Thread: Foot Pain!

User Info Menu

Default Foot Pain!

Hey guys so I've been playing lately and I've been getting a cramp in my right foot (main foot) within like 10 mins of playing. It always seems to be on the "outside" of my foot back towards the heel. Dunno if that matters but ya lol anyway, I feel like its probably a posture issue as I've never taken lessons or really learned proper posture. But I'm coming up on 2 years of playing and I've never had this issue before. I don't sit wth my thighs/shins at a 90 like some say should be done. I tried it and didnt really like it and i like to be higher so i can keep my toms relatively flat over my bass drum. Another thing I'm thinking is it could be pedal issue because I got cramps in the same foot before but more on the bottom of my foot and once i adjusted the pedal, they went away. Im just wondering if anyone has had this issue as well and maybe some pointers so I don't get it again.
    Pearl Vision VSX
    Tom . 10" x 7"
    Tom . 12" x 7"
    Tom . 14" x 12"
    Tom . 16" x 14"
    Bass . 22" x 18"
    Snare . 14" x 5.5"

Sabian
    12" AA Splash
    14" Xs20 Hats
    16" AAX Stage Crash
    18" AAX FREQ Crash
    19" AAX X-Plosion Crash
    20" Xs20 Medium Ride

Wuhan
    8" Splash
    10" Splash
    16" China

User Info Menu

Default Re: Foot Pain!

thats kind of odd... you dont NEED to be sitting at a 90degree angle. I can't see any reason why your foot would start to cramp besides maybe the angle your foot is playing at is not working with the angle youre sitting at?

eg. playing on a high throne but heel down. I am assuming you didnt do anything to your foot prior to this sudden pain/cramp? Try adjusting your angle. thats the only thing I can think of.
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

Sounds like plantar fasciitis. I have it in both of my heels. The pain got so intense, I had to get cortozone injections in both feet but the pain came back after 6 months. My doctor highly recomends custom inserts for my shoes but they cost over $400 USD to get them made so I'll have to wait to enroll in a health plan that covers the custom inserts. Semi custom inserts do help and are cheaper but it may be a 'hit and miss' to match the contour of the soles of the feet.

Plantar fasciitis is inflammation of the thick tissue on the bottom of the foot. This tissue is called the plantar fascia. It connects the heel bone to the toes and creates the arch of the foot.

Symptoms:

The most common complaint is pain and stiffness in the bottom of the heel. The heel pain may be dull or sharp. The bottom of the foot may also ache or burn.

The pain is usually worse:

•In the morning when you take your first steps

•After standing or sitting for a while

•When climbing stairs

•After intense activity

Signs and tests

The health care provider will perform a physical exam. This may show:

•Tenderness on the bottom of your foot

•Flat feet or high arches

•Mild foot swelling or redness

•Stiffness or tightness of the arch in the bottom of your foot.

X-rays may be taken to rule out other problems.

Treatment

Your health care provider will usually first recommend:

•Acetaminophen (Tylenol) or ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) to reduce pain and inflammation

•Heel and foot stretching exercises

•Night splints to wear while sleeping to stretch the foot

•Resting as much as possible for at least a week

•Wearing shoes with good support and cushions

Bone spurs will eventually develop where the tendons in the heel have collasped. It's the body's way of providing support to the weakened area of the heel. There's nothing that can be done to remove the spurs. Ice and stretching helps alot. I can no longer walk without shoes by doctors orders. Good luck and please get your foot looked at as soon as possible.

Last edited by late8; 09-05-2012 at 12:25 PM.

User Info Menu

I get foot pain now & then, sometimes pretty bad, primarily b/c I rarely wear shoes. When it first happened I went to a doc, who diagnosed it as plantar fasciitis (fallen arches) and also tried to sell me wickedly expensive shoes/inserts. I found some arch bandages at Walmart & after about 8hrs the pain was gone. When it comes back, I'll wear them for a few hours & it'll go away again. I considered it a miracle--when it first started it was extremely painful to walk, esp after sitting for a while--and even more so b/c the bandages were only $5 ea.

