Thread: Getting a Roland TD-11KV (yay!), and drumming class for kids question

User Info Menu

Smile Getting a Roland TD-11KV (yay!), and drumming class for kids question

So excited don't know where to start my question! Anyway both of my girls (age 8&9) loves drumming. Now they are 4 months into private drumming lessons (and I secretly learn from their text book and Youtube). Being lack of equipment we've been practicing on a demo TD-4KX2 in one of the biggest chain electronic store.

My husband has finally transferred me the money so we're getting the TD-11KV with 4 mesh, which everyone sells for $1,599.00. So my first question is... should I order it through the biggest electronic store (pro:4% cashback in member reward and local storefront), a local music instrument shop (pro: better service?) or one of the many online shop (pro: just $50 more you get throne, kick pedal and headphones, which we need )? If we're not likely to run into return/exchange problem I guess any will do, but are they all equally easy to work with if you happened to get a defective product?

The other thing is my girls' private drumming lessons has been based on a "drum essential" text book, with which they'd work on the beats from one page to the other. Of course learning the basic is vital, but the ultimate goal is for them (and for me plus my 5 yr old son) to be able to improv (is this the term?). I think they should start practicing with music with and without the drum track. To be a great drummer you've got to be able to play it by ear, literally, right?

Any feedback on where to get the drums will be much appreciated! Also need tips on best ways to obtain the skills to improv and eventually being able to play in a band, at a church or school. Thanks!!!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Getting a Roland TD-11KV (yay!), and drumming class for kids question

Welcome to Drum Chat Shan! It's very cool that you and your girls are all enjoying drumming (even though you're a closet drummer, it still counts ). As far as where to get your e-kit, a lot would depend on the quality of the local music store. It's always nice to make a connection with a local store, because the service tends to be more personal verses the online stores, which is more like ordering from a catalogue. On the other hand, most online stores have a liberal return policy if you are in any way unhappy with your purchase. I have done a lot of business through my local music stores, and I have made purchases through online retailers. As to the electronic store, it would have to be an exceptional deal for me to make my music purchase there, and I would have to have done all the necessary research to know exactly what I want. The electronic stores will be limited on their ability to provide knowledgeable guidance in making a purchase.

Just my 2 cents, and again, welcome.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Getting a Roland TD-11KV (yay!), and drumming class for kids question

Quote Originally Posted by Shan View Post
    So excited don't know where to start my question! Anyway both of my girls (age 8&9) loves drumming. Now they are 4 months into private drumming lessons (and I secretly learn from their text book and Youtube). Being lack of equipment we've been practicing on a demo TD-4KX2 in one of the biggest chain electronic store.

My husband has finally transferred me the money so we're getting the TD-11KV with 4 mesh, which everyone sells for $1,599.00. So my first question is... should I order it through the biggest electronic store (pro:4% cashback in member reward and local storefront), a local music instrument shop (pro: better service?) or one of the many online shop (pro: just $50 more you get throne, kick pedal and headphones, which we need )? If we're not likely to run into return/exchange problem I guess any will do, but are they all equally easy to work with if you happened to get a defective product?

The other thing is my girls' private drumming lessons has been based on a "drum essential" text book, with which they'd work on the beats from one page to the other. Of course learning the basic is vital, but the ultimate goal is for them (and for me plus my 5 yr old son) to be able to improv (is this the term?). I think they should start practicing with music with and without the drum track. To be a great drummer you've got to be able to play it by ear, literally, right?

Any feedback on where to get the drums will be much appreciated! Also need tips on best ways to obtain the skills to improv and eventually being able to play in a band, at a church or school. Thanks!!!
    Since pb answered your first question I'll answer your second. practicing to music along with lessons shouldn't be a problem or anything like that. I personally grew up without lessons and always just practiced to music, and most people on this forum will agree that im the best drummer here because of it haha jk. But seriously practicing to music should be good. If you want them to develop an ear for music though i would play alot of different styles of music for them, and nothing with a drum machine or programmed instruments(i don't even listen to songs with programmed instruments). Is there a style of music they particularly like listening to? i'd get em started listening to alot of different styles early on, so they can have an advanced ear for music when they get older. Heck your kids could become participants of the modern drum festival one day.
    DW Remo Vic Firth Zidljian

User Info Menu

Thank you both for the feedbacks! That give me quite a few things to think about.

I do have my mind set on TD-11KV after a lot of research, and trying out different sets. Husband now in the war zone with good pay so it's like buy now or never. I like that it'll be great quality, and adjustable for all 3 kids. I remember 2 1/2 years ago a drum teacher refused to teach my girls, saying they were too short to reach the kick pedals and too restless...Now my 5 yr old son expressed great interest and I'll let no one tell me again my child is too young!

Yes I will continue to have them listen to all types of music. It was funny yesterday when we tried to pick out the drums in a pop song being aired, only to find there was no drum part whatsoever! There're so much to learn and we're all very excited!

User Info Menu

I'm curious, is there a reason you're going with an E-kit instead of an Acoustic kit? Is there a noise issue where you need to be able to play at a low volume?

User Info Menu

I think the best deal would be through a store like Kraft where for $50 more you get the needed accessories. Plus ordering online saves you sales tax which could could easily add another $100 to your costs.

