Thread: Snare

User Info Menu

Default Snare

My snare sounds like a tom unless im hitting it pretty hard and in the center. Ive tried tightening the snares, I fiddled with the head some, not sure it really did anything. Any recommendations? HELP

User Info Menu

Default Re: Snare

I'd venture to say something's amiss with your strainer. When you say you've tightened the snare wires - how did you go about that?

One time I busted the reso head of one of my snares, so I threw an old batter head on it- totally changed the way the drum sounded and almost eliminated the snare's effectiveness. Make sure you have a resonant head and not a batter head on the snare side as well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialAnthony View Post
    I'd venture to say something's amiss with your strainer. When you say you've tightened the snare wires - how did you go about that?

One time I busted the reso head of one of my snares, so I threw an old batter head on it- totally changed the way the drum sounded and almost eliminated the snare's effectiveness. Make sure you have a resonant head and not a batter head on the snare side as well.
    well I just tightened the knob on the snare strainer, but its a brand new snare. (online) definitely a reso head on that side. pretty stumped because you can hear and feel the snares being snagged by the strainer but...
    Last edited by sweatydrooler; 11-30-2012 at 10:33 AM.

User Info Menu

This is probably a stupid question but, are the snare wires even touching the head?

User Info Menu

Mark - not a stupid question at all, because that's where I was headed. I wondered if by tightening the wires the OP was just turning the knob. This won't do much if the snare wires are still too loose in the strainer!

Sweaty- loosen the knob all the way, then come back to the halfway point. Then tighten your snare wires where they attach to make sure they are semi tight against the head. My bet is that they are jut too loose at the mounting point, so no amount of knob turning will tense them enough.

User Info Menu

Thanks Anthony for saying my question wasn't stupid(although I felt it was kind of a logical question).

My next question, is the hoop bent on the bottom of the snare?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialAnthony View Post
    Mark - not a stupid question at all, because that's where I was headed. I wondered if by tightening the wires the OP was just turning the knob. This won't do much if the snare wires are still too loose in the strainer!

Sweaty- loosen the knob all the way, then come back to the halfway point. Then tighten your snare wires where they attach to make sure they are semi tight against the head. My bet is that they are jut too loose at the mounting point, so no amount of knob turning will tense them enough.
    this was my original approach as the first time I tightened the knob I tightened it to the point where I coulfn't even lift the strainer. loosened it to where I could and still no luck. and the snares are touching the head

User Info Menu

I agree with the above. Like Anthony said unscrew the knob to mid point. Then undo the snare wire ends by the strings. Make sure the wires are centered on both sides.Then pul on the strings and knot them. Now turn the throw off on and start truning knob till you hear the wires touching the head. This should fix it if not then look for a piece of cardboard or tape that might be on the reso head or in between the reso and the wires. I hope this makes sense to you. Good luck

User Info Menu

No offense SD, but I have to ask . . . are you sure the snare wires are not upside down?
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Good point PB - we may need pictures at this point to solve the mystery!!

User Info Menu

It might also be tuned so tight that the heads are completely choked.

User Info Menu

It may be that the snares are TOO tight. On my Edge, if I have the snares tight on the loosest of the 3-buttplate settings, when I put it on the tightest setting, the drum sounds crisp, punchy and stacatto, but if I strike it softly the snares hardly respond at all, sounding like a tom. Loosening the snares again returns the "biffyness" and sensitivity.
    S-drool has likely tried loosening the snares but that's the only input I've got other than the other suggestions. You could also loosen both heads all the way and bring them up a 1/2 turn per lug at a time and eliminate the possibility of one or both heads being too loose/tight.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by noreastbob View Post
    It may be that the snares are TOO tight. On my Edge, if I have the snares tight on the loosest of the 3-buttplate settings, when I put it on the tightest setting, the drum sounds crisp, punchy and stacatto, but if I strike it softly the snares hardly respond at all, sounding like a tom. Loosening the snares again returns the "biffyness" and sensitivity.
    S-drool has likely tried loosening the snares but that's the only input I've got other than the other suggestions. You could also loosen both heads all the way and bring them up a 1/2 turn per lug at a time and eliminate the possibility of one or both heads being too loose/tight.

i think this was the issue, After a couple days of marathon playing I think everything has loosened up a bit and its sounding pretty killer. I didn't end up doing anything but if I had to guess it would be that everything all the way around on the drum was too tight.

User Info Menu

@sweaty what kind of head are you using on the rezo side, and how tight is it?
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

What kind a size of a snare is it? do you still have the stock heads and wires? your reso may be to tight and you may benefit by getting some better aftermarket wires, maybe more strands. I would suggest loosening your reso and see if that helps. Generally stock heads and wires don't bring out the best of any snare drum.

User Info Menu

yeah all the heads are stock. just got everything in the mail together. I had aquarian powerstroke coated heads on my last snare and I liked it, but it was a steel snare, not sure how much I wanna put that on the maple.