Thread: Double bass pedal vs. two bass drums

User Info Menu

Question Double bass pedal vs. two bass drums

My band wants to play a song with double pedal in it but the problem is i don't have the money to buy one cause I'm getting new tom heads. So I was wondering which way would be better, to use my bass drum along with the other one, or invest in a double pedal.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Double bass pedal vs. two bass drums

Two bass drums = 2 single pedals or 1 bass drum= 1 double pedal if that makes any sense. Cause I don't think you can use a double pedal on 2 bass drum.

User Info Menu

You can use a double pedal on two kick drums, but you have to ind the right year of iron cobra pedal. They made it for a few years where you can take it apart and make two singles out of a double.

If you are only going to use double bass in one song then their is no point in getting two kick drums, because ultimately it equals more money spent.

Every time you buy new heads you have to double it, and so on.
    2 single kick pedals also cost just a tad more then the double pedal of the exact pedal.

If you were going to use it more i would say go with two kick drums. I use two, but also use them in almost every song we play.
    Life, like drumming, is only as good as you make it.

User Info Menu

You could also cheat, and do doubles between a muffled floor tom and your kick drum. Require's a bit of practice to get the feel down, but, it's a way cool effect.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Since setting up my 2 kick setup, I've noticed a definite difference in feel on using 2 kick drums vs double pedals. It's easier to lug around the single kick with a double pedal, but I think it's a better feel with 2 kicks.

The only two constants I have are DW and Zildjian.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drumm3rboy View Post
    My band wants to play a song with double pedal in it but the problem is i don't have the money to buy one cause I'm getting new tom heads. So I was wondering which way would be better, to use my bass drum along with the other one, or invest in a double pedal.
    I think your statement states that you already have a second bass drum, is this correct? "to use my bass drum along with the other one," In that case, a second single pedal would be a no brainer. Why would you need a double bass pedal if you already have a second bass drum, right? If you wrote that wrong, and you don't have a second bass drum, then a double pedal set-up is much easier lugging around than 2 bass drums would be. If you are being told that you need to incorporate a double pedal situation in a song, and it goes well, chances are that there will be more songs later on, right? By the way, welcome to Drum Chat.
    Last edited by wolvie56; 08-09-2012 at 09:50 PM. Reason: added welcome
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

It always is a bit of an adjustment from playing one kind of set up going to another. I've done and enjoyed and still continue to enjoy teaching and playing double bass patterns. However, once you start gigging a lot, you'll eventually realise it's a little more practical having a double pedal rather than keeping on carting another drum. Unless you're going for two different sized and differently tuned bass drums, then that's another beast unto itself.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

If double-kick isn't something you do often, buy a used dbl-pedal. Don't spend a fortune on something you don't plan to use all that often.

If you find that over time you enjoy playing that way, you can always sell it and upgrade to a better dbl-pedal or two bass drum pedals.
    DW Performance Series
    Peavey Radial Pro RBS-1
    Roland TDW-20

Gibraltar rack system
    Sabian AA/AAX/HHX/Vault
    Tama pedals

User Info Menu

The biggest reason I switched from two kicks to a double pedal was tuning and size.....much easier to gig with one kick drum......used to take me quite awhile to tune both kicks identical.

User Info Menu

Like most have stated that if you have that extra bass drum and you are going to use it alot then get another single pedal if not the stay with the single bass and get a double pedal that easy.

User Info Menu

If you're going for visual effect with certain genres of music, double kicks just look cool, and if you're young and full of spunk, you don't mind making that extra trip loading and tearing down to lug that second kick around.

When you get to be an old lazy turd like myself, you switch to a double pedal and an 18" kick drum!
    And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Double bass pedal vs. two bass drums

Quote Originally Posted by =^-..-^= View Post
    If you're going for visual effect with certain genres of music, double kicks just look cool, and if you're young and full of spunk, you don't mind making that extra trip loading and tearing down to lug that second kick around.

When you get to be an old lazy turd like myself, you switch to a double pedal and an 18" kick drum!
    I agree 100% with you man cause I am an old turd too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    ......used to take me quite awhile to tune both kicks identical.
    I promise you in the 70s and 80s it was much more difficult.............today's bass heads make this chore better.............still not easy.............just easier.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I prefer the double pedal. I'm not good enough to tell a difference in feel between the main pedal and the slave. I'm not into lugging a ton of gear either. So 2 kick drums is out of the question for me.

You gotta decide what's right for you and your wallet.

User Info Menu

If you are not using double kick very often, go with the double pedal. If you will be using it a lot go with two kick drums. Two kicks feels better, sounds better and looks better.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    Two kicks feels better, sounds better and looks better.
    What he said.................
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

There is no substitute for the audience-wow-factor you get with setting up a second bass drum. With that said, it takes up a ton of room on stage and in your vehicle. Another bass is another bass drum to tune and put heads on, and it's sure not going to save you any time setting up. You also need another MICROPHONE and another mixer channel.

Another important thing to some people is, if your band plays any gigs where backline is provided (festival, opening for nationals, etc.) you are probably not going to get two bass drums. The production company will see your rider and go, "hrm, this opener wants a second bass drum. Oh, well, they're just an opener, they can do without it."

You can buy almost any double bass pedal you want for the cost of one pretty good bass drum.

My $0.02 is, since you are budget-conscious, keep an eye on your local Craigslist for a double pedal that you like. DW5002s are on my local one for a couple hundred bucks all the time.

If you want the look / wow-factor, that's great, but you need to be prepared to play on single bass kits w/ double pedal anyway. :/
    DWPS 7pc

User Info Menu

I don't think the audience realy cares if you have double bass drums or not. Most drummers would but not the average person. I think it is more of preference than a necessiti IMO ,so go for what ever reason you have for a double or two single. Good luck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I don't think the audience realy cares if you have double bass drums or not. Most drummers would but not the average person. I think it is more of preference than a necessiti IMO ,so go for what ever reason you have for a double or two single. Good luck
    You're absolutely right. Other drummers are the ONLY people who care what gear the drummer is using.

User Info Menu

Thanks Marko