Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 39 of 39

Thread: How to practice the Stick Control book

  1. #26

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: How to practice the Stick Control book

    ������
    Enjoy the little things in life because one day you`ll look back and realize they were the big things.

    -Karrie

  2. #27

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: How to practice the Stick Control book

    /\ What does that mean??

  3. #28

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: How to practice the Stick Control book

    Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    /\ What does that mean??
    I think it means that someone wants 2 eggs sunny side up.

  4. #29

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: How to practice the Stick Control book

    As an adult student this book has been very helpful to me with my drumming. I have had my book over 25 years because I play conga as well and used stick control as hand exercises for conga. I practice it slowly to get the sticking down then increase the speed until it breaks up so I back it down to the highest speed I can comfortably play. I do each line of the first three pages for about a minute each.
    Somewhere out there someone is have another dinner with a loved one because me and I am proud.

  5. #30

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: How to practice the Stick Control book

    I looked at that book once, decided it would make me nuts, put it back on the shelf.

    Drumming is mainly single stroke and double strokes. When I get behind my set, I'll play with just the left hand and the BD, then switch hands.

    After that, I'll just take rudiments and mess with them. RLRRLRLL (SIMPLE PARADIDDLE) get's turned into RLRRLRLLRLLRLLRLLLRLRLLRLLRLLRRR.

    You don't have to do this ^^^ sticking, just start with a paradiddle and when you feel like it, change the sticking to a double or single stroke roll, back to a paradiddle and maybe some sticking like ^^^^^. If the sticking makes you uncomfortable playing it, that's what it's supposed to do. I change things around on the snare a lot. For decades it kept me sharp.

  6. #31

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: How to practice the Stick Control book

    Quote Originally Posted by bassist learning drums View Post
    I may be really asking a stupid question, but I am having one hell of a time with the triplets. I can no doubt-ably play the 16th notes smoothly and the 8note triplets as smooth, but when conjoining them, I get off tempo and the 16th notes wants to play in triplet form. Does anyone have a video or audio track that demonstrates the flow of these patterns? I just think I cannot hear the routine, so trying to play it makes cacophony.

    Go slow like 60 bpm or even slower and say the phrases out loud as you play them. 1 E & Ah, 2 E & AH, 3 Trip let, 4 Trip let. etc etc. Try to think about accenting the 1st beat, when accenting 16th notes the accent is on the same hand on every beat (depending on which hand you start with) and when accenting triplets the accent changes from right to left on every beat.

    Hope that makes sense.
    DW Collectors

    Sonor Essential Force Birch

    Zildjian K Cymbals

    Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing.

    http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

    https://www.facebook.com/marcydriveband/ This is my band, please give a like.

  7. #32

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: How to practice the Stick Control book

    Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    so how does this book relate to music? Is it any different in the end than playing paradiddles/rudiments back to back at different tempos to warm up? Or maybe it's just the satisfaction of playing every note correctly in the book as laid down by a famous marching, snare drum instructor?
    This is dumb in so many ways, but I call BS on it, as I know damn well that you understand the difference between warming up and developing drumming skills.
    Life's too short to play the same solo twice. Improvise!

  8. #33

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: How to practice the Stick Control book

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySticks View Post
    This is dumb in so many ways, but I call BS on it, as I know damn well that you understand the difference between warming up and developing drumming skills.
    Let's keep things diplomatic please.
    - Tom

    Save up to 70% OFF CLEARANCE ITEMS!
    From T-shirts to stickers to drum accessories, get the absolute lowest pricing on clearance merchandise from Drum Bum!.

    Click here for Clearance Items





    When you shop at Drum Bum or BuyGifts.com, you help with the costs of operating DrumChat.com. Please consider patronizing their fine stores. Whether you need unique music gifts for friends or just want a a little something for yourself, Drum Bum is the place!



    For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.
    That will also allow you to be eligible to win a free drum T-shirt. Drum Bum gives away a free T-shirt every month!

    Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

  9. #34

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: How to practice the Stick Control book

    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I looked at that book once, decided it would make me nuts, put it back on the shelf.

    Drumming is mainly single stroke and double strokes. When I get behind my set, I'll play with just the left hand and the BD, then switch hands.

    After that, I'll just take rudiments and mess with them. RLRRLRLL (SIMPLE PARADIDDLE) get's turned into RLRRLRLLRLLRLLRLLLRLRLLRLLRLLRRR.

    You don't have to do this ^^^ sticking, just start with a paradiddle and when you feel like it, change the sticking to a double or single stroke roll, back to a paradiddle and maybe some sticking like ^^^^^. If the sticking makes you uncomfortable playing it, that's what it's supposed to do. I change things around on the snare a lot. For decades it kept me sharp.
    This^ is what I think and what I do...works for me too, Rick.
    I have a friend that worked this book to death in his teen yrs., really enjoyed marching-drumming, got his kit in '63, still can't do anything interesting on the drum kit...
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

    http://www.screaminmelinas.com

  10. #35

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: How to practice the Stick Control book

    Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    This^ is what I think and what I do...works for me too, Rick.
    I have a friend that worked this book to death in his teen yrs., really enjoyed marching-drumming, got his kit in '63, still can't do anything interesting on the drum kit...
    Sling, I've seen a lot of drummers that have done the same thing and can't put together 2 minutes of interesting drumming.

  11. #36

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: How to practice the Stick Control book

    my teacher in college called this the bible of drumming.
    We would do all of these exercises and then play them while moving around the toms and turning them into fills
    19pc Yamaha Maple Custom Vintage | 12pc PDP X7 | 9pc Ludwig Jr. | 8pc Pork Pie ZebraWood | 6pc Sonor | 5pc Orbitone |4pc Sonor Martini | 5pc Gretsch Energy | 41 Snare drums and growing!

  12. #37

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: How to practice the Stick Control book

    Contrary to what some here say, these exercises will help. To answer your question? I use it one page at a time.

  13. #38

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: How to practice the Stick Control book

    Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Contrary to what some here say, these exercises will help. To answer your question? I use it one page at a time.
    Any exercise that involves various stickings will help. It's when it is done to the exclusion of everything else is where the problem starts.

  14. #39

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: How to practice the Stick Control book

    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Any exercise that involves various stickings will help. It's when it is done to the exclusion of everything else is where the problem starts.
    This is very true.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •