Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: drumming and back pain

User Info Menu

Default drumming and back pain

Hello drummers, I was wondering if any of you have any back problems? I just found out last week that i have two degenerated disks and arthris in my lower back. Every now and then i get muscle spasms in the lower back. I have decided not to give up drumming. I'm sure some of you have the same problem if so what do you do about it?

Keep drumming

Gregg

User Info Menu

Default Re: drumming and back pain

Talk to your doctor about a inversion table. It's done wonders for my back.

User Info Menu

yeah your dr should be able to recommend something for it, stretching excercises maybe. I'm not a back pain expert. Sometimes just R.I.C.E. is the best medicine.

A long time ago I use to haul my kit around in a 77 formula firebird. One day while putting one of the floor toms in the backseat I bent down and reached out to put it in there and "TWEEK"!. Somehow managed the show.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Back pain is a drummer's nightmare. I saw a new product on tv called Back2life and supposidly is better than the inversion table takes less room and easy set up. Hope you get some help with it.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 09-02-2012 at 09:18 AM.

User Info Menu

The disc issue may be more problematic than this but, what kind of throne do you use? I don't have disc issues but my lower back hurt before I bought a high quality throne.

User Info Menu

i have the same disk problem . its not fun. the doctor told me to keep my stomach muscles as strong as possible , your stomach muscles support your back. so its crunch situps for me a few times a week , it helps alot...
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Every time I play someone else's kit and have to stretch or accomodate stranger's drums for more than an hour it leads to a sleepless, painful back night. An immediate hot shower after and ibuprofen helps...what doesn't help is that this happens at about midnight!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Keep some aspirin or ibuprofen nearby if it starts acting up, but aside from that get into a routine of regular exercise to keep those muscles and bones strong! Milk is a good thing.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I've been dealing with back pain for 4 years and have just gotten used to it. I have no disc problems,doctors are a bit dumbfounded on why I have so much pain,but I keep playing and deal with it. I don't play out or move my drums or I'd be SOL. I have moved them a few times and the last time I about dropped the BD and said that was it,not moving them again.
    8pc Tama Superstar Classic Maple
    Sabian and Zildjian Cymbals

User Info Menu

db60, I have a similar issue that stems from a bad landing when I was thrown from a horse. It only happened one time - in my 20's - but it has had lasting consequences. Of course, playing baseball into my 40's probably didn't help it.

I see a chiropractor on a regular basis, I avoid overly soft mattresses, try to keep myself in good shape, and I watch how I lift. atomcorr, and Rick also have very good advice as well.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I've got it too. When it flares up, it might make your legs go numb. My doc gives me a concoction of a couple different medicines that wipes it out and gets me back to normal. The flares (inflamation) is when it really gets bad. Otherwise, just pop an ibuprofen when it's painful and like Bob said, keep exercising and staying fit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by atomcorr2 View Post
    i have the same disk problem . its not fun. the doctor told me to keep my stomach muscles as strong as possible , your stomach muscles support your back. so its crunch situps for me a few times a week , it helps alot...
    +1 on this. Also, minimise the weight of your traps case. I did this long ago by either splitting it into two or several loads (such as using the lid of my traps case for all my stand titlers, snare drum stand, hi-hat and tom holder, with the drum rug strapped on top - that's one load. The heavy stand 'bottoms' are then strapped together with bungee ties (we call them 'occy-straps' in Australia....they're the ties with hooks on either end used for tying down loads on the roofracks of your car) - that's the second load. And the third one is a large sports bag containing my double-pedal, clamps, cowbells and blocks and a roll of gaff tape in various compartments and pockets. I'd rather truck in three separate loads rather than damage my back trying to lift it in one lot. If you must haul the one traps case, always have somebody help you lift and carry it. Don't be stupid and try to be a hero. Take it from someone who used to be an OH&S assistant at a former workplace.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Like Tom said sttengthen your core muscles also chrck your setup, if you find yourself leaning forward adjust things so you arent leaning.

