Thread: How to Embed Youtube Videos

User Info Menu

Default How to Embed Youtube Videos

Recently, youtube has changed some of the ways that you can share and embed youtube videos. Because there are already so many great videos shared on DrumChat, we are keeping the same button and BB Code for embedding videos, but there are some things to keep in mind when you want to share a video.

1 - Make sure to use the Full URL

Copy the URL from the address bar in your browser, do not copy the shortened URL generated when you press share:

2 - Don't include other URL options

Make sure that the URL that you're using doesn't have extraneous info. Sometimes Youtube adds extra modifiers to the URL of the video you're watching, and the only info we need is the video's 11 digit identification number. For instance, in the following image, you would only want to copy the highlighted part of the URL:

It looks confusing, but if you'd like to learn more, it's easy to understand when you break down the URL:

youtube.com/watch?v=9bZkp7q19f0&feature=youtu.be

youtube.com/watch - This is the base of the URL.
    ? - This question mark tells youtube that the following text in the URL contains information to be plugged in so they know what video to show you.
    v=9bZkp7q19f0 - THIS is the video identification number, it should be the only info you copy along with "youtube.com/watch?".
    & - This tells youtube that the last bit of information is complete and that there is another bit of information in the URL.
    feature=youtu.be - This is an example of extraneous information that you do not want to copy when sharing on DrumChat. In this case, it is just telling youtube that you've followed a youtu.be link to the current video.

3 - Ask if you need help!

If the above doesn't help you, feel free to PM either one of the moderators or myself!
    - Admin

We are proud to present one of the net's largest drum forums. Please click the following link if you need assistance with our Drum Chat forum. | Drum Chat is brought to you by Drum Bum, Inc. featuring Cool Gifts for Drummers & all Musicians & Custom Drumsticks

User Info Menu

Default Re: How to Embed Youtube Videos

Beautifully written and illustrated guide! Thank you so much for posting this. It should really help a lot of people. I'm gonna put it in my sig to help pass along the info(if that's okay).
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I'll need to ear mark this somehow...can you help with this, su admin ?
    Most definitely. As a matter of fact, there will be "NO LIMIT"... just an unending quagmire of musical genius.

User Info Menu

Why are the videos we post disappearing? Or are they? I don't think there's anything wrong with my computer
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    Why are the videos we post disappearing? Or are they? I don't think there's anything wrong with my computer
    It could be a number of reasons. If it was a youtube link, the YouTube account of the person who posted it is gone or moved the video or renamed it or it was shut down for copyright reasons… etc.

User Info Menu

As well, the format for videos changed in Drum Chat years back (sorry I can't remember the year but I believe it was around 8 to 10 years ago or so). So, videos that were posted in this forum beyond that time, don't display anymore. They can be revived (if they're still online) and occasionally, I'll correct one if it's an important thread. But for the most part, it would be an arduous and unnecessary task.