Thread: vic firth drummin head phones

User Info Menu

Default vic firth drummin head phones

I got them, but they dampen the sound so much and when i try and record with my crappy recording system on my computer its all fuzzy because im hitting the drums so loud! ahhhh! also the toms sound so deep and resonaty (if thats a word at all) i cant play the toms because they sound so bad i guess theres no solution to this huh?

User Info Menu

first of all fuzz is bad. If its clipping you can blow up anything through the circuit your sound is running through. Including your speakers when you play back. (If its clipping)

You could play them half off your ears... or off one ear. Or fix your kit so it sounds good :P
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

do you think it has anything to do with a concrete wall being right beside me? the sound bouncing off making my drum set sound louder then it really is therefor making the recording all fuzzy? im trying to get egg cartons but no body has any the save for me.

User Info Menu

Cool Vic Firth Drummin Head Phones

If what you're recording sounds fuzzy, it's distorting (and clipping, like Stevo says). In this case, it sounds like you're putting too much into the recorder, and you can easily damage the electronics (not to mention your speakers).

Correct me on this--aren't these phones designed for practicing only? If you're recording and wearing them to protect your hearing, don't overcompensate by playin' too loud...

If these are regular headphones--like you use to hear tunes on a stereo--you might want to back them down a bit...if it's distorting, it's way too loud...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

i forgot, what are you recording with? was it you that had questions about some 8 or 16 track recorder awhile back?

Shazane Guest

As for the toms, do you have the bottom heads on them? If so try taking them off, it dramatically reduces the resonance

User Info Menu

Which VF headphones are they?
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    If what you're recording sounds fuzzy, it's distorting (and clipping, like Stevo says). In this case, it sounds like you're putting too much into the recorder, and you can easily damage the electronics (not to mention your speakers).

Correct me on this--aren't these phones designed for practicing only? If you're recording and wearing them to protect your hearing, don't overcompensate by playin' too loud...

If these are regular headphones--like you use to hear tunes on a stereo--you might want to back them down a bit...if it's distorting, it's way too loud...
    Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain View Post
    i forgot, what are you recording with? was it you that had questions about some 8 or 16 track recorder awhile back?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shazane View Post
    As for the toms, do you have the bottom heads on them? If so try taking them off, it dramatically reduces the resonance
    Quote Originally Posted by 32ndHeartBeat View Post
    Which VF headphones are they?
    well when I record, why would it damage my speakers if no sound is comming out of them? I turn down the volume when i play the track back. not sure how the electronics would get damaged. well you probably have a point their BB, but if i dont overcompensate my playing then i cant hear the track, so mabye i should use my old ear plugs and my old head phones (which look like this >>http://dealers.harriscomm.com/catalo.../ws-hed026.jpg) for recording. and with the vic firths i havnt tried jamming with anyone with them on yet, so im not sure if there just for practicing.
    --------
    funky im using a 2 dollar computer mic lol . why is it that drummers can HAMMER on their drums and get no distortion, just better recording equipment or what? or is it about the room aswell?
    --------
    i dont feel that keen on taking the bottem heads off, iv heard alot it takes the sound of the drum away.
    --------

32nd, heres the link (>> http://www.activemusician.com/item--MC.SIH1 )

User Info Menu

Ahhh, I have the same ones. love em lol
    Well I've had an awesome experience with them. You should try playing without recording for a long time using your headphones so that you develop a feel to how hard you hit with them. Thats what I did and now I can play over recorded tracks perfectly.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

thats bro, thats a major encouragement!

User Info Menu

Try get a blanket over that concrete wall it would helpo :P
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator