Thread: Nice score for Drumbledore.....New Paiste Mini China and 2nd Hand Zildjian Oriental!

User Info Menu

Default Nice score for Drumbledore.....New Paiste Mini China and 2nd Hand Zildjian Oriental!

Some more I've been adding to my collection. A few weeks back I bought a second-hand LP Gajate Bracket (for a cowbell, block, or other percussion) that you can attach to a foot pedal, and together with that I also bought a really nice 14" Zildjian Oriental Trash China, which goes really well with a 9" Zildjian Oriental Splash that I've owned for a number of years now. Sounds wicked, I used it on a drumkit when I did a gig south of Sydney in the same week when I bought the bracket and china (all up, for AU$235).

Then, only a week later, went and bought this little beauty brand new. A Paiste 8" Mini China. It goes well with my percussion set-ups. Set me back AU$185, my mate at the shop sliced $90 off the retail price, as I bought it together with other drum gear for other people.

"...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Default Re: Nice score for Drumbledore.....New Paiste Mini China and 2nd Hand Zildjian Orient

The Oriental China (partly seen on the far right of the kit) mixed in together with the Oriental Splash (above the rack toms), Paiste 2000's and 2000 Sound Reflections, Paiste Sound Formula Reflector hi-hats on the right, and an 8" Paiste Signature Splash.

Meanwhile, this is how I've placed the Paiste Mini China with my percussion set up (the timbale part on the left side of the set-up).

User Info Menu

Default Re: Nice score for Drumbledore.....New Paiste Mini China and 2nd Hand Zildjian Orient

Z Oriental chinas are DYNAMITE! They sound great. I have a 10" Sabian china splash that I really really like too.

User Info Menu

Nice drumbledore! I've got a 12" China that gives me a nice accent China, so I know what you were after. It would be real interesting to hear an 8" China, though. I also have a 12" Wuhan Splash that I like. Yours looks more like a 10", right?

Congrats on the new toys!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

PB, if it's the Oriental Trash Splash in my drumkit set-up that you're referring to, it's actually a 9". At the time when they came out, they manufactured them in 7" and 9" sizes, since then they've also made an 11" one, I believe. Not sure if they're still making the 7" anymore though, I could be wrong about that though.

User Info Menu

Hey, I knew what I meant. I sure don't understand why you had any question about it!

Sorry for not be more specific, but you were right on. I have never seen a 9" Splash.

That 9" makes me think: every maufacturer does a 2" separation in sizes between their Splashes. The melodic side of me wonders what it would sound like to have Splashes from one manufacturer, with just a 1" separation.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Funny you should mention that PB. Paiste 2002 splashes are available in 8", 10", 11" and 12". I can remember doing comparisons between the 10" and 11" many years ago at a drum shop before I settled for a 10" version (long cracked and gone, the victim of my earlier gigging years!).

Here's one thing though. I have 4 Paiste cup chimes (also from the 2002 line) and they differ in size by only a half inch....ie: 5", 5.5", 6" and 6.5". You do notice quite a pitch difference with those, but whether that works with thin effects cymbals like splashes, not sure.

User Info Menu

That's interesting Drumbledore, and thanks for the response. I have always thought that on songs that have softer passages, but a real melodic movement, it might be nice to have the series of Splahes that could be played melodically. I would think the Splashes would lend themselves to that much more than the Crashes, although I have done it with Crashes on louder songs.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    That's interesting Drumbledore, and thanks for the response. I have always thought that on songs that have softer passages, but a real melodic movement, it might be nice to have the series of Splahes that could be played melodically. I would think the Splashes would lend themselves to that much more than the Crashes, although I have done it with Crashes on louder songs.
    PB, that's pretty much a trick that the great French drummer Manu Katche does to great effect.....one of his trademarks.

Stewie Copeland doing the same thing, again with behind Sting. Heaps of splash accents in quiet spots on this song.

Splashes and cup chimes a-plenty on this track, courtesy of Chad Wackerman.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    PB, if it's the Oriental Trash Splash in my drumkit set-up that you're referring to, it's actually a 9". At the time when they came out, they manufactured them in 7" and 9" sizes, since then they've also made an 11" one, I believe. Not sure if they're still making the 7" anymore though, I could be wrong about that though.
    Ahh yes, the Oriental Trash splash. I wanted a 9" for a long time. That led me to the 10" Sabian china splash. It was in stock and sounded good and the oriental was not in stock.

User Info Menu

hey nice score d-dore! I think I had the china on one of my many ebay scans. Was that an ebay dealie too? I have a crappy ZBT China I'm going to sell via CL then get one via the bay of better standing.

GAS as always.

User Info Menu

Wr Stix, the Oriental china & Gajate bracket I found via Gumtree over here in Australia, not eBay. The Paiste Mini China is a new one I bought from a local drum store.

User Info Menu

Nice one bro. Get a small case of gas did we? lol.
    Man, I have never owned a splash - too scared of splitting them in two with my big 5B's.
    I know this is gonna sound stupid mate, but do you hit them differently than a crash?
    Tama Rockstar & Paiste User and Abuser......