Walmart doesn't carry them anymore (go figure...) but I just picked up a cpl more on amazon
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00

May not help you, but thought I'd share...
    OCDP Avalon - Red Sparkle
    10-12-14-16-22
    Crush Chameleon Birch - White-on-white
    10-12-14-16-22
    Pearl Session Elite - red lacquer
    10-12-13-14-16-22
    Pearl Export EXR - Orange Swirl
    12-14-16-24

Pearl Joey Jordison Sig Snare
    Ludwig 14x5 1963 Acrolite Snare
    Ludwig 14x5 Standard Snare
    OCDP 14x7 Microvent Snare
    OCDP 14x6 Avalon Snare
    Crush 14x6 Chameleon Snare
    Mapex 13x3 Piccolo Snare

Sabian Cymbals
    14" AAXplosion Hats
    14" HHX Evolution Hats
    14" AA Med Hats
    22" AAX Metal Ride
    20" AA Medium Ride
    20" Pro Ride
    17" AAXplosion Crash
    18" AAXplosion Crash
    19" AAXplosion Crash (2)
    20" AAXplosion Crash
    19" Vault Crash (2)
    19" AAXtreme China
    10" HHX Splash

Wuhan Cymbals
    12", 16" & 18" Chinas
    15", 17", 18" Crashes
    8" & 12" splashes

User Info Menu

Tuggernaut, do you have "flat feet," or even flat on just the foot that's cramping? If so, the condition is due to ankle "pronation" (your foot rolls toward the inside arch) and it puts added pressure on the plantar fascia. If this is the case, then I would say that late8's diagnosis is likely accurate, and arch supports will correct the pronation. In the short term, the arch braces can help, though.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

ya i dont think its anything like that. Its more of an irritation than pain. And its more on the side of my foot back towards the heel. I tried playing with shoes lately and it helps so idk what the deal is. Im looking for a pedal upgrade anyway so maybe when that happens itll help too? and no, i dont have a flat foot
    Pearl Vision VSX
    Tom . 10" x 7"
    Tom . 12" x 7"
    Tom . 14" x 12"
    Tom . 16" x 14"
    Bass . 22" x 18"
    Snare . 14" x 5.5"

Sabian
    12" AA Splash
    14" Xs20 Hats
    16" AAX Stage Crash
    18" AAX FREQ Crash
    19" AAX X-Plosion Crash
    20" Xs20 Medium Ride

Wuhan
    8" Splash
    10" Splash
    16" China

User Info Menu

Is it under the heel, toward the outside, or toward the outside, and back of the heel?
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I don't think it is a bone spur or you would have sharp pain when you get up in the morning. I had one years ago, got the high priced orthotics, wear them in all my shoes and haven't had a problem since.

I'd suggest dinking with our pedal and foot position and see if that helps. I'd suspect you've changed something even unknowingly and that's causing the problem.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 3DCreation View Post
    I don't think it is a bone spur or you would have sharp pain when you get up in the morning. I had one years ago, got the high priced orthotics, wear them in all my shoes and haven't had a problem since.

I'd suggest dinking with our pedal and foot position and see if that helps. I'd suspect you've changed something even unknowingly and that's causing the problem.
    Ya and I play hockey and baseball regularly and have never had a problem, its only while drumming. Also, I've found my pedals to not hold a tune very well so Im thinking it has probably just changed by itself over time like it did before. And the irritation is on the right side of my right foot when i look down at it. Its really got nothing to do with the heel, I just meant it is on the side but closer to the heel then my toes.. Its like right where my foot narrows into the heel if that makes sense. I lowered my throne about 3-4" and am playing with shoes. So far so good.. we'll see.
    Pearl Vision VSX
    Tom . 10" x 7"
    Tom . 12" x 7"
    Tom . 14" x 12"
    Tom . 16" x 14"
    Bass . 22" x 18"
    Snare . 14" x 5.5"

Sabian
    12" AA Splash
    14" Xs20 Hats
    16" AAX Stage Crash
    18" AAX FREQ Crash