Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you balance drumming and the rest of your life?

User Info Menu

Cool How do you balance drumming and the rest of your life?

This may be the most-asked question that has NEVER been asked in DrumChat!

As you no doubt know by now, I started drumming in my early 30's; I was fortunate to find a drum teacher who dug hand drumming and kept me on the path of learning the rudiments (so my set training was a bonus!).

For several years, I played with groups who performed folk, rock, country, and jazz. I was the breakthrough percussionist for what was originally a contemporary music group in my Catholic parish (no mean trick unto itself). But in the past five years, the focus of the church group changed to a more traditional form of music, and the various groups I played with have split up or moved on.

Meanwhile, my two daughters have grown up and started their own families, including a granddaughter, a grandson, and a step-grandson. My finances got a bit tighter, and I suspended drum lessons for now (cheap therapy, too!).

I was scared that I was losing my drumming skills, not to mention my passion for drumming. (It won't take long to knock off any accumulated rust, BTW.) After consulting with a drummer friend, and being reassured that everyone's priorities change with time, I decided to throw out this question to you: How have you managed to balance your drumming life with the rest of your life (especially if like me, you aren't a paid professional)?

Your thoughts, brother and sister drummers!
    Last edited by bongobro; 08-28-2012 at 09:45 PM.
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Default Re: How do you balance drumming and the rest of your life?

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    This may be the most-asked question that has NEVER been asked in DrumChat!

As you no doubt know by now, I started drumming in my early 30's; I was fortunate to find a drum teacher who dug hand drumming and kept me on the path of learning the rudiments (so my set training was a bonus!).

For several years, I played with groups who performed folk, rock, country, and jazz. I was the breakthrough percussionist for what was originally a contemporary music group in my Catholic parish (no mean trick unto itself). But in the past five years, the focus of the church group changed to a more traditional form of music, and the various groups I played with have split up or moved on.

Meanwhile, my two daughters have grown up and started their own families, including a granddaughter, a grandson, and a step-grandson. My finances got a bit tighter, and I suspended drum lessons for now (cheap therapy, too!).

I was scared that I was losing my drumming skills, not to mention my passion for drumming. (It won't take long to knock off any accumulated rust, BTW.) After consulting with a drummer friend, and being reassured that everyone's priorities change with time, I decided to throw out this question to you: How have you managed to balance your drumming life with the rest of your life (especially if like me, you aren't a paid professional)?

Your thoughts, brother and sister drummers!

In your lifestyle, you do it because you can.

If it's your living, you don't because you can't.

User Info Menu

Not sure I get the question, but, if you're asking how do you fit it into the time that you have, I treat it like any other hobby or interest that I have. I make time for it. Whether it's working out, riding the motorcycle or playing the drums.........if you want to do it and it's that important to you, you have to carve out the time for it. On the other hand, since I don't rely on it for income and it is in fact just a hobby, if I miss some time practicing/rehearsing I don't fret over it. Remember, all work and no play makes you a dull boy.

User Info Menu

Drumming is just a hobby for me cause I am retired. I had the oportunity when I was young 18 to try and make a living at drumming but I lost interest real fast because of money. There just wasn't any money in playing in a band at the time for me to commit my life to so I chose construction and lived well and now retired and financialy stable. I would never of achieved this playing drums for a living.

User Info Menu

Well not having kids I can only add this...for you to be strong for your family and set good examples of living life..you need..."ME" time..that may be sports, working out at the gym, enjoy the play of music,etc, it IS a balance for family, but if you do not include your personal well being the wall tumbles and then where are you? The Work world we are in is not an easy one,times are tough so its very important to include Me time to keep your sanity.
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

It's an interesting question that I have never really thought of. I don't quite know how to properly articulate my thoughts in response to the question.

I have been playing for 32 years so it is very much a part of who I am and what I do. My family and friends all know and understand this. I make the time to play and I play.

I guess, for me, it's like eating and sleeping, in many ways. I just do it...I play drums! I need drums like I need good food and plenty of sleep. It is essential to my over-all health and well-being. It is therapeutic in that it helps me mentally and emotionally. No matter what mental or emotional state I am in, my drums can either add to, take away or change a feeling or mood. My drums are also a salve for my soul bringing comfort, peace and joy. Drumming is a nice physical workout keeping my body moving and my heart pumping.

I play because I love to play and I need to play.

I have made a little money years back, played in various bands and small projects, played some big venues and many small venues but, never gave SERIOUS thought to making it a career. In fact, for me, if I had to do it to make a living I am a little scared to think I would get burned out and loose the passion and pure joy of playing. That's just me though. I'm more of a "play with a few guys/gals and have fun and maybe play a few gigs here and there" kind of drummer.

So asking how I balance work, family, friends, other activities like fishing, boating, hiking, vacations...and life in general with playing is something that I never thought of because I have been doing it for so long it just comes natural to incorporate it into my day-to-day life. If I miss a day of playing because I can't get to the set, oh well, there's always tomorrow or the next day.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

Well not only do I teach drums and play for a living...which can be hard at times....I'm also heads down trying to improve my basic marimba and melodic theory, time permitting. Those are the two operative words....time permitting because for me, at the moment the keyboard percussion stuff is still a hobby. I'm lucky in that both my other half and myself are two working professionals who can balance both our times together as well as our own individual 'me' times....she needs the time to do studies in her field at the moment, which is drug counselling, and fortunately for us, we can dedicate time because neither of us have kids to worry about...although she has to worry about her folks who are not in a great state.....her Dad's going through Alzheimer's, although he's looked after in a great nursing home, but she still has to take time out to visit, so I often drive her to see him or her mother, who's getting through cancer, sad to say. In comparison, my folks are hale and hearty, but I do go visiting them, quite frequently as I'm living fairly close to them. Taking time out to do this is relatively easy for me as I can plan my social life and activities once I've sorted out who's coming in for lessons as well as various band commitments of the week (as I'm balancing two bands at the moment plus have been asked to sit in with a third band as a sessioner...got to see how all that works!) So long as I have someone who totally understands what I do, then they and I have no problem. If not, well....they soon learn or run off, lol.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Well, it's like working out and washing your car and mowing the lawn and fixing the house and all that stuff. You never feel you have the time to do it all but you make it work somehow.

I keep my drums set up in a practice room and I sit down at them all the time just randomly. Sometimes for an hour but mostly just 20 minutes here and 20 minutes there. It has worked! It keeps my chops up and it gives me an outlet for stress build-up. With the band, I make sure that the members are learning their parts "verbatim" before they show up to rehearsal. This saves hours and hours of time and enables us to get in and get out quickly.

User Info Menu

Eat, Sleep, Work, Drum, and repeat. I'm still pretty young so I don't have much priorities until I move out..
    MY KIT
    Mapex Horizon Birch in Rattan Yellow lacquer
    -8x7,10x8,12x10 mounted toms
    -14x14,16x16 floor toms
    -22x18 Bass drum
    -14x5.5 snare

If it's Mapex, YOU KNOW IT'S GOOD!

User Info Menu

There's life outside of drumming? Can I read a review about it?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Drumming is built into my daily routine. I have my kit set up in the garage and at the practice studio where my band has rehearsal. I usually practice for about 45 minutes to an hour when I get home from work. My band gets together once a week (Wednesday nights) from 7:00pm-11:00pm for practice. My wife played drums for her HS marching band so she understands the time I need to practice so no pressure from her for more family time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    There's life outside of drumming? Can I read a review about it?

Yeah, there is. It sucks. Full of non-drummers and a couple of guitar players. No fun whatsoever.

