Thread: investments in drums

User Info Menu

Default investments in drums

Hello fellow drummers, Question: I have invested alot in my drums. I am wondering if making more drum videos would benfit me and where it might lead me? I would like to make a drum cover soon but am haveing problems in that department.

Keep drumming

Gregg

User Info Menu

Default Re: investments in drums

Making drum covers is mostly for your own enjoyment, or displaying your talent. I mean, they may make you popular on youtube if you do great covers, I would use them to showcase yourself for bands and stuff like that.... but other than that, I don't think they have any real use.
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

Agree with SpatzST mostly. Folks like Cobus, Meytal, etc. have carved out a niche and I see some talented drummers covers promoting lessons and session work. But mostly it for fun and showcasing.

Are you wanting to get gigs or are you in a band?

User Info Menu

Gregg, a reason for pursuing it is to watch yourself back to examine your form, style, execution, etc.

User Info Menu

By investing in your drums, I assume you mean time spent learning, rather than the monetary value of the instrument itself.

A video is a useful tool, but nothing more. A good video on YouTube can get you noticed, and as mentioned, there are those who have made a name for themselves, but they are a precious few. Ask yourself this, of the thousands and thousands and thousands of drum solo/cover/lesson videos on the web, how many of those drummers can you immediately recall by name? A quality drum video can serve as a video resume, so to speak, but you still have to get out there and network in person, play as many gigs as possible with as many musicians as possible. If people like what they hear, they'll call you.

User Info Menu

So D-boy can you clarify what's on your mind?

Playing an instrument you enjoy yourself or can participate with others making music even for a small circle is such a gift (no matter how "talented" you think you are or are not) that so many other folks envy. But I know there are musicians that want to achieve some signal recognition or goal that is their personal inspiration or frustration. wassup?

User Info Menu

i thought you were talking about value of kit as well. I've thought about insuring mine but never have. Who's that guy from Canada that does the RUSH covers? He nails it.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN