Thread: China positions

User Info Menu

Default China positions

I'm about ready to buy a China cymbal, and I wanted some opinions on the positioning of the China.

I see some have it right side up, bell up, and inverted with the bell down.

What are the advantages or disadvantages of each? Would one position be more prone to cracking the cymbal than another? I would think having it bell up and right side up, that the harsh edge of the China would eat into the sticks more. Is that why most have it inverted?

I know everyone has their own tastes and styles and it's a matter of player preference, but I was curious how you guys set it up and why.
    DW Collectors
    Twisted Blue Oyster
    Toms: 8x10, 8x12, 12x14, 14x16 [Evans G2 Coated/Evans Clear Genera Resonant/G1]
    Kick: 18x20 [Evans EMAD2 White/EQ3 Coated White + Kickport]
    Pure Maple Standard Shells
    Chrome Hardware

Snare: 6x13 DW Edge Snare - Tiger Oyster - Chrome Hardware
    Aux: 5x12 Pork Pie Little Squealer
    RotoToms: 6 - 8 - 10 - Remo Pinstripe Clear
    Evans & Remo Heads

Cymbals
    Zildjian A Custom
    Zildjian A Series
    Zildjian EFX
    Zildjian K & K Custom
    Sabian Paragon

User Info Menu

Default Re: China positions

I play mine with the flange turning down. Either way I flip it it sounds the same, so I play mine that way to save my sticks from getting chewed up.

User Info Menu

I play mine bell down. It's the most practical way to play it. It will save your sticks and more importantly it will save the cymbal. Playing with the flange up or bell up, you risk damaging the cymbal; denting the edge.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

I agree with what the others have said.I've never tried to play a china any other way.
    8pc Tama Superstar Classic Maple
    Sabian and Zildjian Cymbals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drumsetsnide View Post
    I play mine bell down. It's the most practical way to play it. It will save your sticks and more importantly it will save the cymbal. Playing with the flange up or bell up, you risk damaging the cymbal; denting the edge.
    Completely agree with this. You will see most players position their china this way. There are models on the market that have a bell the right side up whilst also having the flanged edge curving downwards. An example would be the Paiste Nova, I think.
    PDP | Black Panther | Sabian |

User Info Menu

Bell down here too. Seems to get the full effect with it that way. I've heard of people riding on them for ping but the one i have only sounds good for the trash. Zildjian ZHT 18''
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I'm with everyone else here.

As such:

User Info Menu

I agree with the inverted postition to protect the edges. I have an 18" Wuhan China and that cymbal's bell is flat on top. That being the case, it makes sense that it was meant to be inverted.

Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Yep I experiment with placing one or two around the drumset, usually bell down so that your stick hits the downward turned flanged edge....

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatDrummer View Post
    Completely agree with this. You will see most players position their china this way. There are models on the market that have a bell the right side up whilst also having the flanged edge curving downwards. An example would be the Paiste Nova, I think.
    In the foreground, that's the Paiste Novo China BFD mentioned:

Unlike most other Paiste cymbals, the bell doesn't really give you a playable sound, but because this kind of china is "double-flanged", I find it has a slight gated effect.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Yeah the thing i never understood about Chinas....

The way the logos are on the cymbal itself would imply that the top side is with the bend pointing upwards.

On the bell side it displays BRAND / SERIES, on the underside it displays just BRAND. On any other cymbal, the brand alone is displayed on the bottom of the cymbal, while the top is brand/series.

It may just be a manufacturing thing though.. systems are built for the bell facing upwards.

Either way, I play bell down. Also HHX Chinas rock.
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

Awesome replies! Thanks for the input! It'll definitely help when I get my china.
    DW Collectors
    Twisted Blue Oyster
    Toms: 8x10, 8x12, 12x14, 14x16 [Evans G2 Coated/Evans Clear Genera Resonant/G1]
    Kick: 18x20 [Evans EMAD2 White/EQ3 Coated White + Kickport]
    Pure Maple Standard Shells
    Chrome Hardware

Snare: 6x13 DW Edge Snare - Tiger Oyster - Chrome Hardware
    Aux: 5x12 Pork Pie Little Squealer
    RotoToms: 6 - 8 - 10 - Remo Pinstripe Clear
    Evans & Remo Heads

Cymbals
    Zildjian A Custom
    Zildjian A Series
    Zildjian EFX
    Zildjian K & K Custom
    Sabian Paragon

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpatzST View Post

The way the logos are on the cymbal itself would imply that the top side is with the bend pointing upwards.

On the bell side it displays BRAND / SERIES, on the underside it displays just BRAND. On any other cymbal, the brand alone is displayed on the bottom of the cymbal, while the top is brand/series.

It may just be a manufacturing thing though.. systems are built for the bell facing upwards.

Yeah the HHX Chinas are some of the best sounding ones I have heard. I have the 18" and 20". the 20" is so mellow and not over powering. Just has a killer sound to it.I have an 18" HH that doesn't sound so dark to my ears but fits well with the others.
    8pc Tama Superstar Classic Maple
    Sabian and Zildjian Cymbals

User Info Menu

yeah, I don't like pingy chinas so this really does it for me. It has a lot of body to it unlike most chinas i hear.
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpatzST View Post

I have a 14" hand hammered china. I believe it is basically a store own brand Stagg. In any case, on my china, the main logo and model are on the side with the edge facing downwards contrary to most other brands which, as you say, place these on the bell side.
    PDP | Black Panther | Sabian |

User Info Menu

Bell down on the china position although I have played with the bell up and I liked the wash it produced.