Thread: Drum solo (contest) advice

User Info Menu

Question Drum solo (contest) advice

I decided to enter the young drummer of the year 2013 contest, and was wondering if any of you guys would be so kind as to poke holes in the solo i've written so far, i know it's far from perfect, but i'm wondering if there are any major flaws, and if you think i'll make it to the top ten

tl,dr

drum solo critiques wanted

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum solo (contest) advice

I think it sounded pretty good. You've got some nice ideas. Criticism? Get your hands together. Your rudiments are not fluid. This is usually a result of not mastering the double stroke roll. Until you can CONTROL "double bounce" at all tempos, you won't be fluid. This comes with time but if you put the practice in now, it will pay off. Start with slow doubles working up the speed, work with a metronome and force yourself to stay with it, controlling your doubles throughout. You'll know if you don't have control. Trust your instincts.

Hope this helps. Keep up the great work!

User Info Menu

I have the same advice as Drummer! Really learn to control those doubles. I would personally call it "stroking out" the doubles, which consists of really controlling each bounce with the fingers (by keeping them on the stick) rather than "pinching and praying" (using just your fulcrum [thumb and pointer] and pinching tight for the doubles), letting the other fingers fly off the stick. Stroking it out will allow better sound quality between each bounce and will give your more control overall. If you're using just your fulcrum with forearm movements then there is not a great chance that you'll get an even sound unless it's really fast.

Overall I thought it was awesome! I might have to steal a few licks.
    Last edited by isaacvining; 09-30-2012 at 11:45 PM.
    Kits:
    -C&C Player Date 13/16/22
    -65' Ludwig Super Classic 13/16/22

Snares:
    -DW Nickel Over Brass 6.5x14 snare
    -Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14 snare
    -Ludwig 65' Super Classic 5x14 snare
    -Ludwig 64' Pioneer 5x14 snare
    -PDP Classic Wood hoop 6x14 snare

Rides:
    -Zildjian 22" Constantinople
    -Zildjian 22" Kerope
    -Zildjian 20" Constantinople
    Hats:
    -17" A Medium crash over K custom dark crash

-DW 9000 pedals

User Info Menu

thanks guys, the advice is really appreciated, i'll definitely be working the pad hard now! and thanks too for the compliments
    do yah reckon i'm in with a shot of making the top 10, with this level of competition?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmXg19JSuzM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bh3nmm0jKc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42CfjhNBq2g
    Last edited by IRealBored; 10-01-2012 at 03:08 PM.

User Info Menu

Based on a quick viewing of a few contestant videos from previous years, it's unlikely that you'll make the finals with the solo in the video above. I'm not being mean, I'm just trying to prep you for the reality of what you're getting yourself into. You have some work to do on your fundamentals and solo construction before you're ready to crack the top 10.

In any case, you'll learn some valuable things from the experience and as a young player, you can only benefit from that.

Cheers

User Info Menu

thanks for the honesty, i'll certainly do another draft now, and i'll do my best to work on all of that

User Info Menu

From watching those 3 drummers; the first drummer "charlie" had some interesting things going on but in the middle he was playing a med tempo pattern and then muffed it when he tried to "dazzle us with brilliance" and didnt pull it off...as far as the other two go...they've got a ways to go to get to your level. I would say if you tighten up your doubles and well, here's a thought that you might consider trying; Ive watched Dave Weckl who is my favorite drum master and he works his dynamics better than any drummer Ive heard...and he does those cymbal riffs with a feather touch and then combines them with triplets on the kick and the toms ...snare etc. To me, that makes a solo much more interesting...not only from the sound of it but from the show of it all. Example: he does a show with Vinnie and Steve - a 3 drummer Buddy Rich tribute...check out Daves beginning portion. Its on YouTube; Dave Weckl - Vinnie Colaiuta - Steve Gadd Drum solo. It might give you ideas of your own and hey, its more tricks~ and the stick tricks by the way...looked good... Good Luck and love to see what you end up with...
    Last edited by Warren Wright; 10-03-2012 at 02:57 PM.
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

thanks loads for the analysis, advice and flaterry warren! I think i'll redo that solo, as well as another one i have drafted, then compare them and sed away the winner :P i'll do my bes to keep you posted

User Info Menu

I have to agree with Drummer and isaacvining- the doubles need work. You should also work on dynamics and shift the rhythm around a bit without necessarily changing the tempo (although that's cool too).

Check this out:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwn5msHfrN8

I realize this is a long solo but the point is this solo starts mellow yet had great dynamics and pulls the listener in then builds and builds and then slowly comes back down yet throughout the whole solo the listener is always waiting for what is coming next. It's like a bell curve but always captivating at both "lower" ends of the curve.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG