Thread: Starcaster Fender Drum kit.

User Info Menu

Default Starcaster Fender Drum kit.

Hey guys, this is my first review, so don't be too critical, but please give me feedback and stuff.

The kit I will be reviewing is the starcaster by fender drum kit. This kit is part of a series of instruments released by fender marketed towards beginners and students. I received this as my first drum kit, bought from COSTCO and given to me at christmas. The set is 250 dollars overall. The kit is an entry level drum kit, so it comes with cymbals, hardware and the shells themselves.

1. The hardware.

The hardware is actually very good for a kit of the price, as it is durable and double braced.. The drum throne is comfortable, adjustable, but does not secure well, so it creaks and rocks back and forth an inch or two. Not a problem for myself, as I stay in in generally one position while drumming, but could be a problem if you move alot, while drumming ( I know some people who rock back and forth and weird stuff like that.)The Tom arms hold up nicely, but the do penetrate the toms and the bass drum.This is a massive problem with the sound. It deadens the toms and allows NO resonance. The snare stand is also double braced, but is too tall for it to be effective. It might be recomended, unless you are EXTREMELY tall to switch out the stand. The cymbals stands are good, durable, except the clutch on the hi hats is really weird. The pedal is actually quite good. You can adjust it to work quite nicely. 2/5 Usable, but weird and the snare stand requires to be replaced.

2. The cymbals. Classic Stock cymbals. comes with 14 inch hi hats, and a 16 inch crash. These are stamped brass, and they are pretty bad. Very thin too, and the hi hats and crashes get dented and warped easily. 1/5 A sharp pot lid sound. Could work as effect cymbals if you cut em up and used a hammer and a hacksaw and pliers.

3. The actual Drums. they supply a 14 X 5 snare drum, a 22 by 16 bass drum, a 12 by 10 tom, a 13X 10 tom and a 16 by 14 or something floor tom all made out of and I quote " Select Hardwood" whatever the hell that means. They, as always, sound okayish with the proper tuning, but actually sound good with new heads ( remo coated ambassadors). The snare drum isn't the worst, if you tune it up really tight it's passable. but I swapped mine out with a CB snare. The bass drum sounds great if you muffle it. ( Duct tape!!!!! and wool pants) it used to have a bad BOOM sound, which sounded terrible. The two toms are very similar in sizes, so it requires to tune one alot lower than the other. they when tuned high with the right heads, give out a really nice sound warm sound. The floor toms are the same as the tom toms, except I feel that it doesn't have the right sound that it should have. it's probably just me though. 3/5 It sounds good for the price with new heads, but the bass and snare are not up to par.

Head on down to costco to buy your starcaster fender. JK. Spend your money on a better kit, like a pearl forum or a Gretsch whatever.
    I would give the whole set a 2/5 Give me feedback, it was a really quick review, it wasn't written well, ask questions and stuff. YEAH

By the way, the scoring template was 5 being the best beginner kit and 1 being the worst. if that makes sense. Pics are coming.
    Last edited by imnotverygood9; 12-28-2012 at 08:55 PM. Reason: New Experiences with the kit, the tom mounts are terrible.
    6 Piece Pearl Masters Custom Extra Maple
    14x5.5 Snare
    10x8 Tom
    12x9 Tom
    14x12 Floor Tom
    15x13 Floor Tom
    22x16 Bass Drum

Miscellaneous Hardware
    14 inch Zildjian Quick Beats
    16 inch Istanbul Xist Crash
    20 inch Meinl HCS ride.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Starcaster Fender Drum kit.

Great review, helped me understand the line a bit more - and i've been curious about them since seeing them here and there. Judging by your final overall score, it sounds like you see it as sort of a balanced kit - isn't horrible but isn't amazing in any respects but does an okay job at everything?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Great review, helped me understand the line a bit more - and i've been curious about them since seeing them here and there. Judging by your final overall score, it sounds like you see it as sort of a balanced kit - isn't horrible but isn't amazing in any respects but does an okay job at everything?
    Thanks alot for the feedback. It is definitely a great kit for the price, but it does fail in some regards. I used to absolutely hate the kit before I learned to tune and bought new heads.
    14x5.5 Snare
    10x8 Tom
    12x9 Tom
    14x12 Floor Tom
    15x13 Floor Tom
    22x16 Bass Drum

Miscellaneous Hardware
    20 inch Meinl HCS ride.

User Info Menu

Have you tried spreading the feet on the snare stand as much as possible and then tilting the drum toward you if needed? That might salvage the stand. Good review.

User Info Menu

Yes great review and I also learned today another drum company that I nevr heard of before.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by areFish View Post
    Have you tried spreading the feet on the snare stand as much as possible and then tilting the drum toward you if needed? That might salvage the stand. Good review.
    Yeah actually. I've done everything I can, I even dismantled it and everything and it didn't work. Even with doing all of that it sttill barely works as a tom stand. ( I have made it work though)
    14x5.5 Snare
    10x8 Tom
    12x9 Tom
    14x12 Floor Tom
    15x13 Floor Tom
    22x16 Bass Drum

Miscellaneous Hardware
    20 inch Meinl HCS ride.

User Info Menu

Nice review. The beginner kits are always going to come up short, but if it's the only way to get started, then they are worth it, because at least the journey has started.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Great write up. Thanks.

User Info Menu

dont be ashamed. i play 2 student kits with great heads and they sound good enough for jamming at home, tune often and they will work just fine.

User Info Menu

Sounds an awful lot like my kit, haha. Hang in there buddy. :P
    Nice review.

User Info Menu

Nice review. Like Pearl MCX Man, I learned about a kit I have never heard of. It was a good write up; to the point and easy to follow.

Thanks.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG