Thread: Cymbals...

User Info Menu

Default Cymbals...

So, first post here. Been reading for about a month.

OK, so my current cymbal setup is a 13in pair of hats, a 20in crash/ride, and a 14in crash. The ride and hats are Zildjian Scimitars. The crash is a Sabian AA.

I'm hoping to get cymbals soon. My question is what should I get? I'm thinking used, professional or intermediate level.

I play mostly rock, but next year I hope to be in my schools jazz band. I was thinking maybe I'd get a pack.

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Cymbals...

Well which is your favorite current cymbal?

Let's just say it is the AA then take that into the music store and pick cymbals that you think compliment it.

The AA line would do you just fine because its "Vintage bright" so it should be able to cover jazz and rock pretty well.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

I know you're looking for some guidance, but unfortunately this is such a subjective question- it's really hard for any one person to offer an answer that is right for anyone but themselves. I can offer suggestions for sizes based on what you currently have, but even that can be a little subjective. Your best bet is to go to a store, and try out a bunch.

This being said, I'm partial to Zildjian, and more specifically their A Custom line. In my opinion they are a very versatile sound, meaning they can be used in a lot of different musical styles without being out of place. But there are alot of choices these days, even just beyond Zildjian, Paiste, and Sabian. It may help to visit their websites to see what the ranges are, and also listen to sound clips to help you narrow down what you'd like.
    As for size- based on what you have, a 16, 17, or 18" crash would be my first choice, followed by an effect cymbal like a splash or china.

Good luck!

User Info Menu

Honestly the best thing to do if you can is go to GC ( lets be honest, they will probably have the biggest selection available ) and go hit cymbals. I've done it in the past. It won't let you get the sound of how they would be on the kit with you playing but it will help lots.

For a versatile cymbal though Zildjian A or A Custom or Sabian AA or AAX in my mind would be good choices.
    Last edited by Xoferif09; 09-15-2012 at 12:15 AM.

User Info Menu

Thanks, I'll try to convince my mom to take me there... 30 minute drive...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Xoferif09 View Post
    For a versatile cymbal though Zildjian A or A Custom or Sabian A or AA in my mind would be good choices.
    I agree with all the advice you've gotten so far. In the Sabian line, though, I think Xoferif had a little brain fade, and he meant Sabian AA or AAX.

Xoferif, I'm sure glad I never have brain fades.

Welcome to Drum Chat SopherGopher!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Hey Mate.

Do you know much about Meinl cymbals? My advice is look heavily into their Byzance line. In all seriousness, it's big enough that it could be it's own company. I think the Byzance Traditional Medium-thin cymbals would get the job done for you And in my experience, Meinls tend to be cheaper, but at absolutely no compromise for quality.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I agree with all the advice you've gotten so far. In the Sabian line, though, I think Xoferif had a little brain fade, and he meant Sabian AA or AAX.

Xoferif, I'm sure glad I never have brain fades.

Welcome to Drum Chat SopherGopher!
    Thanks for the correction! Lol. Guess my head was still in Zildjian land.

User Info Menu

What should I replace/add first?

User Info Menu

Well. What's your budget? Right now you actually have all you really need to start out with. A crash, a ride, and some hats, right? Also, are you taking lessons? How long have you been playing? If your new you might want to hold off on buying expensive cymbals right now. If your not taking lessons, there is a chance that you might break a pie because of unpracticed technique. Better to learn on cheap stuff when just starting out, if you are indeed just starting out. Welcome to the best drum chatting, hey DrumChat, site on the net. You will learn a lot here if your new, even if your not "new". Everybody likes to share expertise here unlike other sites where the "veterans" like to keep what they have learned a secret. Cheers.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zeta View Post
    well which is your favorite current cymbal?

Let's just say it is the aa then take that into the music store and pick cymbals that you think compliment it.

The aa line would do you just fine because its "vintage bright" so it should be able to cover jazz and rock pretty well.
    +1
    don't put off till tomorrow what you can put off today

User Info Menu

i really like my medium sabian aax stage crash in 16''. it's not heavy like all my others but it cuts just fine. bright, quicker decay. i think for jazz medium weights would work great or maybe even thins.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Xoferif09 View Post
    Honestly the best thing to do if you can is go to GC ( lets be honest, they will probably have the biggest selection available ) and go hit cymbals. I've done it in the past. It won't let you get the sound of how they would be on the kit with you playing but it will help lots.

For a versatile cymbal though Zildjian A or A Custom or Sabian A or AA in my mind would be good choices.
    i agree 100% good advice
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Take a look at some lesser known brands as well if you can. Often they will offer lower prices but still quality products. Dream and Kazsa are two examples.