Thread: Gig Purposes -- hardware bag ? trap case ?

User Info Menu

Default Gig Purposes -- hardware bag ? trap case ?

In getting my old Gretsch set gig-ready, I have all I need for the transport and protection of the shells but I'm still wondering how I might deal with cymbals and stands, including a Roc-n-Soc throne.
    In the past, I've always used a trap case to protect cymbals and transport stands (even when utilizing a rack set-up).

I can still do that, but I need to go buy a new one..............before I commit to that, are there other options out there that are the better choice ?

Cymbal vaults ?
    Stand/hardware bags ?
    What ?
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Default Re: Gig Purposes -- hardware bag ? trap case ?

I keep my cymbals in a cymbal bag and my hardware in a golf travel case. It's heavy but it works. My RnS top goes in the floor tom case.

User Info Menu

I was just about to say a golf case on craigslist can be like $40-$60 lmao.

Cymbals need a bag at least. I've got the sabian cymbal bac pac
    -Steven

User Info Menu

I use the Hulmes & Berg soft cases for my drums, hardware & cymbals. Been using them since 1992 and love em~!
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

I use the Sabian cymbal bag. Holds up to a 22" and has a separate front pocket for splashes.

For hardware, I have two Gibraltar bags. One's 54" long, the other is 48". If you're not carrying around anything too long, the 48" bag is great

DW Performance Series
    Peavey Radial Pro RBS-1
    Roland TDW-20

Gibraltar rack system
    Sabian AA/AAX/HHX/Vault
    Tama pedals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    I keep my cymbals in a cymbal bag and my hardware in a golf travel case. It's heavy but it works. My RnS top goes in the floor tom case.

I remember commenting on this before...very cleaver idea..and some of these golf cases have WHEELS to boot!
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MartyM View Post
    I remember commenting on this before...very cleaver idea..and some of these golf cases have WHEELS to boot!
    Mine has wheels. That's a huge help.

User Info Menu

Marko, that is one top idea, i'm getting a hard case for my hardware, i'm gonna have a look around at the golf case's now, very very good idea.

cheers Mark
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by markthechuck View Post
    Marko, that is one top idea, i'm getting a hard case for my hardware, i'm gonna have a look around at the golf case's now, very very good idea.

cheers Mark
    It works great. Highly recommended.

User Info Menu

I used a hard plastic golf club case that I picked up at thrift store for about two years. It worked well, but wasn't strong enough for the amount of stands I Had in it. (5 or 6).

The hinges and wheels were the biggest problem...they just weren't sturdy enough for the weight and how much it got kicked around. But - it only cost my $15. Eventually the wheels and hinges became to shot to repair, and then it cracked.

I now have a heavy duty, strong plastic case that I installed wheels on - works well. Bought it off a friend. It must be 20 years old, but it's strong as an ox. No hinges, only a lid with a strap. Anything that breaks, when and if, can be easily replaced.

I also have a soft case/bag that I used. But I made the mistake of putting a high hat stand in it, and the hihat rod poked a hole in the end. It did this several times without me noticing, and eventually....those holes just got worse, and it ultimately ruined it.

I still use it for some mic stands, but I've been keeping my eye out for something different. I'll pick something up used eventually.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

I just use a hockey bag.

User Info Menu

This is the what it takes for me to gig with a 4pc. kit, sans a back up snare, fan and an ice chest for cold drinks. My hihat and cymbal stands get packed in a Gibraltar soft hardware bag. The throne, spare heads, and tools get packed in an old Anvil trap case. I use a mix of bags and old school Anvil cases for local gigs.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    I just use a hockey bag.
    ^
    Yes
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Here are my hardware bags:

This one's for the rack, if I take it:

This one's for all the other hardware:

I try to keep things as easy on my back as I can.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post

For my Gretsch gig-set, I have the same floor tom case and trap case...............................as well as a matching larger one for the 24" bass...................................my 13" and 15" toms and the snare all line up in an old anvil metal case on wheels.........it is great.

So what I have left are the cymbals and hardware.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    For my Gretsch gig-set, I have the same floor tom case and trap case...............................as well as a matching larger one for the 24" bass...................................my 13" and 15" toms and the snare all line up in an old anvil metal case on wheels.........it is great.

So what I have left are the cymbals and hardware.
    The Anvil metal case on wheels that houses your 13", 15" and snare is a Godsend! I wanted to set up my gig rig to accomodate one hardcase to house at least 2 rack toms and a snare but I also haul a small PA system if it's needed.

With only a 4x4 pick-up truck that's capable of can handling the gear, I need to be able to 'break up' the load so I can stash the smaller stuff in the nooks and cranny of the extended cab and the bigger more bulkier equipment and gets stuffed into the back bed. A trailer would be ideal for my situation but the lack of resources makes it a less of a priority at this point in my life.

User Info Menu

SKB cymbal vault is a must have for me. Lifetime warranty, ultimate protection.

For hardware I also use a SKB case that holds all my stands, have a separate tray for my double pedal, and I can even fit my throne in it. Yes, it has wheels. Lol

Expensive yes, but worth every penny in the long run.
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

I guess it all depends on how you will be transporting your kit. Back when I was gigging we had a 20 foot box truck so I made my own cases. Three rectangular boxes made of plywood reinforced with metal "L" bar. I carpeted the inside of two of them, one held my two kick drums, the other my toms and snare. The third held my cymbals, pedals and all hardware. Each case had heavy duty wheels and handles.

If your limited to using a car to transport I'd go with drum bags, cymbal bag, and a long hardware bag.

I own a cargo van now, whenever I move my kit I don't even use cases. Plenty of room to just let them sit on the carpeted floor.