Thread: Playing E Drums live

User Info Menu

Default Playing E Drums live

I just purchased a full range active pa speaker to use while playing live. Havent received it yet. I was wondering if i'm going to need a powered sub to go with it, should I get a second cabinet and a sub? I dont know how loud it will be. The playing range is 35hz-20k, its a single 15" woofer with 1.75" horn. It is bi-amped, 255w RMS for low range, and 45w RMS for the high range. Also as a second question, it has two 1/4" inputs listed as mic 1 and mic 2. Can I use both inputs as left and right signal from my drum module?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Playing E Drums live

Live sound isnt in stereo so just use your mono output.

User Info Menu

so the fade from left to right on my kit doesnt matter? A friend who performs everyweek said his guitar amp is 250w and he plays outdoor shows easily with it. Recommended that my 300w Active speaker should be plenty loud for small to med size shows. Ive never performed with an electronic kit, dont know how big of cabinets to get. I was originally thinking an iNuke 1000 amp and a 2x15" cabinet but i was told that would be too big and loud

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jhguitar87 View Post
    I just purchased a full range active pa speaker to use while playing live. Havent received it yet. I was wondering if i'm going to need a powered sub to go with it, should I get a second cabinet and a sub? I dont know how loud it will be. The playing range is 35hz-20k, its a single 15" woofer with 1.75" horn. It is bi-amped, 255w RMS for low range, and 45w RMS for the high range. Also as a second question, it has two 1/4" inputs listed as mic 1 and mic 2. Can I use both inputs as left and right signal from my drum module?
    Yes, I would recommend a second cabinet with subs and have it powered by it's own amp. I bi-amp my drum PA with a 234 dbx crossover so I have adjustability to keep the lows from over-working the mains. The subs (18") have a 2x 700 watts, the mains (15") and monitors (15") have 600 watts ea. The subs will add so much to the kick and NR is correct, run the PA in mono mix.

User Info Menu

No you dont want stereo and here is why, in a club if a sound only comes out of one side of the speakers only half the audience will hear it.

User Info Menu

Thanks you guys for being so helpful. I'll look into saving for another 15" cab like the one I ordered, and look for what size sub to get the deep floor shaking bass? I use some really low samples for songs and I know that 15 won't play them

User Info Menu

E-kits are tricky when it comes to live playing. A friend of mine is always telling me that he needs someone in the audience to tell him to adjust his volume cause he cannot hear himself through his headphones and what might be loud to him is not with the audience. You got to have a sound man to control the loudness and harmony of the band when playing live.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post

.........Late8......love those old e-kits............they look much better than todays little kits.............actually like drums. I like the way you mixed the old and new.

User Info Menu

I just purchased a full range active pa speaker to use while playing live. Havent received it yet. I was wondering if i'm going to need a powered sub to go with it, . Can I use both inputs as left and right signal from my drum module?
    I don't feel the need for a sub on mine. I run thru triamped active 15" PA along with the bass, guitar, SPD and vocals.

If the PA is just for drums, you might be setting it up along side your kit and a stereo signal would be appropriate.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    .........Late8......love those old e-kits............they look much better than todays little kits.............actually like drums. I like the way you mixed the old and new.
    Thanks LG!

User Info Menu

So if the PA is solely for my kit, and the speakers are in front of my set then stereo would be alright? I just want it to give the audience the feel of an acoustic set

User Info Menu

So if the PA is solely for my kit, and the speakers are in front of my set then stereo would be alright? I just want it to give the audience the feel of an acoustic set
    In my opinion, the drums should be mono mix too for a live show. That way both sides of the room will have an equal balance of the kit. Example: You don't want to be standing on one side of the room and only hear left or right side of the kit, you want the audience to hear the full range of the kit no matter where they stand in the room hence the mono mix for PA. If you stand in front of an accoustic kit, the sound is projected as a whole. Yes, there are cymbals to the left, right, center and yes there are toms to the left and right of the kit but the overall sound comes from the entire range of the kit. Are you confusing a drum monitor for the kit (what you're calling PA) verses FOH (Front of House) speakers? They both should be in mono.

User Info Menu

Well I was looking at things like the Simmons DA200S, I heard it at guitar center and thought it sounded great. But I didnt know if it would be loud enough for a show or if it is specifically a monitor. The guys there aimed me to the pro audio department. My brother-in-law is an established DJ and has a large array of lights and his own speakers/subs that he uses for clubs and weddings he performs at. He was going to sell me 2 Harbinger APS12 speakers for $200. They are 150w each. I tested my drums on them and they knocked tools off the walls of his garage, without pushing them. He ended up selling them since I didnt have money at that time. So I looked for other $200 speakers... I ended up getting a Gemini RS415 after seeing a lot of positive reviews and videos. I'm a car audio tech, not a live sound tech... I appreciate the help from all you folks on here!

User Info Menu

I got a jbl mrx515 running through a crown xti2000. Sounds awesome for practice... I still gotta get the other speaker and the subs. Will sound amazing live with all that as front of house. I think next gig we do i'm gonna use my practice set up as a side fill on stage. Biggest problem we have with e kits live is lack of feeling. You hear tap tap tap coming from the drummer and boom boom boom from your speakers. Kinda annoying but such good sounds (sometimes ) out the e kits.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

The audience isn't sophisticated enough to feel the difference.

If your other players are using stage amps, you can too. I'd put them behind or at least off to the side, pointing in a bit so YOU can feel them. When I play live without enough monitor, I know it sounds OK at the FOH but it takes away from the experience when I hear the sticks or kick beater slapping the pads.