Thread: New w/questions

User Info Menu

Default New w/questions

Hello all, loads of info here and needing some advice. Recently purchased my first kit, a used Tama Rockstar. Right now it has a mix and match of heads on the toms. Heads are Remo clear and coated ambassadors, Remo clear emperor, Remo coated power stroke 3 The current set up is 14x5.5 snare, toms are 10x10, 12x11, 13x12, 16x16 & 17x22 bass. (first drum kit so not exatly sure Iam measuring them correctly) I like the bass and snare sounds so I'm not worried about those right now. The toms I can't get to sound the way I want. One sounds dead no matter what, others ring forever. I have a relatively small room - 12x12 or so to play in. Looking for something that has a nice deep sound without too much ring. I have looked at multiple threads and see just as many thoughts on tuning/heads, just looking for a starting place as I think the biggest problem is they all have different heads so none of the sounds seem to blend (if that is the right way to state it) Not exactly sure where to begin. Appreciate your thoughts.

User Info Menu

Default Re: New w/questions

because its a used kit mostly likely the heads will be thrashed out ...get new heads i say pinstripes they are very easy to tune and have a thud

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    because its a used kit mostly likely the heads will be thrashed out ...get new heads i say pinstripes they are very easy to tune and have a thud
    +1 get new heads
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

I have a few Rockstars. I use clear pinstripes on the batter and classic clears on the reso.

User Info Menu

You could try some Evans EC2. They're two-ply clear heads with pin stripe.
    DW Performance Series
    Peavey Radial Pro RBS-1
    Roland TDW-20

Gibraltar rack system
    Sabian AA/AAX/HHX/Vault
    Tama pedals

User Info Menu

The most common head combos are

Coated Emperors over Clear Ambassadors

Coated G2's over Clear G1's

I would say as a new drummer to start out with one of these combos because they are so versatile that you can develop and idea of the sound you want.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat Dean!

In general, I would agree with Zeta. You did mention a small room, though, so a little dampening would be beneficial in that room. For now, I would agree with the advice on the Remo Pinstripes or the Evans EC2 heads. For resonant heads the clear Remo Ambassadors, or clear Evans G1 heads would be good.

Again, welcome!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

new heads. If hou want something not ringy I'd go with either Evans EC2s or Remo Pinstripes and any type of single ply clear on the bottom.
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

hey Dean welcome to the club. I'd try the remo clear pinstripes on top and a single ply head on the bottom sides. I use mainly Aquarian but all the manufacturers have great heads. as far as tom measurments go, it sounds like you got it right but to be sure measure the toms and kick without the rims. Some people will measure a drum from rim to rim and that gives you a false measurment. See it on ebay a lot. I'm thinking your kick is either 16x22 or 18x22.

What color is your kit? as always pics are more then welcome for everything. Batz
    Last edited by slinky; 11-07-2012 at 05:29 PM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I second the EC2clear/G1 clear head combo. I love the tone and timbre of this combo.

User Info Menu

Thanks for all of the replies. Remeasured and I believe it is a 16x22 kick, wasn't real sure how to measure them.

Is there a particular reason you don't use the same heads for batter and resonant?

Will get some pictures and figure out how to post them. It is a blue kit and looks really nice. Also came with Zildjian HH, ride, china and crash cymbals, all ZBT series and all the hardware for it. Really pleased with it and will be happier once I get it sounding good to me.

Pastor Bob mentioned dampening due to the room size. There is a small blanket in the kick, would you put something in the toms as well? Kind sounds somewhat ignorant, but I guess its better to ask than not ask.

Thanks again for all the input.

User Info Menu

The rule of thumb is that the batter head is thicker or equal to the resonant head.

I'll use evans as an example:

G1/G1=good
    G2/G1=good
    G1/G2=not so good
    G2/G2=good
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dean from Co View Post
    Is there a particular reason you don't use the same heads for batter and resonant?
    You can use any head combination you desire. There is no rule on what's 'right' or 'wrong' when it comes to how you want your kit to sound. It's comes down to personal preference and that's done through experimenting and finding what works for you and what doesn't.

Here's an example: Charlie Watts uses the Remo Black Control Dot for batter and reso. If you listen to his the drums at :06-:12 before the song starts on this youtube video, you can hear how the overtones are controlled by this head combination.

Last edited by late8; 11-08-2012 at 05:29 PM.

User Info Menu

Thank you all, one more question, is there a difference between coated and clear. Looks like I can get either in single and 2 ply heads. I would prefer clear just to see the wood of the shells but can go either way. I don't have much of a budget just trying to get as much info before spending what I do have so the trial and error will have to come over time.

Reread my last post and want to make sure it was clear the ignorant part was pointed at me and in no way was pointed towards Pastor Bob.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dean from Co View Post
    Reread my last post and want to make sure it was clear the ignorant part was pointed at me and in no way was pointed towards Pastor Bob.
    Dean, I understood what you meant, and just for the record, I can be just as ignorant as the next guy, although I do try to keep it to a minimum.

As to your question on the muffling, I don't think you need to worry about dampening the toms, aside from using the EC2, or Pinstripe heads (if that is the sound you want). I would suggest buying 1 of each of the batter heads that you are considering, and try them on a tom. That way you can figure out what you like before you buy a set of heads.

As to coated, or clear, the coated heads will "warm" up the sound just a little, so it's all personal preference. If you like seeing the wood of your drums, I would just go with clear for now. Later on you will get a better feel for where you want to go with your sound.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I agree with the 2 ply batter head and G1 or Remo Ambassador reso head. I use the Evans EC2 clear on top (2 ply batter head) and Remo Ambassadors on the bottom (single ply reso).
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

If you have any concerns about tuning, I'd go with the Pinstripes. Amazingly easy to tune and have a nice sharp tone.
    Rocka Rolla Woman

Mapex Black Raven
    14" Zildjian New Beat Hi Hats
    Zildjian 16" Fast Crash
    17" Zildjian A Custom Crash
    21" Zildjian A Sweet Ride