Thread: Show Us Your Drums!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Show Us Your Drums!

Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post
    The ultimate finish for stage lights!
    Wow!!! Digging the chrome!!

User Info Menu

So I got bored and decided to change things up a bit. I thought I had some creative juices flowing but for some reason, I kinda didn't like my creation. I feel the overall vibe wasn't "me" but I just wanted to ask your opinion especially on the side by side upside down crash cymbal mounting.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GuiCeeAddict View Post
    So I got bored and decided to change things up a bit. I thought I had some creative juices flowing but for some reason, I kinda didn't like my creation. I feel the overall vibe wasn't "me" but I just wanted to ask your opinion especially on the side by side upside down crash cymbal mounting.

Very beautiful kit! I'm immediately reminded of Mike Mangini's kit. The upside down mounting is something I'm seeing more and more of. Very nice!
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

thankyou FBN! I'll try to post different angles a little later.

User Info Menu

Yep. First thought, Mike Mangini. I like the way it's easier to get cymbals flatter and lower by inverting the tilters. Great looking set up!! Can't go wrong with Yamaha SCB (?)
    MAPEX - SABIAN - PEARL - VIC FIRTH

User Info Menu

Thanks! I just a bit of a challenge to get the cymbal angle to behave coz the weight combined with the less than perfect felts.

User Info Menu

Very clean and tidy set up. I appreciate the inverted cymbals and how you utilized the Gibraltar rack tubes and the inverted boom arm for the cowbell is very cool.

User Info Menu

I've seen wing nuts loosen themselves upwards so why couldn't they loosen themselves downwards and come off?

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    I've seen wing nuts loosen themselves upwards so why couldn't they loosen themselves downwards and come off?

all the best...
    You're right. They wing nuts are prone to falling off when inverted. Some who go this route use various locking wing nuts. Vater has their "Slick Nut" that uses an hex screw to lock in the nut. Marketing angle on the hex screw lock is that your cymbals won't get ripped off of your stands but the quick release of the Vater Slick Nut seem pretty convenient if you feel turning a wing nut a few turns takes too long lol.

Pearl designed a plastic wing nut that locks down. I'm going to assume Mangini uses these for his inverted cymbals since he endorses Pearl?

Or you can go down to your local hardware store and match the NTP (National Thread Pitch) of your cymbal stand threads and buy a nut with a built in lock washer and save a few dollars?

User Info Menu

Despite being a strong traditionalist (read: old fogey!), I've always thought that the bottoms-up boom cymbal stand arrangement looks kinda cool. And preventing the cymbal wingnuts from loosening is quite easy - use the plastic cymbal seats with extended necks and tighten the wingnuts down solidly. I never had one loosen.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    Despite being a strong traditionalist (read: old fogey!), I've always thought that the bottoms-up boom cymbal stand arrangement looks kinda cool. And preventing the cymbal wingnuts from loosening is quite easy - use the plastic cymbal seats with extended necks and tighten the wingnuts down solidly. I never had one loosen.

GeeDeeEmm
    That's a great idea GeeDeeEmm! I have a few tall plastic cymbal seats that will allow only a few turns down on the threads since the sleeve is so tall. Cranking down on the extended plastic stem with the wing nut not only locks it down but it will also prevent you from over tightening the nut at the bell ensuring the cymbal has plenty of play.

Off topic:

And by the way...thanks for the advice you gave recently in another thread on phase inverting mics. My songwriting partner and I went through our entire original music catalog we've been accumlating over the passed three years and are now in the process of re-mixing the entire album. Thanks to your quick advice, my drums are now starting to sound in phase.

User Info Menu

Here's a few more pics:

and oh here was my solution to the wingnut slippage"

User Info Menu

Love this kit. Especially the variety of metallic targets!
    What is that thing you are using on your cymbal stand? I can't figure out how it attaches.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

Sorry, which one? on the rack or the last pic? If youre referring to the matte metal thing holding two upright tubes, those are Yamaha spring loaded clamps or holders. If its the last pic, its just a Gibraltar swing nut.

User Info Menu

Here's a few more pics:

and oh here was my solution to the wingnut slippage"
    I love that setup especially the little bell/splash arrangement

User Info Menu

Thanks! those are old cymbals I had a metalsmith cut down.

User Info Menu

Thanks! those are old cymbals I had a metalsmith cut down.
    Your kit is a "work of art". I can stare at it all day long. Thanks for sharing more pics and the solution to the wing nut slippage. Do you have a birdseye view of the kit? I'm sure many of us here would love to see it (especially me).

User Info Menu

I have those VATER quick nuts and for the most part they are great. . . but the little hex screw tends to come loose or go in to tight and then you can't get them on and off without taking out an allen and readjusting it. So I used red Loctite and that works as a fix.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Your kit is a "work of art". I can stare at it all day long.
    I agree...................it really is beautiful.
    I'm glad I don't have to set it up.
    Look kay-gee, more cymbals than I've got !
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Gee thanks everyone! This kit is a labor of love though. All the intricate measurements, bubble levelling and testing angles and all...

I'll get a ladder to snap a bird's eyeview in a bit.

User Info Menu

Thanks. That pic birdseye may become be the wallpaper for my desk top

User Info Menu

Thanks. That birdseye pic may be the wallpaper for my desk top

User Info Menu

Oh i'd be totally honored!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Off topic:

And by the way...thanks for the advice you gave recently in another thread on phase inverting mics. My songwriting partner and I went through our entire original music catalog we've been accumlating over the passed three years and are now in the process of re-mixing the entire album. Thanks to your quick advice, my drums are now starting to sound in phase.
    Darn, that makes me feel really good! Thanks for telling me.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Here's some more pics. I was able to "stabilize" the angle of the crashes despite the felts by inverting the plastic sleeve as well.

And the bird's eye view (which I'll also post in the driver's thread):

Hope you liked 'em.