User Info Menu

My back issues have settled down, who knows what brought it on, and what has settled it...i continue to go to a chiropractor, it took me visiting 2 different ones before i started to see/feel results...the exercise thing is pretty important...i also bought an expensive throne with a back rest on it, as drumming was the most painful activity...pain in my kick drum leg mostly... pain in my back was minimal compared to the leg pain.....go to a back clinic if you can, somebody who knows backs! Try and stay off the pills chronically, they're nasty!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Like Tom said sttengthen your core muscles also chrck your setup, if you find yourself leaning forward adjust things so you arent leaning.
    I find that I lean forward on some of our faster songs when I'm really getting into it. I should stop doing that.

User Info Menu

I agree with Funky about the pills, they dont fix your back they just mask the pain. If anybody needs some great core exercises let me know. I have to have an incredibly strong core to absorb punches and kicks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    I agree with Funky about the pills, they dont fix your back they just mask the pain. If anybody needs some great core exercises let me know. I have to have an incredibly strong core to absorb punches and kicks.
    NR, you gotta play friendlier gigs man, come to East York! I haven't been punched or kicked in a few gigs!

User Info Menu

I fell 6 or 7 years ago and fractured two discs in my lower back. It has never been the same. Then about 3 years ago I had pain in my neck and shoulders and it was discovered that I had degenerative discs, c4 and c5 I believe.

So I see a chiropractor about once a month to once every six weeks and that helps along with a professional massage every four months and the biggest is stretching every part of my body including my legs (tight muscles and tendons in the legs can strain the back) and I keep my core muscles strengthened as they support the back. Plus, sitting for long periods of time puts a tremendous amount of pressure on the lower back. Many people like to sit when they have back pain and this is about the worst thing to do. Stand or lay on a firm surface with your knees about 6-8 inches off the floor supported by a pillow to take the strain off the knees. Use your legs to lift and rather than bend, squat as much as possible.

Eventually the degenerating discs may have to be fused. There is not much anyone can do to stop the progression.

It really stinks man but there is a lot that can be done to reduce or alleviate pain and slow or stop some further damage but, not all pain and damage.

Best of luck.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

Prevention is worth more than a pound of "cure". I take a 1000 mg fish oil supplement every day (for omega-3 fatty acids and many more benefits) and try to follow an anti-inflammatory diet. Many foods cause inflammation of body tissues, especially when deep-fried. Potatoes, tomatoes and other members of the nightshade group are familiar culprits. Add in some muscle-ligament-tendon stress and it can make for a bad day. Google the diet topic. When pain strikes, Motrin helps me more than plain ibuprophen. Some good suggestions above for more serious injuries, especially laying on a firm surface like a hardwood floor. Take prescription painkillers and muscle relaxants ONLY when necessary---bad side effects, especially on the stomach lining and liver.

Age brings degenerative disc disease to everyone, quicker when there has been back injury in the past. Discs are located between the vertebrae and are shaped like a donut with a jelly-like filling covered in a tough membrane. They act like shock absorbers and prevent bone-on-bone scraping as well as protect the various nerves exiting the spinal column between the vertebrae. When the membrane is ruptured and the jelly leaks, pressure is placed on those nerve roots, causing pain that can radiate down the nerve, such as the leg pain described above.. Discs don't "slip", they rupture.

Muscle pain is usually micro-tears in the muscle tissue that attract more blood and fluids to the site for healing---in other words, inflammation! The extra fluid puts pressure on the local nerves which the brain interprets as pain. Imagine stretching an elastic band beyond it's limits---tears begin to occur along the sides until it rips through completely. Rest of the damaged muscle is the quickest "cure". Taking body-builder nutrients such as creatin and protein whey will help the healing process.

Hope everyone can stay pain-free to be able to enjoy drumming for a lifetime.

Cheers!

Strider

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Strider View Post
    Prevention is worth more than a pound of "cure".

Take prescription painkillers and muscle relaxants ONLY when necessary---bad side effects, especially on the stomach lining and liver.