User Info Menu

Haha @ "and a couple of guitar players"
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

i dont balance the two at all. its like "living to ride, ride to live"
    work and life take priority.
    i can play the two kits in my house anytime i want. if i stay home and play drums all the time, i starve and the cars get repo'd.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kyle102565 View Post
    if i stay home and play drums all the time, i starve and the cars get repo'd.
    You know what's funny? The exact same thing happens in my state!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I usually put some time in with one of my kits each day after work. I get home anywhere between 3:30 and 4:30, the wife doesn't get home until 6:00 so that gives me some time with the house to myself. The wife doesn't mind my playing at all, in fact she likes it, but I still try and play when she not home. It is quite loud, personally I don't think I could stand it if I were not a drummer.

It also depends on the days work though. I work for myself painting houses so if I have a day where there is a lot of climbing up and down all day, my ankles and legs may not be into it. I also try and jam with friends once a week, during the summer this usually doesn't work out be we go pretty steady during the fall, winter and spring.

It actually surprises me that at this point in my life, age 52, been playing for 36 years, I still have a constant urge to play my kits. If I go more then a couple days without playing it drives me nuts.

User Info Menu

Drumming has always supported my life. Emotionally and luckily financially. More than a hobby or a gig. It's always something I've done.....it's what I do, and what I feel defines me as an individual. As much as I'm known to my family as DAD - and proud to say a dedicated HUSBAND, I believe that when I'm dead and gone, at least to my family's future generation - I will be remembered as a Drummer.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: How do you balance drumming and the rest of your life?

Hey, brother and sister drummers, I'm not at all surprised with all the response this question has garnered...and I am pleased! Each of us brings his or her experiences to this table, and it's nice to know I'm not the only one who's asked that question!

I will not predict what's gonna happen next, but my future son-in-law is making loud hints that his drum set is available to practice on (I still have mine, but I gotta find all the hardware since I broke down the set to move it a while back! ) ... and he's getting involved in a church whose music may be more open to percussion. Not that I would change denominations, but talent is talent wherever you can use it!

As I told my drumming friend, it's like putting ingredients into a slow cooker and letting them cook. You may not see something happening all at once, but something is happening, and something will happen...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    As I told my drumming friend, it's like putting ingredients into a slow cooker and letting them cook. You may not see something happening all at once, but something is happening, and something will happen...
    Now that's profound. Words of wisdom my friend . . . words of wisdom.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Well, since I'm involuntarily leisured at this time due to nothing that was my fault, I can play anytime I want to.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Well i fit it in because drumming is more than a hobby. I feel insulted when people ask or tell me its me hobby. I would be a depressed reck if I had to never play the drums ever again. Even on the crap falling apart set I have hear at the house I still practice on it because I love the drums. Drumming for me is more or less my life so naturally I fit it in. actually for me eating, drinking, showering, driving, heck even breathing, is what I do when Im not drumming lol.
    DW Remo Vic Firth Zidljian

User Info Menu

I have to go back so far that I really don't remember NOT playing drums.

User Info Menu

this has been an issue for me mainly due to the lack of a dedicated space where i can make noise, excepting those times when i rented space with a band. beyond that i have not been able to play consistently since moving out of moms house some 16 years ago. and now i live in the Hudson Valley where rehearsal spaces are nearly non-existent and what is available consists of a long drive and a 20 dollar an hour minimum.

though i imagine if i had to purchase my own home id probably be to miserable to enjoy much of anything.

i guess im technically a hobbyist, though it to me sounds like a dirty word, certainly one not expansive enough to encompass my love of this craft.

always hoping there's another decent band around the corner, preferably one with a guitar or bass player with some real estate. till than ill be practicing my sticking on the couch in my studio apt. and setting up my kit occasionally to get a look at er till my wife demands i break em down.

but hell anything is better than the grind. unless of course your fortunate enough to enjoy your work.
    don't put off till tomorrow what you can put off today

User Info Menu

When I can play I do and when I cannot play I don't. That's my secret.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    When I can play I do and when I cannot play I don't. That's my secret.
    ding ding ding! and the winner is...
    don't put off till tomorrow what you can put off today