Thread: First Drum Lesson today

User Info Menu

Default First Drum Lesson today

Hello again Drum Chatters,

Today I begin my first drum lesson. I'm filled with both excitement and nervousness. I found a well respected teacher in the area and they are 45 minute lessons. I have no idea what to expect so I'm going in as a blank slate. At 38 yrs old, I figure I'm too old to be too nervous or try to show off for the instructor like I know what I'm doing. I'm going to try and be like a sponge and absorb everything.

I just wanted to share my excitement with you all and I'll follow up and let you know how it all went. All I have to my name is a practice pad and a pair of sticks but, hey, ya gotta start somewhere.

User Info Menu

Default Re: First Lesson today

That's a great way to start drumming. Just keep in mind the main point in lessons is to point on your faults and fix them. After over two and a half years of lessons I still feel like a beginner sometimes. Depending on how your teacher goes about things the first month or so may also be very discouraging. There is sort of a big wall you need to get over to really start growing, that's where most kids quit and sell their kits.

User Info Menu

Good luck Scott! Learning is fun, especially when it comes to drums and drumming!

User Info Menu

Scott - If the teacher is a well respected teacher like you stated, you've nothing to be worried about. Go, have fun and learn. You'll do great!

User Info Menu

Congrats man and hope you have fun learning from a teacher. I am basically self thaught and wish I could of been able to afford a teacher when I was younger. Oh well anyway good luck to you buddy. Let us know how it goes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Aviator42009 View Post
    That's a great way to start drumming. Just keep in mind the main point in lessons is to point on your faults and fix them. After over two and a half years of lessons I still feel like a beginner sometimes. Depending on how your teacher goes about things the first month or so may also be very discouraging. There is sort of a big wall you need to get over to really start growing, that's where most kids quit and sell their kits.
    Yeah but he is not realy a kid so don't discourage him man.

User Info Menu

I'm a kid at heart if that counts. But, seriously, thanks all for the words of encouragement. It'll be very fun, I'm looking forward to it.

User Info Menu

Aww, man. That's great. Have a great time and enjoy yourself.

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: First Lesson today

Quote Originally Posted by Scottify View Post
    I'm a kid at heart if that counts. But, seriously, thanks all for the words of encouragement. It'll be very fun, I'm looking forward to it.
    We are all kids at heart man I am 61 and I don't realy feel it cause I have all the toys I need and that is what makes me young like a teenager in a way but not realy. Anyway enjoy yourself man.

User Info Menu

I started taking lessons in October on just a practice pad. Did it that way until the end of the year. It was good for learning stick control and working on the rudiments.

Then when I knew I wanted to keep going I bought an electronic kit, (was in an apartment so acoustic was out of the question). Really taking it serious now so I moved into a house and will have my new "real" kit in a couple weeks.

I'm glad I did it this way. I didn't put out too much money before I was ready. Also, starting a pad was a lot less intimidating then having a full kit in front of me and not knowing how it was all going to come together.

Like the others said, relax and have a great time at your lesson! Be sure to come back and let us know how it goes.
    Rocka Rolla Woman

Mapex Black Raven
    14" Zildjian New Beat Hi Hats
    Zildjian 16" Fast Crash
    17" Zildjian A Custom Crash
    21" Zildjian A Sweet Ride

User Info Menu

Have a good lesson!
    Are all drummers "kids?" If you feel like an old man/person on the drums it's time to quit, I think.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Default Re: First Drum Lesson today

Recently back from my lesson. It was so much fun, 45 mins felt like 15. We started at grips. He teaches three types but we began with Match. Started by teaching me to read staff for drums and counting. His big things were counting out loud, tapping my foot on the down beats, alternating strokes and varying the tempo.

All in all I had a blast. I feel like I learned a lot and can't wait to continue on.

User Info Menu

Very cool that you enjoyed your first lesson so much Scottify. Enjoy the journey!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Scottify View Post
    Recently back from my lesson. It was so much fun, 45 mins felt like 15. We started at grips. He teaches three types but we began with Match. Started by teaching me to read staff for drums and counting. His big things were counting out loud, tapping my foot on the down beats, alternating strokes and varying the tempo.

All in all I had a blast. I feel like I learned a lot and can't wait to continue on.
    that is awesome man .. I started at 39 sounds like good solid starting points .. I never did any foot tapping when I first started and pay for it now .. my feets are just much slower to learn things .. great to hear you had a great time .. keep us informed and keep having fun.
    We Have nothing to fear but Reefs and Pirates

I tried taking life seriously, didn't much like it so now what I take seriously is living

User Info Menu

"This is a quarter note.............there are four per measure.........."
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)