wasn't attacking anyone, just airing my thoughts.

The sad thing is that there are a ton of really good to great drummers/musicians out there that don't get a dimes worth of recognition.

For every 1 of the "great" drummers that we all know about, there are a lot of unknowns out there that could blow their doors off. I know that for a fact because I've seen too many of them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    The sad thing is that there are a ton of really good to great drummers/musicians out there that don't get a dimes worth of recognition.

For every 1 of the "great" drummers that we all know about, there are a lot of unknowns out there that could blow their doors off. I know that for a fact because I've seen too many of them.
    This is true in any discipline.