Playing along to songs is fun but I think there is more actual learning done by practicing the lessons. You need a foundation to build on, and even though kids might not want to practice them rudiments are the key. I hated rudiments as a kid and just wanted to play, now I sit and practice rudiments over and over.

User Info Menu

Go to your local store and buy. show them the ad that you get a free throne and pedal and they will almost definitely match it. Being it that I work at one of said music stores I can confidently say that. Brick and mortar music stores would rather discount their merchandise than lose a sale, especially to a competitor.

Then you also have a "guy" that will help you with anything. Setup,questions, whatever.

Also if you have any technical problems.. Bring to the store and return. No shipping back items or worrying about replacing any defective items.
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

Shan, please relay to your husband that I am grateful for his service and sacrifice, and I am also grateful for the sacrifices made by the family while he is away. Respect.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shan View Post
    Thank you both for the feedbacks! That give me quite a few things to think about.

I do have my mind set on TD-11KV after a lot of research, and trying out different sets. Husband now in the war zone with good pay so it's like buy now or never. I like that it'll be great quality, and adjustable for all 3 kids. I remember 2 1/2 years ago a drum teacher refused to teach my girls, saying they were too short to reach the kick pedals and too restless...Now my 5 yr old son expressed great interest and I'll let no one tell me again my child is too young!

Yes I will continue to have them listen to all types of music. It was funny yesterday when we tried to pick out the drums in a pop song being aired, only to find there was no drum part whatsoever! There're so much to learn and we're all very excited!
    Yea stay well enough away from pop music, rap, and some r&b. r&b is actually cool to listen to live, but most(not all the time, but most) of the time on recordings there using programmed music.
    DW Remo Vic Firth Zidljian

User Info Menu

As a player of over 30 years, I'll add my 2 cents, cuz that's what we do here on DC.
    If your gonna go electronic drums, I agree with the choice of mesh heads. I have played on a mesh kit recently and found the feel pretty cool. Conversely, I do not like the feel of rubber pads I have played.
    I would highly highly highly recommend getting an acoustic set in the near future. To truly strike a drum and have the heads vibrate and resound with your touch is a unique experience that is far more satisfying to most drummers than any electronic system could be. Same goes for real cymbals. To play an acoustic kit is a different skill set than playing an e-kit. Your children will need both, IMHO.
    I would go on to say that playing along with music from the get go is a fabulous idea. The ability to listen to the other instruments as your playing as well as follow a drummer is crucial to improv skills. A drummer who can't listen to the rest of the ensemble is way under the one who can. Chops and tricks mean nothing without ears and taste, which can only be learned through listening and emulation, which will then naturally transform into style as your kids grow up and improve.
    That is not to diminish the need for rudiments and disciplined practice. Absolutely crucial as well. After all these years, I still play through a bunch of rudiments as part of my warm-up. I most certainly use rudimentary (?) technique as I play, but with style and groove, if you get what I mean.
    With all that the internet has to offer; YouTube, Drummchannel, Hudson Music, etc, you could sit around all day and check out different drummers and styles of music performances from all over the globe. I envy your kids the beginning of this grand adventure into the world of drumming and percussion.
    Oh, and yes yes yes, start the 5 y/o right away! That teacher is an idiot. Not to mention that he turned away a student in today's economy? Double idiot!
    Where do you live? I'll teach him! If he's interested now, let him play. Could be a prodigy for all we know.
    I know this is a long response but...
    I would also strongly suggest you teach them to read and play piano music. This will also give them a severe advantage and open up a whole other avenue for expression.
    Good luck and have fun!
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

Aww... Thank everyone of you for replying and giving the most valuable 2 cents! My husband ended up ordering through Kraft. The TD-11KV was fantastic and easy to put together and adjustable, but the quality of the "drum essential bundle"-- kick pad, throne, headset and sticks are so-so, but will do for now. Now I'm dying for a good amp!!!

We all practice daily and have so much fun (I also practice after kids gone to bed). Oh yes love the 4 mesh pads! The coach function really helped me with time-keeping, and I love that you can stick in a flash drive for more songs. A few days ago I let kids stay up past bedtime when I discovered the "Roland V-Drums Friend Jam". I just need to connect a laptop to the drumset with an USB cable (from my printer), then I can practice with all kinds of songs and get a score/feedback on a few different aspects of my performance. Then it shows how I rank amongst other drummers from all over the place. This really helps to keep things interesting.

Yes it totally helped to watch (online) how others play. I copy how they do it and am very happy I can always pick up something new. If it's not too difficult I would show the clips to all 3 kids and have them try. It always amazes me how fast other can strike the drums. Wow... I guess you just have to practice like mad to be that good.

2 1/2 years ago when the drum teacher refused to teach my then 6 and 5 year old girls, they started piano the same week, and they've never stop taking it. It does help them tremendously with drumming. My older girl's goal is to play drums at the church's kid's Christmas program in 2013. None of the kids that performed this past Christmas was a drummer. Indeed there's no drummer whatsoever at our church... So I'm looking forward to the day when we'll be good enough to fill the void.

Definitely somewhere down the road we should get an acoustic kit. For now TD-11KV is very practical. We all played for my husband on Skype with video, and that's one more motivation for us (especially me) to play it well.

Thank you all again for everything. You guys totally ROCK! Happy New Year and God bless!