Thread: Carpal Tunnel Syndrome/RSI

User Info Menu

Default Carpal Tunnel Syndrome/RSI

Over my 15 years or so playing the drums, I've developed moderate Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in my right wrist. I was diagnosed about a year ago and went into school provided physical therapy. It didn't really help to a noticeable degree. Since then I've tried to improve (or at least not exacerbate my condition) on my own through stretching and practicing for responsible periods of time. Does anyone else deal with chronic injuries due to their drumming? if so, what have you done about it?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Carpal Tunnel Syndrome/RSI

Occasionally I'll feel the tennis elbow pain developing in my right forearm and I'll change my practice routine to completely different repititions. It usually develops after lots of practicing one rudiment over and over on a hard pad. I add a towel to soften the hits and use different sticks, bigger or smaller, depending, to change the grip and run cold water over the painful areas after each routine. Holding your arm in one position for prolonged periods of time sometimes aggravates the elbow too.
    My last job as graphic illustrator required a lot of time using a "mouse." I developed carpal tunnel like symptoms that took two years to disappear-got laid off in the co. restructuring(oldest first!).
    As I play I have no pain now, just fatigue, not unusual for my age, plus I try to relax more as I play, holding the sticks looser than before...
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Default Re: Carpal Tunnel Syndrome/RSI

I've developed chronic pain in the extensor indicis tendon in my right index finger. Like Slinglander, I use a mouse extensively at work and this has contributed to the chronic pain I feel whenever I put pressure on the finger to either hold a drum stick or write by hand. I use ice, and stretch my hand alot after prolonged playing but if the pain gets too bad, I take Ibuprofen tablets to reduce any swelling. My biggest fear is not being able to hold a drum stick due to the pain so I developed an alternative method of holding the stick in my right hand. I reverse the 'traditional grip' method for a right handed drummer which helps relieve the impact on the index finger.