Thread: Need Opinion On Roland Or Hart

User Info Menu

Default Need Opinion On Roland Or Hart

Whatz up fellow percussionist! I am debating over buying a Roland TD 20 set or Hart Professional series with a TD 20 brain? I've heard all about the TD 20 and not too much of the Hart. The Hart Professional series with the ecymbals looks very much like an acoustic set and from what i read including professional testimonies, sounds like the way to go...their ecymbals respond more like a real cymbal, heads and kick better than Rolands...but i dk. I don't have a hart dealer in my area, so if ANYONE would share their experience or opinion, be greatly appreciated...BTW, I would be using these strictly for practice in my home and have a wife, therefore acoustic drums are out. Thanks!!

User Info Menu

that's some serious money to spend on a home setup = either which way you go. I haven't bee able to exprience the Hart stuff first hand, however from what I have discovered they are every bit as good, if not better than the ROland V drums - coupled witht he TD20 brain - the best in the business - you can't go wrong with either setup. I would probably go for the Hart if it was me - they look better for starters, then add ot that the revolutionary ecymabl II's - man, I will envy you till the day I die.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

Thanks plunger dude. You are right, that is a lot of green for a home system...but i believe you get what you pay for and i just want to find out which is best between the two. And i have to agree with you on the Hart w/ the TD 20. I am thinking of visiting Hart - they are in Destin, Fl which is about 3 hours from where i am. The guys there are very nice and offered me to come down and try out their set. Anyway, I've got some nice guitar equipment that i need to sell to help offset the cost, do you know anybody who may be interested in Marshall, Taylor, Washburn, effect pedals???

User Info Menu

Oh my! Assuming you are a fan of the Beatles, I wonder . . . can a Beatles fan play an electronic set? Do you think Ringo would approve?
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Check this thread out:

http://vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33722

I think most like the look of the Hart but say the Roland is much better.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drum_chick View Post
    Check this thread out:

http://vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33722

I think most like the look of the Hart but say the Roland is much better.
    That's a Vdrum forum - could it be a lttle bias?

Seriously though one of the comments on there though was very true - Chevy VS Ford (or in my case Holden Vs Ford) - basically it is personal preference for the brand, as the equipment is almost compeltely on par. Kind of like "Which is better - a $9000 DW kit or a $9000 Pearl/Tama/etc... kit?" At those levels the differences are minimal, and where one might be better than the other, in other areas, it's not as good, which ultimately level them out.

In this instance the Hart setup works out a little bit cheaper, looks tons better, and will sound identical to the Roland version, thanks to the exact same module. If for those reasons alone, I prefer the Hart - then you try and play it - IF (I haven't played as they are available in Australia, so I can say for sure) the Ecymabl II's and the mesh heads respond in the way you want and feel the way they are advertised, and the way I have read others talk about them, the Hart seems to outshine the Roland.

I think one of the biggest hurdles in a situation like this is a company like Hart doesn't have the brand recognition and history that Roland does. Everyone knows and accepts Roland as top end, best of the best stuff. Hart is a younger company, not as well known or as easy to buy, so people don't know as much about it. Also, their "mistakes" are more recent than Roland's - so even though there stuff might be better - they can't get enough people to give them the chance to prove that fact. It's the same principle in ALL forms of retail and product sales, from cars to toothpaste.

So Beatlefan - As soon as you can - try out the kits. The only way to make a fully informed desiscion is to actually try them out and decide form there. A Hart Pro 6.4 vs Vdrum TD-20 -which will you choose? It should be which ever feels the best for you, and best suits your requirements and needs and options as far as space etc... is concerned. I said the 6.4 as that is the absolute top end kit and clsest to the TD20 in price.

User Info Menu

Well everyone make sense...I just need to go bang on both to see which i like. BTW, I use to be strictly a Ford man (had 3 Mach 1 mustangs), then switched over to the General (corvette and camaro), now i am married and can't afford either...hee..hee. Still, i like anything fast!! I'm not prejuduced. Thanks everyone for chiming in, and if anyone else has experience with either the Roland TD 20 or Hart Pro 6.4, or experienced any problems, please let me know.
    In response to PASTOR BOB: I am most a Beatlesfan and fan of just about all classic rock. My favorite drummer remains to be Neil Peart. I like the style of Stewart Copeland and the drummer for Eddie Brickel & the New Bohemians. I don't think Ringo would approve but we won't know for certain unless he chimes in...Wishful Thinking!!

User Info Menu

Im SURE Ringo would approve. He was so solid and relaiable for the beatles he was almost a robot. I mean that in a good way.

