Thread: 10" Snare

User Info Menu

Default 10" Snare

I use a PDP 805 6" X 10" "Side Snare" as my only snare.

I think it sounds great. It has a nice fast response, is high pitched, cracks high, and when playing ghost notes, regular notes and accented notes you can really tell the difference. It has everything I've always wanted in a snare that I never got from my 14" Ludwig I've had since 5th grade.

Does anyone else use a 10" snare exclusively as their only snare?

I know all drummers say "If your ears like it, then you should play it", but I was wondering about live settings and putting a microphone on a drum like this that is on the smaller side? It should be louder than a 14" snare I would think.
    DW Collectors
    Twisted Blue Oyster
    Toms: 8x10, 8x12, 12x14, 14x16 [Evans G2 Coated/Evans Clear Genera Resonant/G1]
    Kick: 18x20 [Evans EMAD2 White/EQ3 Coated White + Kickport]
    Pure Maple Standard Shells
    Chrome Hardware

Snare: 6x13 DW Edge Snare - Tiger Oyster - Chrome Hardware
    Aux: 5x12 Pork Pie Little Squealer
    RotoToms: 6 - 8 - 10 - Remo Pinstripe Clear
    Evans & Remo Heads

Cymbals
    Zildjian A Custom
    Zildjian A Series
    Zildjian EFX
    Zildjian K & K Custom
    Sabian Paragon

User Info Menu

Default Re: 10" Snare

I don't use one but I've played on a friends kit who used a 10x8 for a main snare. I thought it sounded pretty sweet, my only beef with it was that I kept missing it lol. Tis' a little bit smaller target than I'm used to
    Dw | Zildjian | Pro-Mark | Evans

User Info Menu

Nope, I'd only use my 10" as a side snare. If I want that poppy high pitched sound I'll yank out my 12". It just has more body and ability to cut than any 10" I've played. The 10" might sound louder than a 14" up close, but it won't project. You'd have to be micing that thing live all the time.

Just my 2 cents, maybe I'm just drinking 10" haterade :P

The only two constants I have are DW and Zildjian.

User Info Menu

That'd be hard to get used to. Maybe for a recording I might try it, but I think I'd only use one as a side snare.

You just reminded me; I want one.
    C&C ll Rogers ll Ludwig ll Slingerland

Istanbul Agop 16" Signature Hats ll 15" 30th Anniversary Hats
    Istanbul Agop 22" Special Edition Jazz Ride ll 22" Trash Hit
    Istanbul Agop 24" Turk Jazz Ride

DW 6000/9000 Hardware ll Aquarian Drumheads ll Roland SPD-SX ll Ableton Live 9

User Info Menu

I don't use a 10" snare, but I recently saw a local band whose drummer played a really small snare, maybe 10" or 12". It was at a block party and the snare projected well with no mic. Sounded great!
    Matt

User Info Menu

I took both my Tama 13x5.5" Maple Starclassic and Tama Nickelworks 12x4" snares to a jam a little while ago and found that whilst both snares sounded good, when I placed the Nickelworks one in place (I only brought the one snare stand), it really did cut through a loud band just that tiny bit more. The Starclassic is my main 'go-to' snare though.

As an aside, I also have a custom made 8x6" acrylic snare that I often use as an auxillary snare clamped off to the left of my hi-hat. This is what it looks like:

Last edited by Drumbledore; 08-01-2012 at 02:18 AM.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

I think it would be way to hard to get a cross stick sound off a snare that small. (13 is as small as I go) Outside of that, I bet it sounds really cool.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    I think it would be way to hard to get a cross stick sound off a snare that small. (13 is as small as I go) Outside of that, I bet it sounds really cool.

all the best...
    It actually may work better though. You wouldn't need to flip your stick to hit the rim with the thick part of the stick.