Discs don't "slip", they rupture.
    Prevention is everything!! But too often when we're young we think, "it won't happen to us", or "I can take it", but then it catches up to us.

Prescription pain killers and muscle relaxers are highly addictive and regularly abused. For reasons I won't get into, I refuse to take them and when I had a surgery this spring I made sure I told my doctor and there are plenty of alternatives.

And yes, there is no such thing as a slipped disc.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

hobbes1 Guest

I get it sometimes. Seems to be positional in that if i mind my posture at the kit, it doesn't bother me. If i hunch over for awhile or slouch at the kit, it comes on strong. stretching and excersizing seem to help as well as being always aware of my posture.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Strider View Post
    Prevention is worth more than a pound of "cure". I take a 1000 mg fish oil supplement every day (for omega-3 fatty acids and many more benefits) and try to follow an anti-inflammatory diet. Many foods cause inflammation of body tissues, especially when deep-fried. Potatoes, tomatoes and other members of the nightshade group are familiar culprits. Add in some muscle-ligament-tendon stress and it can make for a bad day. Google the diet topic. When pain strikes, Motrin helps me more than plain ibuprophen. Some good suggestions above for more serious injuries, especially laying on a firm surface like a hardwood floor. Take prescription painkillers and muscle relaxants ONLY when necessary---bad side effects, especially on the stomach lining and liver.

Age brings degenerative disc disease to everyone, quicker when there has been back injury in the past. Discs are located between the vertebrae and are shaped like a donut with a jelly-like filling covered in a tough membrane. They act like shock absorbers and prevent bone-on-bone scraping as well as protect the various nerves exiting the spinal column between the vertebrae. When the membrane is ruptured and the jelly leaks, pressure is placed on those nerve roots, causing pain that can radiate down the nerve, such as the leg pain described above.. Discs don't "slip", they rupture.

Muscle pain is usually micro-tears in the muscle tissue that attract more blood and fluids to the site for healing---in other words, inflammation! The extra fluid puts pressure on the local nerves which the brain interprets as pain. Imagine stretching an elastic band beyond it's limits---tears begin to occur along the sides until it rips through completely. Rest of the damaged muscle is the quickest "cure". Taking body-builder nutrients such as creatin and protein whey will help the healing process.

Hope everyone can stay pain-free to be able to enjoy drumming for a lifetime.

Cheers!

Strider
    You have done your homework Strider, and you explained it very well.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I just jammed today for about 2 hrs and had some severe back pain when I was done. I just go home and invert. Does the trick in minutes!

User Info Menu

there is this magic product called Tiger Balm. its awesome.

User Info Menu

So a lot of you guys have learned or know a whole lot about lower back pain. A very knowledgable lot here.

I had a bout of it about 17 yrs back from a career of sitting on butt and stress. Got some steriod treatment and learned all about stretching, lower back exercise, yada, yada, yada. But Strider and some others have very good info beyond just the back that can let many of us drum, play, live well for many decades to come.

My wife is a CMT, meaning Certified Massage Therapist. From her and her work on all types of clients (elderly ladies to Firemen and Athletes) I've learned all about how bad sitting long periods is, not stretching, straining. bad lifting, no exercise or hit miss exericse is too. She also uses Essential Healing oils in her pratice that have great pain relieving and healing qualities for times when you need it. No need for RX pain meds.

Beyond that I have learned that all of us over 50 if we want, that is really want to enjoy drums and life for a long, long time need to make aerobic exercise and strength training a part of our lives, period. The best science in aging and physical health and training all point to strength training for weight control, balance control, cognitive improvement, memory inprovement the list goes on and on. The program I've adopted only takes one day a week for strength and a day or two for hard aerobic with a few others for medium to light aerobic (just walking, a easy bike ride, etc.).

Anyone interested in what happens to you going in either direction as we age these guys have a decent book on it, Younger Next Year by Chris Crowley and Henry S. Lodge. You may want to take some of their life philosophy with a grain of salt or two but the medical/health factual info is eye opening to anyone who wants to be around until 85+ or even 100 and playing drums. ;-)