User Info Menu

Hi -- new to this post -- actually seeing the original question on this post was what prompted me to join -- as to your question -- I purchased a TD-10 about ten or so years ago so I could practice while living in the Bay Area -- I never had any expectations of using the kit beyond practice (my acoustic kits are Noble Cooley and Sonor Designer)

Two years ago I got the TD-20 head -- but I kept the TD-10 pads -- there are certain features that I cannot use -- and I have tried a couple of different options (the electronic cymbals are still cheesy and they DO break on occasion) but to my point -- I now use the TD-20 in the studio. The PD-10 and PD-12 cymbal pads are actually pretty well behaved -- except for chokes obviously -- the hi-hat still has a way to go -- but the DYNAMIC CONTROL of the TD-20 is UNMATCHED -- check out the following web page -- this is recording with my buddy Ivory James playing bass and me playing a TD-20 with the standard TD-10 pad line-up. I have the Roland KD-120 kick drum using DW-9000 twin kicks (did not utilize double kick for this tune). When I play live, I use the pads with acoustic cymbals -- it works pretty well. But keep reliability and usability in mind with Roland -- they have a great rep for COSM -- but they have a lousy rep for road worthiness -- but nobody is perfect.

For your review:

www.myspace.com/doktormojo

Best of luck in your search.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by beatlefan View Post
    Whatz up fellow percussionist! I am debating over buying a Roland TD 20 set or Hart Professional series with a TD 20 brain? I've heard all about the TD 20 and not too much of the Hart. The Hart Professional series with the ecymbals looks very much like an acoustic set and from what i read including professional testimonies, sounds like the way to go...their ecymbals respond more like a real cymbal, heads and kick better than Rolands...but i dk. I don't have a hart dealer in my area, so if ANYONE would share their experience or opinion, be greatly appreciated...BTW, I would be using these strictly for practice in my home and have a wife, therefore acoustic drums are out. Thanks!!
    Hi Beatlefan -- I originally joined this chat forum to respond to your question -- I upgraded my TD-10 to a TD-20 -- keeping the pads from my TD-10 -- there is a lot that I cannot take advantage of, but overall the dyanmic quality is unbelievable -- in the beginning, I bought the 10 for practice when I lived in an apartment -- now converted to a 20 I use it in the studio -- NOTHING I have ever played -- electronically that is -- compares -- my www.myspace.com/doktormojo entry has a tune called Cry Of The Whales that my friend Jimmy played the bass on -- it was a spontaneous thing -- but the point I wnated to make here is that the kit for this is a Roland -- and oh yeah -- the cymbals? My producer has a set of them collecting dust in the corner -- they really are cheesy -- check out the cymbal sounds on the tune link -- they are the pads -- it blew me away the clarity was so incredible -- I highly recommend a cheaper set of used TD-10 pads with a TD-20 head -- it is a winner -- and even if only for practice -- your chops will improve in no time at all -- anyway -- I wish you well in your search --

User Info Menu

Thats the key though - TD-20 brain. In this discussion, the brain is going to be the td-20 regardless right? So the only real point of discussion is the pads/cymbals and hardware.

BTW - What sample set were you using, it sounded wierd. Not that I didn't like it, it just wasn't as natural as I was expecting.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crazymanwithaplunger View Post
    Thats the key though - TD-20 brain. In this discussion, the brain is going to be the td-20 regardless right? So the only real point of discussion is the pads/cymbals and hardware.

BTW - What sample set were you using, it sounded wierd. Not that I didn't like it, it just wasn't as natural as I was expecting.
    My point was that the pads for the TD-20 are too expensive and are not necessary -- if I can get the dynamic I get from the old pads -- then anyone can -- besides they are still matched -- they are stereo -- and they are comparatively cheap -- and the cymbals -- not where they need to be -- yet -- I would not waste my time or money on them right now.... unless you can afford to experiment

As for the tune -- Weird? -- good description -- I like it -- it is a live recording -- I am playing the Roland using my custom kit tuned to my need -- My buddy used a fretless Guild Bass -- we recorded flat into Pro Tools -- the mix came from an idea -- I used to be a Sonar tech on submarines in the Navy -- we heard what we heard (sounds of whales) come through in the playback -- we pushed in some effects to bring it up -- we were going for that open deep water kind of back echo -- anyway -- it is what it is --
    Last edited by Mo Degley; 08-10-2007 at 02:55 AM.

User Info Menu

Hi Mo and welcome to the forum! I too am new. I appreciate your comments and input. Like the "Plunger man" stated, i am sold on the TD 20 brain. I've seen and played briefly a TD 12 set at my local Guitar Center, and granted it was a demo - looked beat to hell and back. So i questioned the durability of the pads and cymbals, which spawned me to look at a Hart Pro 6.4 set on their website. They have amazing drummers showing off in video clips demonstrating the 6.4 w/ Roland TD 20 module and some other trigger or module in line (DFH ?). The Drummer for Prince is UNBELIEVABLE! I've never seen anyone incl. Neil Peart with such speed!! Check it out and let me know what you think ...www.hartdynamics.com