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by spesman View Post
    Nice one bro. Get a small case of gas did we? lol.
    Man, I have never owned a splash - too scared of splitting them in two with my big 5B's.
    I know this is gonna sound stupid mate, but do you hit them differently than a crash?
    Lol....you this this is a GAS problem? It's nothing.....yesterday I got confirmation of a major, big-ticket item that I've been paying off will be delivered to Sydney by next week....stay tuned for that one (in fact, that is a clue unto itself, lol).

Splashes. Well, the thing is, how hard are you hitting your crashes with 5B's at the moment? Wrist? Forearm? Or Neanderthal? Well, I can tell you, if you're going for 'paper thin' splashes with a 5B or heavier stick, you'll burn a hole in your back pocket quickly.

The fortunate thing, is that there are a number of heavier weight splashes out there. For instance, I also own two Paiste RUDE splashes, one a 10" that I got many years back and an 8" one (which you won't find in their present catalogue.....I requested that as a custom made size, which they did as a 3000 RUDE with red writing). That little one is a pretty tough one, and being an unlathed cymbal it's got a little rawness about it. And yet it can still mix in amongst my other splashes and effects pretty well.....it's almost crotale-like in it's overtones, and I also use it very occasionally in some percussion set-ups mixed with a cup chime, splashes and other effects.

As for myself, even though I can belt pretty hard, I leave that to if I was playing harder styles again. Generally, if I'm playing kit my stick is an 8A.....slightly heavier than a 7A, but way lighter than a 5A. I tend to use a light, loose wrist and forearm motion and a bit of the snap of my fingers whenever I crash cymbals. Usually because a lot of the times that I set up I'll keep splashes and other small cymbals within easy reach first, then the main crashes, china etc are a little higher up, then I don't need to strike those smaller lighter cymbals with a lot of arm, saving the distress of cracking them. But over time, even the most careful hitter may (perhaps may not? I can't vouch for everyone's playing) will eventually wear down and crack a splash or two.

Personally, I think over time, and this is no exaggeration, I would have bought dozens of splashes which have eventually cracked, been recycled or had to turf out because they'd be unsalvageable. I've got an 8" Paiste Dimensions Thin Splash that is already a bit dented up.....it still sounds great and records well, but I know, give it a year, maybe two, and that one will eventually go. For me, it's just one of those things. But I can understand your concern, all I can say is give them a go. Do you have a particular brand in mind, or are you open to any brand? I've owned Sabians, Zildjians, UFIPS, Meinls....even now I have a few Wuhans.....so I don't just focus on Paistes, and I can vouch for all sorts of brands. So drive the shopkeepers mad next time you're looking for a splash.....heck I do, all the time! Lol.

User Info Menu

Cheers bro. I play pretty hard as you may know, and when I get wound up I hit even harder lol.
    There's a 10" Paiste PST3 splash at Derringers in town and they only want $40 for it brand new. I haven't tried any of the PST3's in any size, so I'll be checking that one out for sure. As for my crash's (Paiste 802's) they have lasted me many years of absolute punishment - no key holes, no cracks - nothing. My technique is a lot better than when I was a kid just smashing things I must admit.
    You've given me plenty to think about my friend and I am eternally grateful.

Ps....this major big ticket item wouldn't be a xylophone or glok or something like that would it? (considering it's a tuned instrument ).

User Info Menu

You're getting warm......very warm.

My Yamaha vibraphone arrives next week. Xylophones and glocks are chicken feed in comparison to the cost of this baby, lol. I've got a little more than a grand to pay off next week and that's that.

Spessie, if you've got Paiste 802's, I wouldn't go for the PST3's....see if they have a PST5splash...might be paying a bit more (but just a tiny bit) but basically your 802's, PST5's, PST8's, Alpha's, 2002's and RUDES all use the same CuSn8 bronze (as well as a bunch of discontinued lines that you can come across like the 505's, 1000's, 2000's and 3000's), just different ways they've been hammered and lathed (RUDES not being lathed, of course). PST3's are brass unfortunately. Also, PST5's are available in 8" as well as 10", and if that shop doesn't have them, they should be able to get it in for you at least.

User Info Menu

Ha!! I knew somehow it would be a xylo or something close. Nailed it.

Yeah, there had to be a reason why the PST3's are so cheap, and I guess that's it.
    I would really love a 10" rude, but the saying "rare as hens teeth" comes to mind.
    I'll pop into the shop when I'm going past and try a few out.
    Once again bro, full of useful information. Cheers man.

User Info Menu

You really like them Paiste's, doncha.

User Info Menu

Lol, AlmostMatt, yeah you could say that, but I'm not that exclusive with them. As you can see, the kit pictures have two Zildjian Orientals. I also own the following non-Paiste items:

12" & 14" Zildjian ZBT Plus Chinas
    20" UFIP Classic Ride(really heavy and pingy this one)
    6.5" UFIP Ice Bell
    20" Zildjian K Ride (@50's-60's vintage, made in Turkey)
    16" Zildjian K Crash (similar to the ride mentioned above, badly damaged, got it for free though!)
    15" Fisaggi Crash/Ride (got that with my Trixon Co.cktail kit)
    10" Fisaggi Hi-Hats (as above)
    Three 8" Wuhan Splashes
    18" Stagg Wind Gong.

I will say this though, for percussionists, Paiste covers so many different sounds that it is impossible not be fascinated by it all.