Thread: drumtechs???

User Info Menu

Default drumtechs???

I know what they do. But how are they paid? how are they hired? I assume there hired the same way a musicians is right? Do they stick to one or 2 of the same drummers or are they just hired by random drummers, and go to whoever calls them much like a musician. I was wondering because I know someone who would make a great drumtech but I don't know if i would be the one to hire and pay them or what. Other then knowing what they do, as you can see there job is unknown to me.
    DW Remo Vic Firth Zidljian

User Info Menu

Default Re: drumtechs???

Quote Originally Posted by groovearteest View Post
    I know what they do. But how are they paid? how are they hired? I assume there hired the same way a musicians is right? Do they stick to one or 2 of the same drummers or are they just hired by random drummers, and go to whoever calls them much like a musician. I was wondering because I know someone who would make a great drumtech but I don't know if i would be the one to hire and pay them or what. Other then knowing what they do, as you can see there job is unknown to me.

I've yet to see a reason for them. I took care of my stuff for decades without any help.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I've yet to see a reason for them. I took care of my stuff for decades without any help.
    Well when you go on tour with big artists and you have to have humoungous kits drumtechs come in handy, while your learning songs the tech is tuning, setting up your kit, micing it, sometimes if they think they can get a more desirable sound out of your kit they do things like chop to tweak your kit, they build add ons and stuff like that. There real handy guys when your on tour with really big name artists and stuff. Rex hardy jr(mary j blige and american idol) his drumtech is very useful, he built add ons to his rack so theres no need for mic stands you can just attach mics to the rack. He also cut his rack toms down to where all of them are 7 inches deep. Dont know why he did it but they sound very good. The list goes on.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by groovearteest View Post
    Well when you go on tour with big artists and you have to have humoungous kits drumtechs come in handy, while your learning songs the tech is tuning, setting up your kit, micing it, sometimes if they think they can get a more desirable sound out of your kit they do things like chop to tweak your kit, they build add ons and stuff like that. There real handy guys when your on tour with really big name artists and stuff. Rex hardy jr(mary j blige and american idol) his drumtech is very useful, he built add ons to his rack so theres no need for mic stands you can just attach mics to the rack. He also cut his rack toms down to where all of them are 7 inches deep. Dont know why he did it but they sound very good. The list goes on.

Groovearteest, I say this with absolutely no sarcasm intended, and with all due respect.

How did we, I mean people from my era, ever survive. I also wonder the same thing about cell phones. How did we ever make it through life without these things?

User Info Menu

We didn't, if there's a need for this type of work. Got the chance to be one for 5 years for various local groups and some larger names and found it to be a rewarding experience(I wouldn't be a drummer today had it not happened). Basically, the drummer was my main boss - I was at his call every second I was with them like an assistant. If they need a drumhead, a piece of hardware, help tuning, help setting up, moving drums, anything - I handle that need and make sure they are ready to play without a problem. Maybe you can get along without techs and that's great, but I never once heard a guy say he didn't enjoy having some of the work taken off of his hands. I can totally understand wanting to do stuff yourself, and it's nice to know about everything that goes on with your kit too. I think it's a mutual gain relationship, but if you're interested in becoming one get ready for hard work and hard hours! Good luck to you!
    Last edited by Russ; 09-11-2012 at 07:10 AM.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

First off to be a drum tech you gotta know your business it is not something you learn like an apprentice. Most famous drummers who use them want someone that know what the heck they are doing. Also you will struggle for years making peanuts till you hit the right band to tech for. This is not for everyone so you realy have to look at the big picture before jumping into it. Anyway good luck and I don't want to discourage you just the facts.

User Info Menu

The techy situations I'm familiar with are done by contract.
    Usually a drummer gets to know a tech and wants him around for multiple purposes...............so you might sign a contract for $XXX per month and you are working for that drummer/band whether he is in the recording studio or out on tour or rehearsing for the new album..............your schedule is generally whatever the drummer's schedule is.............except he is in the bus or plane and you are in the truck.

This type of arrangement requires you to know his equipment and his sound as well as he does.............not to mention his ego and his wife too.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I hope Rich chimes in here....he's been teching for DD for a while now.

User Info Menu

Roadies I can understand. It's nice to have people to lug everything around, but, drum techs. That says to me "Yup, I know how to play drums, but, past that, I don't know squat about them".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Roadies I can understand. It's nice to have people to lug everything around, but, drum techs. That says to me "Yup, I know how to play drums, but, past that, I don't know squat about them".
    I need roadies. Bad. There's nothing I hate more than loading and unloading drums.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    The techy situations I'm familiar with are done by contract.
    Usually a drummer gets to know a tech and wants him around for multiple purposes...............so you might sign a contract for $XXX per month and you are working for that drummer/band whether he is in the recording studio or out on tour or rehearsing for the new album..............your schedule is generally whatever the drummer's schedule is.............except he is in the bus or plane and you are in the truck.

This type of arrangement requires you to know his equipment and his sound as well as he does.............not to mention his ego and his wife too.
    Thanks for the answers, I know what a drum tech does, I just don't know anything else like who pays them or how they get hired to begin with. I always had just assumed that the drummer pays them out of his own pocket.

User Info Menu

I would be willing to bet it depends on the band. Some bands probably have them on payroll and others probably leave it up to the drummer to hire him. Most artist players use roadies from the local union crew. They'll get direction from the stage manager but your stuff is all marked up and they just "connect the dots". A tech helps on a more direct level and is like having a personal cook at home. It's a luxury. Do we need them? No. But, if you want someone to cook for you, you simply hire them. Same with a drum tech. If you want someone to handle the tuning and stuff you don't feel like messing with, by all means, hire someone to do it for you.

Keep in mind, anyone can have a roadie or a drum tech. You don't have to be in a famous band. I've used roadies on local gigs before when I just don't feel like hauling the gear. I just find a young friend that needs some cash and call him up.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I just find a young friend that needs some cash and call him up.
    1+. Roadie, drum-tech, they're usually whatever I want them to be
    Dw | Zildjian | Pro-Mark | Evans

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ciz View Post
    1+. Roadie, drum-tech, they're usually whatever I want them to be
    ...."What? Free tickets?"
    ... "Uhh just come help carry stuff and I can get you in as part of the band"
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kazaamski View Post
    ...."What? Free tickets?"
    ... "Uhh just come help carry stuff and I can get you in as part of the band"
    Tis' about right But it was more like "What? Free ride? No school?" Hahahaha
    Dw | Zildjian | Pro-Mark | Evans

User Info Menu

When you are on a large tour, you have a lot of responsibilities outside of just playing your set, and you don't always have time to set up and tear down your drums, let alone maintenance, etc. so techs are standard issue. Drummers on these kinds of tours typically work with cartage companies, and they know the employees pretty well. If the drummer is going on tour, he/she will often ask an employee if they want the job as their tech. They get someone they know and trust. Techs are paid out of the crew budget and are typically on salary. Teching large tours involves long hours and hard work, so lifting that burden from the artist and handing it over to a tech minimizes wear and tear on the performers. It's tough to give the audience your all if you roach your back throwing around 100lb Anvil cases twice a day.

On smaller tours, drummers will often hire friends or an employee at their favorite drum shop. Again, someone they know and trust. Sometimes they get paid from a crew budget or the drummer will pay out of his/her pocket. A good friend of mine does a couple of east coast tours a year with indie bands and gets paid a % of the drummer's cut. He also doubles as a guitar tech on these tours (he plays 5 instruments) and increases his paycheck that way. He got started when a bass player he used to gig with went into the tour manager business and remembered him.

The crew for some tours is a package deal, where the production company will provide not only the sound and lights, but backline instruments and people to tech them, so if you're looking for work as a tech, try taking an entry level crew gig with a production company. If they like you and get to know you a bit, they'll discover you're a drummer and might give you a shot at teching somewhere along the line.

User Info Menu

from what I read above..most of us would never have the need for a DD...or better yet be able to pay them from $ cut from band, that being said..if you are a touring drummer in a very very large venue and multible play dates around the country and CAN AFFORD ONE..by all means go for it.
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

I'm a drum tech for DamageDrummer (aka Jerry). We hooked up here on DrumChat over a year ago after we found out we were neighbors. I do all of this work for free. Why??....for the experience of working with one of the hottest local metal bands in my area PLUS I get to watch and learn from the 'real' touring drum techs as they set up their kits backstage before the doors open.

Here's how it all started:

http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...eam-20692.html

The drum tech thing happened because Jerry's band's got big. They started opening up for national touring acts which required fast set-up and tear downs and their theatrics got more complex which required a helper. My role as drum tech has expanded to a more of a broader title of 'stage manager' but I still manage Jerry's kit from set up to tear down.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MattDrums View Post
    When you are on a large tour, you have a lot of responsibilities outside of just playing your set, and you don't always have time to set up and tear down your drums, let alone maintenance, etc. so techs are standard issue. Drummers on these kinds of tours typically work with cartage companies, and they know the employees pretty well. If the drummer is going on tour, he/she will often ask an employee if they want the job as their tech. They get someone they know and trust. Techs are paid out of the crew budget and are typically on salary. Teching large tours involves long hours and hard work, so lifting that burden from the artist and handing it over to a tech minimizes wear and tear on the performers. It's tough to give the audience your all if you roach your back throwing around 100lb Anvil cases twice a day.

On smaller tours, drummers will often hire friends or an employee at their favorite drum shop. Again, someone they know and trust. Sometimes they get paid from a crew budget or the drummer will pay out of his/her pocket. A good friend of mine does a couple of east coast tours a year with indie bands and gets paid a % of the drummer's cut. He also doubles as a guitar tech on these tours (he plays 5 instruments) and increases his paycheck that way. He got started when a bass player he used to gig with went into the tour manager business and remembered him.

The crew for some tours is a package deal, where the production company will provide not only the sound and lights, but backline instruments and people to tech them, so if you're looking for work as a tech, try taking an entry level crew gig with a production company. If they like you and get to know you a bit, they'll discover you're a drummer and might give you a shot at teching somewhere along the line.
    good answer. Btw im not trying to become a drumtech.