Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shuffle beat / triplets

User Info Menu

Default Shuffle beat / triplets

Hi Guys,

I am a self taught drummer and am looking on polishing up my skills. One thing that I have always struggled with is the shuffle beat, I cant for the life of me nail it. Can any of you recommend a way to practice this so I can just finally nail the shuffle? i start off ok and within a bar I am all over the place

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

B
    -=BrYanO=-

==================================
    Mapex Meridian Birch - Platinum Sparkle Delmar Wrap
    12" Zildjian A Custom Mastersound Hi Hat
    17" Zildjian Z3 Medium Crash
    19" Zildjian Z Custom Medium Crash
    21" Zildjian Custom A Projection Ride

User Info Menu

Default Re: Shuffle beat / triplets

Practice lots of it, start slow then gradualy speed it up only when you are comfortable to doing it without messing up. Good luck it's all about co-ordination.

User Info Menu

He hit it on the head. Just keep it "real" slow for awhile. This will ensure that you don't lose the feel in the middle of it. Only speed up slightly when you're ready. If you mess up again, slow it back down and get it perfect first.

User Info Menu

One additional suggestion I might add is YouTube. There are some really good examples of how to correctly play a shuffle *( keep in mind there are a lot of different shuffles )* Seeing the mechanics of how to play a shuffle will certainly make it all go easier, plus finding a tune that has a slow shuffle pattern to it and playing along with it will also help a lot. Just sayin~
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

Thanks guys appreciate the tips, its the HH pattern i really struggle with. Looking at youtube now
    -=BrYanO=-

User Info Menu

Bryan, it's a broken triplet. If you have a group of 3 triplets, remove the middle one and then just play that over and over. That's what gives a shuffle its sound. Hope this helps a bit.

User Info Menu

I hate to sound ignorant but what exactly is a shuffle beat, is that just anything in swing style? (Triplets)

User Info Menu

It's exactly this:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    It's exactly this:

Really, that's it? I guess the way my teacher taught me, I didn't run into the same rut other people do. Me and my brother (guitarist) occasionally swing random songs for the fun, especially metal haha

User Info Menu

This Youtube has notation for all kinds of shuffles:

I pasted this into the link box but got this anyway, so...click on it.
    Last edited by slinglander; 09-23-2012 at 07:44 PM.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Many different shuffle variations. Some more difficult than others. Get on YT. Practice. Go slow at first.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoXV6...e=results_main

Nice find.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bryano View Post
    Thanks guys appreciate the tips, its the HH pattern i really struggle with. Looking at youtube now
    All good advise here. One thing you may want to try if you're struggling with the HH is just to play the Hat and keep a beat with the kick. Don't bother with the snare until you get more comfortable on the HH. Keep it slow and simple and then build.
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post

The only problem I have with this video is that he starts out with one of the hardest shuffles for young drummers to play, the two-handed, double shuffle. I suggest starting out with #12 first and get that down pat before moving on.

Great find by the way. Very informative with tons of variations.

User Info Menu

listen to Bo Diddley and get the bass drum beat down.
    trust me, it works

User Info Menu

Thanks again guys really appreciate the advice
    -=BrYanO=-

User Info Menu

as always , the accents will make this come alive for you , will make your shuffle happen .

for starters , accent the quarter notes ( downstroke ) , and think off the last note of the triplet as a ghosted skip note ( an upstroke ) : down , up down , up down , etc . take it really slow , with a click , and try to get this motion working , paying extra careful attention to what you're doing.

once you've become comfortable with this , try adding the middle part of the triplet on the snare drum , being careful to ghost these notes , making sure there's a huge difference between the ghosted notes and your accented snare notes ( backbeats etc). obviously this is tricky , especially when the note is preceded by an accent , and is for a little way down the road , but the masters of the shuffle , the likes of jeff porcaro and bernard purdie , had/have this technique down to a fine art.

also explore half-time shuffles

User Info Menu

Lots of shuffle grooves out there, good luck.

User Info Menu

Bryan, it's a broken triplet. If you have a group of 3 triplets, remove the middle one and then just play that over and over. That's what gives a shuffle its sound. Hope this helps a bit.
    ive always struggled a bit with this concept. i play it as a triplet with the 1-2 on the hat and the 3 as the ghost, i cant fathom it any other way. as for a suggestion........ leave out the feet completely until you gain the hand coordination required to play the pattern
    Last edited by chafey; 11-19-2012 at 01:32 AM. Reason: hehe GIN!
    MAPEX MAFIA

User Info Menu

http://http://youtu.be/TmjZ6JPn91s how do you make these thing work?
    MAPEX MAFIA

User Info Menu

Also, try playing the middle triplet beat on your knee with your left hand so you can hear what you're right hand is doing and maybe this will help you get the timing.

In no time at all you will be playing the shuffle beat form "Rosanna"
    Life's too short to play the same solo twice. Improvise!

User Info Menu

I play country shuffles and blues shuffles. Slightly different in feel.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Check out how relaxed Chris "Whipper" Layton is playing this song live with Stevie Ray Vaughn. There's a cam shot of him sitting on that groove at the 5:23 mark or thereabouts. It's all in the wrists. Still a fave of mine all these years.

Here's another great Texas guitarist, Eric Johnson, with what looks like to me Tommy Taylor playing drums behind him. It sure sounds and feels like him! Another great shuffling song.

"...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

The Rosanna Shuffle is my absolute favorite shuffle of all time. It's difficult ( For me, at least) But once you get the hang of it it's awesome.
    6 Piece Pearl Masters Custom Extra Maple
    14x5.5 Snare
    10x8 Tom
    12x9 Tom
    14x12 Floor Tom
    15x13 Floor Tom
    22x16 Bass Drum

Miscellaneous Hardware
    14 inch Zildjian Quick Beats
    16 inch Istanbul Xist Crash
    20 inch Meinl HCS ride.

User Info Menu

SRV and ZZ Top use a Texas Shuffle still a triplet just a little more tricky.